Return piping

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
richardd1652
1K Away

Return piping

Post by richardd1652 »

The "Red Shed" seems to have most if not all the rubber return pipes that run to the tank perished probably due to all the old engine oil or just old age. Im not sure where they connect and hope i dont need an Octopusectomy but has anybody got some?
Richard.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

It sounds as though they're cactus and letting down what is actually a concours contender! Small octopus, large octupus and doseur return = combined cost from Citroen €130 only guv. You might not need all of them though. Try to identify the split ones.
You can try to repair them but I found that when they're past a certain uselfulness they'll split again and again and maybe when you're out on the moors all alone and the yeti is at large.. or is the werewolf? :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mountainmanUK
Confirmed BX'er

Post by mountainmanUK »

maybe when you're out on the moors all alone and the yeti is at large.. or is the werewolf?
"Stay on the path!"....and don't go into the 'Slaughtered Lamb" :lol:
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

It's the Octopus that worries me the most, because when new ones can no longer be purchased, BX's will slowly die off !!

How often do they perish, my BX is a '93 and the return piping looks OK, but for how long ....I've replaced supply piping on the car, that will always be possible ...I have had to replace the short 4mm (inside diameter) return pipe from the safety valve ...twice on this car !!!
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Yetti,s and werewolves dont bother me, Ive dated girls from Keighley and there worse if not quite so hairy :roll:
Might give Malcolm Lockwood a ring and see if he,s got any in stock but the Red Shed has to go to Wales on monday but its really pissing out LHM, you get that sweet smell of it driving with the window down.
Richard.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

richardd1652 wrote:Ive dated girls from Keighley and there worse if not quite so hairy :roll:
Hopefully you found the Worth Valley OK? ..that_ :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

BX Meteor wrote:It's the Octopus that worries me the most, because when new ones can no longer be purchased, BX's will slowly die off !!
doesn't worry me, it's only a nest of pipes, easy enough to replace with plastic pipe and fittings..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The Octopusses are still in production from our Polish friends. The last one I bought was date stamped manufactured in Jan 2011.
There was a discussion on Aussie Frogs about what to replace the Octopus with : what sort of piping and junctions etc. Someone - in the belief that the part wasn't available - unsuccessfully fabricated their own which was the equivalent of a green watering can. So it's still better to buy the real thing while it's available - even if the moulding looks a bit 'frilly' as Mat F put it!

What sort of piping would actually be suitable for fabricating a DIY Octopus then? I know where to get mineral oil tolerant seals but piping I haven't investigated.

Those Yorkshire gals sounds reet tasty! =P~
Todd

Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

When my Octopus went on the TZD, 2 years ago (and I wasn't going to try and get my delicate paws into THAT cramped rat's nest) I was told by the main dealer that they were probably NLA. :roll:

I seriously looked at making one out of ordinary household copper pipe. The various diameters are available, it can be drilled bent and soldered/brazed at nauseam. Once made it would, I suspect, outlast rubber. I got to the final drawing stage (before the dealer 'found' one) but, from what I learned, I would opine that it's perfectly possible to make one in this way. :?
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Hi Bob ..... copper sounds an interesting proposition, but would it withstand vibration ? ... makes me wonder why Citroen used rubber (for obvious reasons they had to use solid pipes for the supply piping)

Hi Todd ... who are the Polish manufacturers ?

cheers, Brian.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

It's a Citroen part, just happens to be made in Poland like the rubber bearings I recently bought for my Merc bus too. Viva Europa! ( cheaper labour costs?)

I think the advantages of rubber are its flexibility not only to withstand vibration but also re routing and installation. The copper octopus ( copperpus?) would have to be built in situ and without removing the engine that would be a right ole faff I reckon?
Todd

BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

I assume then that Citroen dealers still sell return piping for BX's, if so I never knew that ??
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Almost all the important ones are still available. The long small bore plastic returns are not. I bought both Octopusses and the large doseur return from Citroen here in Germany last January for a not-so-cheap €120 and that was after a 20% dealer discount because the parts bloke suggested the words 'robbery' and 'daylight'.
Todd

BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

A damned good investment IMO
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I keep a spare octopus in stock but i'm pretty sure if the need ever arose I could easily make a suitable replacement out of nylon tubing & speed couplings as used for fuel & high pressure air lines on HGV's. I notice these are also used as a replacement for copper pipes and soldered fittings by plumbers nowadays. The push in speed couplings are very easy to use and remarkably robust + available in every size imaginable metric and imperial.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.