Rear suspension strut wanted (hatchback) v. 2

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
KRomer

Rear suspension strut wanted (hatchback) v. 2

Post by KRomer »

yes, another corroded (I suppose) near side rear suspension strut/cylinder. As it was the plan to drive it through europe, for the second time this year, I was about to do a general check up, and as I put it in high I got a huge leak at the strut :evil:. It's not any of the pipes and not the seal at the sphere either.

Does anyone have one knocking about or know where I can get a new one? (at a reasonable price)

Kris
'91 bx tzd turbo
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If the leak disappears when you lower the suspension, it's probably not the wall corroding through but the rod snapping. I'd not come across it before until I had it happen to me (on a fairly new and well protected cylinder), but heard it happen to others recently. What was happening was that the return pipe was blowing off and spewing LHM everywhere, but only when on high...

The rod from the piston to the rear arm had snapped just after the ball joint and was contacting the arm in a different position. Hence when the suspension was on maximum, the piston had travelled past the first rubber seal and the return pipe was seeing full hydraulic pressure.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Mat im supprised the rod didnt dislodge and the piston pop right out,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

So am I! But it locked itself in the arm and carved out a recess for the end of it.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
KRomer

Post by KRomer »

thanks for your reply Mat. The leak seems to be there until the car is on it's belly. I checked the rod and it feels intact, so I still think it is the cylinder.

Kris
'91 bx tzd turbo
KRomer

Post by KRomer »

I removed the strut today to be sure of the problem. It was the cylinder that was corroded.

Here is the hole

And the other side that is not corroded

So if anyone has a spare I can buy it would be much appreciated. Then I could get on with my holiday :wink:
'91 bx tzd turbo