Battered 19TGD estate for sale.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
greenk/2

Battered 19TGD estate for sale.

Post by greenk/2 »

1992. 130200 miles. Few battle scars but generally good. Two owners - my company and me. Located in Wallington, Surrey.
Front ended yesterday courtesy of an errant driver. Substantial damage. Suspect engine/gearbox moved but starts and moves. No reverse gear. Cannot get bonnet up to investigate. Had to be lifted home.
Good repair project or spares? Just replaced the battery. Tyres reasonable. Fitted with a towing hitch.
Open to offers once insurance claim sorted.

Keith
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Keith, pm me and I'll give you my e-mail address. if you send some pictures to that I'll host them for you and post up on here.

Was the other driver insured and have they paid out already? If not you might need to keep your car until such time as they have as the insurers might want to see it.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

As has been said elsewhere, in a 0% blame case, you do theoretically have the right to demand that the car is returned to its pre-accident state. Although I'm not sure you'd necessarily push for that in this case. I'm sure if you found a similar one (anyone want to sell for £1,200? lol) you could argue replacement was the only real alternative for you.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
greenk/2

Battered 19TGD estate for sale

Post by greenk/2 »

Hi Philip

Agreed. Economics rule. I was in insurance for many years so know my way around.

Keith[/b]
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Philip Chidlow wrote:in a 0% blame case, you do theoretically have the right to demand that the car is returned to its pre-accident state.
Does anyone know of this actually happening to a vehicle that's been written off on financial grounds? I can't help thinking the insurance companies would be reluctant to authorise work on what (to them) is just an old banger and to which repairing accident damage would involve at the very least new paintwork which means it's in some ways better than the pre accident condition.

I only know of a similar incident with a mate in a Cavalier who was rear ended by a taxi. They (the taxi firm, not the insurance) paid for about £2k worth of repairs which, although it was a few years ago now was above the value of the car. His suspicion was that they didn't want the insurance involved for some dubious reason, and as he wanted a repair not replacement, that's what they had to do.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Yes, it happened to me. Last January. It was ostensibly £550 worth of damage to a 18 year old 220k mile BX banger. The insurance company really wanted to write it off. I mean really, but I stood my ground and it got totally fixed up.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yes, I remember it now! :oops:

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Some people buy them back from the insurance, some are offered at salvage auctions and some are crushed.
Usually (but not always) if the cost of repairs exceeds a third of the value of the vehicle it gets written off.
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

mat_fenwick wrote:I only know of a similar incident with a mate in a Cavalier who was rear ended by a taxi. They (the taxi firm, not the insurance) paid for about £2k worth of repairs which, although it was a few years ago now was above the value of the car. His suspicion was that they didn't want the insurance involved for some dubious reason, and as he wanted a repair not replacement, that's what they had to do.
I got hit by a scumbag twat in a BMW M5 Taxi, I kid you not. Shame his number plates related to a Saab in the West Midlands, and he didn;t have a licence.
By chance I happened to know one of the directors of the company, and told him quite strongly I'd take him to court or kill him. Choice was his.
He paid up a lot of cash for what didn't cost me a lot to fix.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

:-k Hmmm, maybe I should go around braking heavily in front of taxis? It would seem they often have something to hide...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I only know of a similar incident with a mate in a Cavalier who was rear ended by a taxi. They (the taxi firm, not the insurance) paid for about £2k worth of repairs which, although it was a few years ago now was above the value of the car. His suspicion was that they didn't want the insurance involved for some dubious reason, and as he wanted a repair not replacement, that's what they had to do.
I once was sitting in the reception of the planning department of the local council copying down some notes from the plans of a proposed development that would have affected me - I was sat right next to a door behind which was the taxi licencing office and I could overhear part of the conversation...

"... and it's very very difficult for me to renew your licence since you had nine accidents last year..."

And possibly some others he paid cash for so he didn't have to report :shock:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
greenk/2

Battered19TGDestate for sale

Post by greenk/2 »

Engineer just been. Confirmed T/L. No surprise there. Suspects front sub frame moved over. The old girl can go now. Will be sorry to see that.
Anyone want to take her for £75?

Keith
greenk/2

Battered 1992 TGD estate for sale

Post by greenk/2 »

Offers? Don't want to see her crushed.

Keith
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

A spares car makes so much sense, if you were a reasonable (sub 50 mile) distance away from me I'd be tempted. Another member may have to scrap an undamaged turbo diesel estate with leather and air conditioning (and possible HG problems) so it is difficult at the moment. But £75 is probably less than the scrap value, so surely someone will come forwards?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
greenk/2

Battered 19TGD estate for sale

Post by greenk/2 »

Thanks for the optimism Mat. Let's hope so! To be honest, I would give her away if someone would use her.

Keith