bx on piston heads

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

The story goes that the E-type jag could only hit 150mph because it had been blue-printed specially for the press.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

27 years ago i had a mk3 triumph spitfire.it ran the main bearing and crank on the m5.was beyond redemption. i had bought a gearbox from a chap who worked for triumph research and development before it shut.i phoned him looking for an engine and he said he had just the thing i was looking for.under a tarpaulin in his workshop was a triumph 1300cc engine removed from his recently accident damaged herald.this engine had been used for testing an american spec engine for the spitfire.it had wet liners fitted i think,the whole point of this long tale is that it had been balanced and blueprinted by the factory in order to ensure they had a good engine and base point to test different radiators amounts of coolant ,size of grill etc.he whipped the sump off it changed the main bearings in less than an hour and into the trailer it went.we got it into the car next day and it fired instantly.
it was very smooth.acceleration was better,it would go through the red line comfortably and drove the car way past the 100mph mark on the speedo-although old triumph speedo needles did bounce and wobble a bit.
it was quicker than xr3is and quick renault 5s.i guess the balancing is the important factor.it remains to this day the only hand built/balanced engine i ever owned and i still smile remembering how good it was. it too did more mpg than the old engine.tickover was smooth as smooth.
it would spin in an instant if you lifted a wheel on a roundabout with the transverse leaf spring but thats a whole different issue............
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Ah yes, Spitfires... had a few of those back in the day, and all mine ended up running big ends too... Happy days. Oh, actually they weren't, really... Rubbish engines, rubbish handling, rubbish build quality... I drove one all winter 100 miles a day across the fens when I had a broken arm and couldn't ride a bike. Heater never worked and hood was frozen in the 'down' position. I stuck a hot water bottle up my jacket every day and wore most of my bike kit...
By comparison, the MX-5's bloody luxury!

As for the E type, the original press one was certainly specially prepared, and it also had non-standard aluminium body panels.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I know 26 years ago is a long time but I had a lightened, balanced and blueprinted engine built for me by an engineering firm for a mk2 1600E cortina . ( I had put a conrod through the side of the old lump )

It was a 711m block bored out to 1760 cc fitted with a vulcan stage 3 head ,

balanced and lightened crank , flywheel etc , uprated oil pump, duplex timing chain , alloy rocker shaft posts

total cost £830 including all New parts ( except the block and flywheel) and labour .
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

that was a good sum of money back then.i think i paid a hundred for mine and that hurt.you must have been able to buy two 1600es for that much then?
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
ste s

16v

Post by ste s »

hi all the 16 v is my car .i have just spoken to mark who i bought the car off and he has said the reciept is fake ,why anyone would do that is beyond me.i paid £1295 for the car but have put a new bonnet on it and had some body work done which cost me £400 so now is pretty good. :)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Re: 16v

Post by docchevron »

ste s wrote:why anyone would do that is beyond me.
I'd guess because it makes it seem more saleable?

Aside from the eild BHP claims though, it does still look a tidy motor.
Bx prices do seem to be on the up and up, so you may well get a fair price for it regardless.
I certainly like the look of the car, but I need another BX like a hole on the head!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: 16v

Post by Defender110 »

ste s wrote:hi all the 16 v is my car .i have just spoken to mark who i bought the car off and he has said the reciept is fake ,why anyone would do that is beyond me.i paid £1295 for the car but have put a new bonnet on it and had some body work done which cost me £400 so now is pretty good. :)
Welcome Ste, Well done for clarifying that, good luck with the sale or why not keep it and join us merry bunch of nutters?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
ste s

Post by ste s »

to be honest,i dont really want to sell it,i love these cars,but it rarely gets used but i know if i do sell it i will regret it.
johnbird
BXpert

Post by johnbird »

maybe you should strike out the fake rebuild/receipt/bhp claim and just sell the car on its merits?
its a terrific looking car,a lovely colour.its not stratospherically expensive and bxs appear to be going up rather than down in price currently.
what bhp would the motor make if it was the standard bx gti? probably still quite brisk compared to todays overweight/sized body shells strangulated with emmission control gizmos.
audi a8 quattro
saab9-5 aero
saab99 turbo
smart roadster
citroen bx tzd
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

johnbird wrote: what bhp would the motor make if it was the standard bx gti?
By the book 160bhp, realistically 150bhp is what most of the stock motors put out these days (including mine). Only 10 horses lost in 20 years is a bloody good result though, that assuming they ever had them in the first place!

That puts to at around the 140bhp/tonne which is comparable to a Clio 172 (although the Clio is quicker through the bends :wink: ).

The BX16V really can hold it's own alongside the modern hot hatches, it always has!
I have zero patience for your tedium.
ste s

Post by ste s »

if you check pistonheads you will see i have already amended the ad,i only got intouch with the previous owner last night.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Well done again.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I think this car is good as it is. Why would anyone tinker with the 16v engine anyway? It does the job pretty well in my opinion - especially compared with the n/a diesels that I'm used to!

Welcome along Ste. If you hang around here long enough your enthusiasm will be re-kindled and you won't want to part with it!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read