BX 19 TXD - Looks like being re-listed on EBay come the 12th

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

KINELL !!

IT'S NOW BEEN WRITTEN OFF TWICE? :shock:

You failed to mention this in the listing and I'm jumping to an idiotic conclusion?

''........................speachless...........................'' :?
Last edited by Defender110 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Suspicion comes naturally when looking to buy a used car, especially when facts come to light at a later stage. Fair enough, you've mentioned it now on the eBay advert about the VIC check but I for one would be a tad miffed had I come to view it and found out then.
If everything is out in the open now then you should be able to get a price for your car that reflects its condition/history.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k

Re: BX 19 TXD - Looks like being re-listed on EBay come the

Post by Defender110 »

GaianB wrote: :cry: My buyer seems to have dropped out of buying my car.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I'm not sure I would like to diagnose a broken piston ring without taking the head off :?

Also I think the starting price reflects the condition and possible faults of the car.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Hi - what was the damage to the car during the first right-off?

I understand where you're coming from, but my own view is that once I've taken the money for an insurance write-off on an old banger then that's it - the car is finished so far as resale is concerned.

Not disclosing the write-offs does smack of desperation a bit... and it's a bit much to underplay a major engine fault. Most people wouldn't regard a probable broken piston ring as anything other than major, and if you're suggesting that your garage told you not to worry about it then I'd be worried about using them again!

You might have better luck listing the car as for spares or repairs, but I can see the scrap man looming!

Good luck anyway.

EDIT: the bx in my avatar is my old written-off Meteor, on it's 2nd trip around France at the time and some 5 years after it was written-off (sadly scrapped now).
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Vendor has mailed me back and it hasnt been stolen /recovered but yes it has been written off twice through economic reasons.
The engine problem does worry me but at the start price which to be fair is what he would get by weighing it in,I,d run it till either Mot runs out or engine goes pop?Car itself doesnt look in bad nick.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I think you're about right there, Richard.

I do sympathise with the lady selling the car in some respects - and it would get you mobile... I just think she would have been more sensible to disclose the history from the start so that, as Mat says, people could make their own minds up before travelling to view the car.
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

As another poster has pointed out the start price is less than scrap value, and even less when the 3/4 tank of diesel is considered.

I had some time ago a very similar experience with a ticking noise on a BX n/a diesel hatchback, and after much head scratching it turned out to be of all things the harmonic balancer pulley at fault, a s/h replacement eliminated the noise completely.

I seriously doubt a broken ring, and have never seen an occurance of it on an XUD engine, BUT if it were things to look for would be signs of heavy breathing, poor starting from cold, and rough running on tickover (which could be narrowed to a particular cylinder by momentarily cracking the injector pipes for each injector in turn), and if you were really keen a dry then wet compression test.
GaianB

What a load of moaners! javascript:emoticon(':evil:')

Post by GaianB »

Do you want me to mention every repair the car has ever had? Have your cars never had any dents?

The last write off was becase the bumper was written off and it scratched the car. Did this seriously affect its driveability, the chassis, the longevity of the car - NOT AT ALL.

Why is is good enough for some of you to moan on this web-site without ANY knowledge and bad-mouth me? I have been far more honest than most other people according to what i read, and am being lambasted for not being honest enough! Talk about hypoctirical.

It was the last lot of watchers that brought the need for a VIC to my attention - I was informed by both insurance companies that my car was fine to keep driving and told they would NOT report it as "written off". As a token of good faith, having been told, i then paid the money and had the VIC. What more do you want? It is a great little car - I was just bored with it being unsuitable for kids and a dog!
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Actually, in all fairness, I had a bid on the car the first time round, i figured it was worth a punt at the right price but every time i looked back at the auction you'd edited the description and it seemed to be getting progessively worse. I breathed a sigh of relief when i got outbid!

You have to admit that from an outsiders point of view a lot of what you said didn't add up and that you blatantly DID NOT disclose it had been written off at all, let alone Twice!

The settlement & repurchase document you recieved from your Insurer will clearly state that it is an offence to sell the vehicle without stating that it is either a Catergory C, D or F Total Loss write-off. (A & B cannot be re-sold).

On top of that, at the time of the original auction, it hadn't even had it's VIC! I suspect you chose to replace it as the cost of insuring a double write-off is likely to be in the region of 150% MORE than the standard cost and 3 of the top 4 underwriters will refuse cover. This additional cost will now be borne by the buyer for the rest of the cars life.

Anyone viewing the car and the V5 will clearly see "Previously Declared a Total Loss" on the logbook together with the "CAT" in the notes section on the front where it normally says "Declared new at first registration".

The VIC is not requested by insurers, but by the DVLA. They will not return your V5 until it's done. If your insurer made an offer to you (which you've already said they did) then the write off will be recorded (as a requirement of law) with DVLA and hence the need for the VIC. If the vehicle was never written off and then recorded with DVLA you would never have got the appointment for the VIC.

(Source: ME, 18 months working at a brokers).
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

BX's are not ten a penny anymore and therefore you have to be willing to travel further afield to find the right one. I personaly bought both mine from several hundred miles away which incurred substancial travelling costs. If I had done the same to buy this one only to find out it was adouble write off I would have gone ape! How much time and money did the buyer first time round have to waste only to find out he had been CONNED?
As Jay said many write offs are uninsurable, Tyring to sell a write off without letting on is nothing short of fraud!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
GaianB

Blah blah blah

Post by GaianB »

As you may have seen , the car has had a road tax renewal and insurance without anyone mentioning to me that it needed a VIC.

So, the system must fail sometimes.

Being written off for a car of this age and low Glasses guide value is a convenience, not a statement of problems with a car, just of the cost of repair related to their assessment of its value.

I paid something like 5 times the "guide price" for the car when I purchased it. The garage would not discount 1 penny as they KNEW it would sell at that price. If I knew I would be caused this much trouble, I would have told NONE of its history - which is ALL available, including bills going back at least 10 years. I must be incredibly dishonest - sigh. How many of you will find negative things to say this time. If, givien more information makes it worth less, then, i shall remain speechless from now on. Call me if you have something to say

[color=red] *Phone number removed, not to silence anyone, but for the posters own protection form weirdo's. This is a public forum open for ANYONE to see, please use the PM facility and for your own protection, please do not post your personal phone numbers on a public website. * [/color]
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I have to admit I had no idea that I needed a VIC after mine was written off - but maybe it's a regulation that's come in more recently? I think mine was hit in 2003 (a few months after I bought it in immaculate condition with low miles). It certainly didn't affect my insurance premium (accident wasn't my fault) and I always disclosed it when renewing the insurance...

I bet there's not one person on this forum who's had only good experiences when buying used cars, so I guess it's not surprising that we behave like a pack of wolves when we think we have a dodgy seller cornered! Having said that, your explanation does sound plausible (to me at least) so, assuming that everything is now out in the open, I think prospective buyers can make an objective decision about buying your car.

I won't be bidding though, as any CAT registered cars are a big no no to me.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Loose the Halo Gaian this has all come about because you tried to hide it's past not disclose it!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
sarahjaneking
BXpert
My Cars: 1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Post by sarahjaneking »

I don't think any harm was intended, Gaianb probably just thought that is was unnecessary as it was mostly cosmetic damage

I've always listed every minor little thing when selling cars and find that honesty pays off in the end as people feel more secure when you've admitted it's not perfect and are more willing to pop round for a look.

I was watching this one but am now sorted elsewhere, just one thing puzzled me "NOT Turbo" really?????
1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch (although I don't know where it is - seriously!!!)
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch (we've been apart for 3 years but now reunited)