Another sad day!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Whatever it is I want it to be a BX hatch. :roll:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I've decide to get a landrover for shopping as I'm fed up with all of the lovely dings that are appearing on my previously immaculate coachwork thanks to the bastards who either don't care about, or deliberately want to damage what is obviously a well looked after old car! If it's their kids then they ain't brung 'em up right to respect other people's property.

It's funny how it doesn't happen when I'm sitting in the car waiting for someone...

Have you thought about getting a 14 to buzz around town?
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Just read this post Phil and I am gutted too as there is now one less BX on the road.
The elephant in the room though is that, the minor problems aside, this was scrapped because it had blown a head gasket and needed some welding.

When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It was tired overall. And I don't have the expertise or facilities to do either welding or the head gasket. What's more the cost of doing all the work was way more than I could afford.

So. It had a good innings. And like us. It had to die of something.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Exactly - there's no point to anything. It's all a mindless struggle to fulfil the various fragile ideologies we hoist our petards upon. Tsk.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Stop it Scarecrow - you're starting to sound like me! ;)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Maybe we should organize ourselves as the Apathy Party - nah, can't be bothered.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Philip Chidlow wrote: Also I think, as the car had had synthetic oil all its life, switching to semi-synthetic (Castrol Magnatec) 6,000 mile ago seems it might have hastened the gasket failure?
nonsense.

You realise that an application of SteelSeal would have cured that indefinitley?
It works remarkably well in wet linered engines.
Ok, i wouldn't use it in my car, I'd have done the gasket and head, but I've used it plenty on mates cars that have no money etc etc...
ho hum.. it did very well for what it was!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Phil - have you considered Sarah's txd turbo? I think the price is very right if you ask her?

Just a thought.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

docchevron wrote:
nonsense.

You realise that an application of SteelSeal would have cured that indefinitley?
It works remarkably well in wet linered engines.
Ok, i wouldn't use it in my car, I'd have done the gasket and head, but I've used it plenty on mates cars that have no money etc etc...
ho hum.. it did very well for what it was!
It was more the straw that broke the camel's back, Chris. It needed new rad, fuel pump, cam belt/tensioner/water pump, front and rear discs, drop links and arb bushes, engine mount and so on, not to mention quite a lot of welding, painting and what's more the gearbox - despite recent changes in DII ATF was playing up when hot. I am in no doubt that all was fixable. Thing is, it wasn't long ago I offered it up on here; people weren't exactly beating a path to my door.

At the end of the day it was a petrol BX with 222,000 miles under its belt. It was tired and the problems would have kept coming. It was fulfilling the role as a daily hack. And it was that that probably hastened its demise. Sad? Yes, pretty darned sad, to see it go.

Good to know about SteelSeal for future reference though.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

scarecrow wrote:Phil - have you considered Sarah's txd turbo? I think the price is very right if you ask her?

Just a thought.
Yes. And no. We are taking time to consider what to do next. I am leaning towards a 1990-92 era TZD Turbo hatch (still want white) whereas Liz is thinking about something in the 1997-2000 age-range... possibly a TD Xantia. We shall see.