I'm breaking my TZD - anyone want the engine?

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Linegeist wrote:The problem for me is that I know the TZD and its history. It's a for-real 1-owner, 80,000 mile car. Okay, so the old chap who originally bought it new had poor depth perception, but he never thrashed it, the running gear's perfect, the engine leak free and the car's a known quantity for me.
Which begs the question then Bob why on earth are you going to break it!

Just my opinion but I think you will regret it.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

<Sigh!> It's been a long debated choice Tim, but I now have two good BX's - just in different ways.

The TZD is mechanically great but cosmetically dreadful.
The Athena was a bag of spanners but cosmetically mint. It's now mechanically reasonable once more.
I only logically have room on my drive for 2 cars and the Bora's nearly new, so getting rid of that would see me singing falsetto in double quick time.

The mechanical work on the Athena is easier to carry out (and can be done so piecemeal) than the dents and scrapes on the TZD, plus the Athena has a sunroof, plenty of space in the engine bay and is, mechanically speaking, fairly simple compared to the shoehorned-in Turbo Diesel. Using the best parts from the TZD I reckon I make the Athena a lot better (and repair some of the bodged repairs it's had in the past).

In any case, I'm already seeing green algae starting to sprout on the TZD and she's only been sorned for 3 months. Trying to store her outdoors here (no room in the workshop - that's reserved for the Bora and the Skorpion) in this damp maritime climate will see her start to compost within 6 - 8 months.

I know I'll probably regret it - but using the TZD as a donor and giving someone off here a decent diesel engine seems a better use of the car than letting it slowly rot away on my drive. :cry:

Strewth chaps! You'd think I was trying to give away a dose of Itchy Jockstrap, the flak I'm taking here. Image Image :lol:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It's only to be expected. But none of it is malicious!

Do what you like, as I said, and if someone gets your diesel engine (horrid, smelly things! :lol: :wink: ) then it can only be good.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Of course Poltergeist you can do as you choose. The choice of engines you have betwixt the 1.6 and the TZD will split many an opinion.

It\'s always a bit awkward scrapping a car but personally speaking, I\'d keep the TZD. It doesn\'t have to be thrashed to be enjoyed, it returns good economy and I always consider diesels less hassle than a petrol.

\'Morally\' (if you like), there is no reason to choose one over the other. I have to say though (and this wont help you!) that daily I drive the 16v and if one BX had to go, it\'d be the TZD, BUT, every time I get into the TZD (like 10 minutes ago) I always think - I just love this car. It works V.V. too.

Not helping much am I!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I bet you wished you'd never mentoned scrapping it on this forum :lol: :lol:

Your car, your choice, just don't expect everyone to pat you on the back. These cars are getting rare, regardless of condition. Personally if i could get hold of a mechanically sorted/sound BX which only had rough bodywork i'd be well pleased.

If you do decide to strip the car, i'd be interested in the engine to hopefully get my tzd back on the road. I'm hoping just to do the bare minimum on the engine side of things, run it for a bit, check for further damage & then make a decision on whether to replace the engine. PM me if you are happy to set aside the engine once you've decided, unless any other interested parties have contacted you before me.

Cheers
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

It's obvious where the weakest link is - The BORER. Take it stock car racing or something! :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

I'd keep at least engine from TD, because I don't see anything special in 1.6 petrol (except engine bay room), TD is much better choice IMO. Have you thought about swapping them?
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

or you could swap your TZD estate for my ZX td estate and scrap that, then no one gets upset. :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

akarso wrote:I'd keep at least engine from TD, because I don't see anything special in 1.6 petrol (except engine bay room), TD is much better choice IMO. Have you thought about swapping them?
That's a very good idea - the drawback being that, in the UK, insurance companies look at anything not in their script (GT ashtrays, Rally spec wiper blades, Santa Pod mudflaps) and think "Hmmm, +300% loading on that one then!"

Even if you take a GTi, and stuff a 1.4 suitcase motor in it, it counts as 'modified'. In insurance company chimp-speak that equates to michelin premiums. (Well inflated, geddit? :wink: )

I have to say, in an ideal world, that would be the perfect answer - but would still involve breaking the TZD - plus shelling out beaucoups l'dosh. :cry:
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

Linegeist wrote:Even if you take a GTi, and stuff a 1.4 suitcase motor in it, it counts as 'modified'.
I've got 1.6 with 16v stuffed in, and nobody cares, but that's another story, and I guess it doesn't work that way in UK :(
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Well Bob admitting the oil burner is the better engine than the gas igniter thingy least proves your not spaced out and your deciscion to scrap must therefore be a logical prudent one like you have said! :D
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Defender110 wrote:Well Bob admitting the oil burner is the better engine than the gas igniter thingy least proves your not spaced out and your deciscion to scrap must therefore be a logical prudent one like you have said! :D
Any chance you could tell my wife that ............. :( :( :(

:lol: