1989 BX DTR Turbo 59000 miles - offers

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
CitroenCrazy

1989 BX DTR Turbo 59000 miles - offers

Post by CitroenCrazy »

In the interests of a simpler life, I'm thinning out my fleet, which currently numbers 9 Citroens.

On offer is a 1989 turbo diesel saloon, in white.

I've had it since May 2007, so coming up to three years.
Almost immediately after buying it, I spent over £800 to get it up to scratch, including: new cambelt & tensioner, new octopus, front disks & pads, ball joint, track rod end and driveshaft gaiter.
It's also had new drop links & a pair of spheres.
I fitted a towbar, but it's only been used for a ball-mount bike rack.
It had a new exhaust (another £165) later in 2007. I'm pretty sure it's had a new battery too, but with 9 cars, you lose track....
Since then, just routine servicing. Oh yes, apart from the happy afternoon I spent a couple of weeks ago fitting a new speedo cable, so the needle is steady now.

I have all the old MOTs to substantiate the mileage, which is now just over 59,000.
It's had 3 owners before me, but I believe they were all members of the same family. Between them, they only covered 48,000 miles.

So - Good bits
All of the above.
On the road, MOT until October 20th, taxed until the end of October
Starts, runs and rises fine. No known problems.
Tyres are fine, Michelin on the front, Goodyear on the back.
Sony stereo with MP3-in fitted.
Interior is still fine, no holes or major wear, just a bit of UV fading.

The bad bits
Well, it's an old Citroen.....
Paint is very flat. I think it's lived outdoors all its life. Black sections along tops of doors etc have rubbed off. To be objective, it does look a bit shabby.
Electric sunroof tilts ok, but only slides back about half way & then jams, so there's definately rust in the runners. On the bright side, it doesn't seem to leak.

It's had a wee patch welded into both front inner wheelarches, but no other non-factory welding (so far) BUT it will most likely need a repair to the driver's door hinge area for the next MOT. The offside rear door aperture where it meets the rear wheelarch looks a bit crusty too.

Cracked windscreen (from a stone, not rust) on the passenger side. Fortunately not an MOT issue as it's outside the swept area.

Minor crease on nearside rear door, which wifey did within 3 weeks of me buying it !!!!!!! Set of 4 spare doors, in white, provided with the car, together with a few other bits and pieces.

Bad connection on rev counter, so sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't

So there you have it. Very solid indeed. Probably one of the lowest mileage diesels in the country. Could do with some smartening up of the body.

Why am I selling it ? It's been a reserve car for my wife who has a mk 1 MX 5, so it's been handy when she's needs 4 seats or, when the roads have been icy, front wheel drive. She's now decided she wants it to either look nicer or go away. Her reserve car is now MY Xantia estate ?!?!. Anyway with 2 x DS, 4 x GS and an H Van to work on, I prefer the latter option.

Email me: andrew.cox-at-dssp.com for more details or to make me an offer I can't refuse. I'm in the east mids BTW, between Coventry & Leicester.

Cheers

Andrew
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Your forgot the most important part of the advert there Andrew.

How much is it, please dont say OFFERS as its totally pointless, did you have a price in mind, DTR Turbos are rare now, expecially with that mileage.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
CitroenCrazy

Offers ?

Post by CitroenCrazy »

Sorry, I didn't mean to be obtuse.

On the basis that it's "worth" as much as someone wants it, it depends entirely on who might be tempted. Most people I know would pay someone to take it away.

My take on it is that there are 7 months unexpired tax on the car, at £190 / year, so call that £100. The scrap man would probably give me £100 if I justed needed rid of it.

If someone offered me £300 cash, and the sun was shining, AND I thought it was going to a good home, I might be persuaded.
Offer me £350, it's yours, no question.

Where does that fit on the scale of expectations ?
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Sounds like a bargain to me :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

£350 is a very reasonable price.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Would it be possible to see some photos please?

Thanks
Steve
CitroenCrazy

Post by CitroenCrazy »

Steve

Probably the best thing is to email me off-list. See my first post.

Andrew
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Just sent the email.

Cheers
Steve
ruffgeezer
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ruffgeezer »

Picked it up this afternoon, thanks Andrew!
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Good for you chum. I bet it runs like a dream with so few miles...

Steve
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

ruffgeezer wrote:Picked it up this afternoon, thanks Andrew!
Nice one. Pictures?
Vauxhall apologist.
ruffgeezer
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ruffgeezer »

I'll get some pics up at the weekend, what I need is someone breaking a bx with a decent A pillar to chop me out the panel around the upper hinge, I can get a repair made up from that.

Unfortunately the car started leaking diesel when I picked it up, it looked to be from the return pipe at the time so I wasn't too worried, but it turns out the seal on the injector pump has perished, so I'll have to send that away whilst the door is being repaired...

I've sourced a replacement tailgate to sort the rear window issue meaning also the car will be gaining spoiler too, is there a project thread section here? :)
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Ruffgeezer wrote
but it turns out the seal on the injector pump has perished, so I'll have to send that away whilst the door is being repaired...
Do you know which seal it is? Is it the one for the input shaft? This is the one that generally leaks and can be replaced easily without dismantling. Assuming it's a Bosch this seal is available from Bosch for €7 and the old one can be 'punched' and hooked out and the new one seated using a large socket.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
ruffgeezer
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ruffgeezer »

its not a bosch its a roto-diesel. I guess that means pump off?