Interesting ebay item.......

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Kevin B
BXpert

Interesting ebay item.......

Post by Kevin B »

Just noticed this rather interesting curiosity on ebay (250690463023) its on a ten day listing. So they are obvoiusly aiming for maximum exposure.

Comments please.

The buyer is stating this will fit straight on a BX 1.4 Leader.

If you had a Mk1 1400cc BX leader, it sounds like it might be a cheap and easy way to hot it up slightly, but I have my doubts that these carbs would give any better MPG than the standard twinchoke Solex in good condition, as the seller is stating in the listing.

It looks like all the bits are there, so presumably it would be an easy item to fit, but more imortantly would it work?
Last edited by Kevin B on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

It will work, i think it will need the manifold from the 205 as well though.

I fitted a AX GT carb and manifold to my old BX 14 (later TU engine) and it made it much more responsive and lively, mp didnt change much either.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

According to the listing the water heated inlet manifold is there, but the photograph does not give that much detail (as he has obvoiusly tried to get all of it on one photo to reduce listing fees). :wink:
It would be interesting to see how the engine performance figures for the engine this originally came from (205 XT) compare to a BX1.4 Leader with the progressive twin choke Solex carb.
If as you say the MPG figures would not be affected greatly by this type of modification, I am surprised this was not a more popular modification for a BX14 Leader, when it was still about in significant numbers.

I agree with the seller though, there must be over £50 of jets in these carbs if you needed them just for parts, a positive bargain :lol:
Last edited by Kevin B on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Seems like a lot of money for an unknown.

It's something I've been thinking about doing for a while, but really I'd want to uprate the cam to an ax gt one too...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I know the 205 GT used the XY8 engine and had (IIRC!) 80 bhp. I would think that the XT is simply a 3 door version of the GT given Peugeot's naming style. The later TU3S engine in the 205 XS and AX GT was a much sweeter lump IMO and has an extra 5 bhp although only 1 twin choke carb. So if you have the TU engine in your BX then the TU3S is the one to go for to get extra performance.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

According to what information I can find on the internet the Peugeot 205 XT was fitted with the XY8 engine, and produced 80bhp, which when compared to information on this site:

BX14 83-88 1360cc XB Series 72BHP (NB Gearbox mounted in sump)
BX14 88-92 1360cc TU3A (K1G)72BHP Carb. Alloy block. Conventional gearbox
BX14i 92-93 1360cc TU3M 74BHP Inj, Iron Block.

So assuming the XY8 series engine fitted to the Peugeot 205 is identical in every other respect to the BX 14 equivilant, this seems like a very cheap way to gain an extra 8 BHP for minimal outlay. For what is almost a bolt on modification, and would be a lot less work than installing and accurately timing up a different profile camshaft.

Now on the other hand if this twin carb setup were to be combined with an AX GT camshaft (assuming your not refering to the later TU3 engine) that would certainly make for an interesting small engine capacity BX Q car. :wink:
Last edited by Kevin B on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

As I understood it the AX GT cam is just harder than the non-gt... might be wrong but I remember looking at them on a manufacturers website.

Would there be a lot of mods needed to fit a 14i lump from an ax? I'm thinking wiring, hp pump mounting, exhaust/cat...
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

According to the listing the water heated inlet manifold
Absolutely right Kevin - water heated - not water cooled as in the listing. Webers work well with a heated manifold if you are after extra mpg and you're prepared to adjust for max CO for the year of the car (specified for the MOT). That doesn't affect liveliness or performance too much either. Heating the airflow improves vapourisation and should result in less unburnt fuel.
I agree with the seller though, there must be over £50 of jets in these carbs
I think that's unlikely - there's usually only 2 in their twin choke carbs - idle and main - unlike my nasty twin choke Pierburg which has 7 :shock: why scratch...

If I had a petrol BX I'd be thinking about these carbs - but at £50 and the hassle of tweaking / balancing and the fact that they will certainly need stripdown + recon kits then thinking about it would be as far as I'd get :-)

1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

That's about right! Gower and Lea sell a brand new standard Solex for a couple of hundred quid and I think that'd be a better option. 8hp isn't that much really, is it?
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

If I was going to mod a petrol BX I'd probably go for a twin choke Weber with heated and extended manifold and tweak for max CO - I get the impression that decent acceleration is more dependent on the carb's ability to satisfactorily mix the extra fuel provided by the accelerator pump rather than anything to do with stoichiometric metering.

On the pics of this twin carb I can't see any coolant feed to the auto choke sensor - looks as though it depends on local air temp or am I wrong / blind there ? If that's the case I think I'd want to change that to a coolant fed auto choke.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

See, all the above is good sound advice, but if i wanted more performance from my TU 1.4 BX i would search out a saxo or 306 or zx or something 1.6 TU engine and just lob that in. Mucho easier.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"