Wanted BX14!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Searjeant

Wanted BX14!

Post by Searjeant »

Hi everyone,
Sorry I havent posted in so long!

I am still BXless unfortunately but I have been thinking about it and id still love one, they seem ideal for me in every way but for insurance reasons I can only really consider a 1.4 MAX, I heard that there was such thing as a 1.1 BX but I dont think thats correct, so a BX14 is what Im looking for, any spec, Hatch or Estate, anything. I just dont want an absolute minter.
What Id really like is a tatty but loved and solid car, which I wont feel bad about using as a daily throughout the year but as long as its not completely rotten because unfortunately i dont have much welding skill (or facilities yet) so would probably have to get someone else to do welding.

I really am clueless as to the value of BX14s. But I am on a shoestring budget since insurance will be quite a lot for me. the lowest insurance quote I have had so far (for a 2CV (!!) kept garaged overnight, tpo etc.) was £1.4k and a BX is likely to be £2k unless i can get on a classic policy so Id love to get a car for £100 maybe? or under if its possible. but I really have no idea if thats completely unrealistic? so apologies in advance and please let me know if that seems absurd.
Dont mind if it has no tax or test,

cheers,
Dan
scarecrow

Re: Wanted BX14!

Post by scarecrow »

Searjeant wrote: the lowest insurance quote I have had so far (for a 2CV (!!) kept garaged overnight, tpo etc.) was £1.4k and a BX is likely to be £2k
Dan
Bloody hell! I think I'd not bother driving at those prices.

You'll be hard pressed to find a legal BX for £100 as this is below the scrap value. For around £400 you might find something - but you'd still need to spend a few hundred during the year on maintenance.

The insurance for a non-turbo diesel is about the same as for a 14 petrol.

You might find an AX more affordable - though they are nippy little buggars, and this might be reflected in insurance costs.

Steve[/quote]
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Are you / Do you A) Live in Beruit? B) Have 11 points on your license? C)17 and have already crashed 5 other cars?

That is an absurd price for insurance. Shop around more!

Also, consider a BX 17D. The improvement in fuel economy will offset a fair bit of that insurance cost. Also, ignore the fact that the tax costs more. You'll make the difference back in fuel economy within a few tankfulls.
this might be a signature
Searjeant

Post by Searjeant »

yeah i realise thats probably an overly optimistic price, but ill keep an eye out.
and the really scary thing is that I live in one of the lowest risk post codes in the country :!: and i put on the quote application that the car will be kept garaged etc. so it is absurd, but im going to try talking directly to some companies and see if theyll insure a 17 year old on a classic policy?

I did look at larger diesels but I really think there is NO hope of anything above a 1.4 despite being diesel, even if when im older insurance might be the same, at my age every single cubic centimetre of capacity puts the insurance cost up.
and Im not really a fan of AXs im afraid, they dont interest me much and i dont think theyre particularly good lookin, whereas i find the BX fulfills both those criteria, plus from what I hear a BX will be a lot safer as well.

cheers guys,
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Searjeant wrote:at my age every single cubic centimetre of capacity puts the insurance cost up.
Not so. What puts up your insurance is having a high-risk car. What you need to do is look at something obscure. The first car I ever owned had a 3.5L V8 engine and was cheaper to insure than a Metro. Reason? Every 17yr old with a metro at the time wrapped it around a lamp-post, and hence even though they were only a 1.0, were expensive to insure.

You need to look harder for insurance tbh. In just 3 minutes I've just found insurance for a 17 yr old on a 2.2 litre CX for £1300, and on a BX diesel for under £900. I'd expect to get that cheaper with some effort too.
this might be a signature
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes David is right, my son insured a Mercedes 220 diesel Auto cheaper than he could insure a Saxo diesel, reason being boy racers love the Saxo. (the AX is probably still in the boy racer category aswell)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Searjeant

Post by Searjeant »

oh wow, i stand corrected! I will look into some non turbo diesels then! thanks.
Searjeant

Post by Searjeant »

Ok I had a quick look on go compare for a manual 1.9 diesel estate BX and the cheapest quote came out at £3,021 with Endsleigh. Eek.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

bl__dy h_ll!

That's ridiculous
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Blinking heck thats alot, I would try directline and tescos too.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Searjeant

Post by Searjeant »

yeah i know! its just being a male 17 year old i think. irritatingly girls my age easily get insured up to a 1.6 for under a grand!!
i will try directline, my parents are both insured on them so i dont know but that might make a slightly lower quote possible? im not sure if they offer discounts for that kinda thing, but what I have heard is that direct line will usually refuse to insure anyone under 21 or something.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I'd take your money and bum around India for a while until your risk goes down.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

When i was 18 i insured a CX Gti Turbo for 700 quid fully comp.

I now pay 140 quid a year for my own BX14

Insurance should NOT be that expensive for you really. Is there anything we dont know about? (i.e. criminal or motoring convictions? etc)
that is effecting your quote?

My step-son paid a LOT less than that 12 months ago to insure a peugeot 106 1.1 litre that was not garaged and was used only by him as a daily.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Searjeant

Post by Searjeant »

i know it seems ridiculous, I reckon that these price comparison sites have really heavily inflated quotes but nope, no motoring convictions, or convictions of any sorts or ANYTHING which should make the quote expensive? if you looked at my responses on the form it looks like ive almost deliberately picked all the low risk options (except for amounts of time having held license anyway)
I will try some companies direct tonight,

on a side note, does anyone know if I would be able to carry out a years NCB from riding my Mobylette on to a car? that could help considerably.
cheers,