I'm looking to sell up ............. it's an age thing!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Brian wrote:By the way, I have just noticed your deliberate mistake, you have the estate upside down :wink:
It was the wife's idea Brian. She reckoned I had the brains of a Corporal, so I might as well wear the correct chevrons. :oops: [-(
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Ooooh! Prickly are we?
Sometimes... depends on who's upset me. Most of the grunting is involuntary and closely related to negotiating the expanding waistline that has sneakily appear to block the old route to my bootlaces. Also irritating is the loss of circulation when staying in any awkward position for any length of time, and a host of other niggling signs of growing up. scratch...
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Des Smith wrote:Sometimes... depends on who's upset me. Most of the grunting is involuntary and closely related to negotiating the expanding waistline that has sneakily appear to block the old route to my bootlaces. Also irritating is the loss of circulation when staying in any awkward position for any length of time, and a host of other niggling signs of growing up. scratch...
Strewth! I can identify with all of that ..........!! Nobody tells you what to expect when you get old - until you go to see the doc because something's stopped working (again) and he/she says, "What d'you expect at YOUR age?" :shock: :shock: :shock:

And why is that going, "Groaaahhhh!!!" when getting up from an armchair reduces the planet's gravitational pull on the body? Anybody answer me that, ay?

Cor! I'm starting to feel normal for the first time in about 2 years! :shock: :wink: Thanks Des! :lol:
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

"What d'you expect at YOUR age?"
Ah yes! I've had that! As in, "Doctor, my back's playing up again..." answer: "Hmm, well that's because you're wearing out."

Gee Thanks! That makes me feel a whole lot better! Must have missed the lecture on bedside manner. His best effort on this visit was a recommendation of a private osteopath. I am beginning to lose faith in the NHS to minister to the gradual erosion of my once rosy health, but I sincerely hope there will be enough of it (the NHS) left when something serious comes along.

In a similar vein, I have noticed the BX throttle pedal is at a funny position and makes my leg muscles sieze up on a long journey. I remember this vaguely from my first period of BX ownership in the 90s, but it was never quite as bad.

Is it me or has anyone else had this?
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Have you checked your pedal box for cracks, cockeyed throttle pedal is a symptom of this?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Defender110 wrote:Have you checked your pedal box for cracks, cockeyed throttle pedal is a symptom of this?
Oi Kevan! Keep it on topic will you? [-X :wink: :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

:rofl: letsbefriends
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Have you checked your pedal box for cracks, cockeyed throttle pedal is a symptom of this?
Umm, not unless all my BX's have had the same fault. I think the fault is somewhere in my right leg. It's more to do with having my foot at full extension rather than nailed to the floor. It's not something I've ever had with any other car, but I s'pose if I want to drive a BX I'll just have to put up with it. :wink:
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

mat_fenwick wrote:
Defender110 wrote:Have you checked your pedal box for cracks, cockeyed throttle pedal is a symptom of this?
Oi Kevan! Keep it on topic will you? [-X :wink: :lol:
:oops: Sorry!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Yeah, right! :P :P :P :P :P :wink:
BX Meteor
BXpert

Re: I'm looking to sell up ............. it's an age thing!

Post by BX Meteor »

Linegeist wrote: Ageing parents means we are looking at hands-on care pretty soon - which is almost certainly going to mean a move down to Reading.
Reading is a horrible place IMO, town centre is horrible, road layout is horrible, main way in/out is from the South (M4) which is horrible, routes to North are through nice countryside but loads of speed cameras.

Assuming that parents have equity, if possible I would bring them up to Anglesey (lovely place) and find a "granny flat" with a large garage big enough to put a pit in. All problems solved in one.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

That was actually the original idea Brian ................. and why we rebuilt this 150-year-old hovel to its current standard - we even have planning permission for the granny-extension. Then Pa got Alzheimer's (and I didn't even know the old guy spoke German) at which point Mother changed her mind, dug her heels in, and she's just bought a £360k bungalow on the outskirts of Reading itself.

Thicko here didn't move fast enough, and is now project managing the sale of the old house and the purchase/move into the new one :roll:

Stress? What stress?? ----^ ----^ I dug the bike out last night, leathered up and went for a high speed run up the coast road just to burn off some of the pent up frustration.... Of course, speed is relative. At my age, 'high speed' means about 35mph and second gear. <gnash><%$£&**^$%><snigger>
:lol:

PS: Totally agree about Reading. The place is Dumpsville and Chav City rolled into a single stinking, congested and unpleasant ball. It's the U-bend in the Thames Valley Bowl - and it looks like I'm going to be the bogroll. :roll: The answer? -------> ~wine~ :wink:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Linegeist wrote: It's the U-bend in the Thames Valley Bowl
:lol: :rofl: :lol:
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Yep everyone goes on about Slough being the dump around there, but IMO Reading is far worse. Chavsville indeed.

Wikipedia says :
"Reading was an important national centre in the medieval period, as the site of an important monastery with strong royal connections. Today it remains a commercial centre, with links to information technology and insurance. Reading also hosts two universities and a large student population. It is also home to one of England's biggest music festivals, Reading Festival."

So it's a mixture of religious inbreds with a connection to Charles 1st, nerds and employees of insurance companies, university dropouts and chavs, and unemployed wannabe musicians. The architecture reflects this.

Wkipedia also says:
"The settlement was founded at the confluence of the River Thames and River Kennet in the 8th century as Readingum. The name probably comes from the Readingas, an Anglo-Saxon tribe whose name means "Reada's People" in Old English or (less probably) the Celtic Rhydd-Inge, "Ford over the River". The name of the settlement was derived from an earlier folk, or tribal, name. Anglo-Saxon names ending in -ingas originally referred not to a place but to a people, in this case specifically the descendants or followers of a man named Reada, literally "The Red One." ..... so there it is, the locals are descendents of red-headed nutters who thought that a ford over a river was an ideal place to live.

"In late 870 an army of Danes invaded the then kingdom of Wessex and set up camp at Reading. On 4 January 871, the first Battle of Reading took place, when an army led by King Ethelred and his brother Alfred the Great attempted unsuccessfully to breach the Danes' defences. The battle is described in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, and this account provides the earliest known written record of the existence of the town of Reading. The Danes remained in Reading until late in 871, when they retreated to winter quarters in London" .... so the Danes are also culpable in the existence of this dump over the Thames, river is hardly visisible anywhere at all, you would not know the Thames was there !!!

Why not move to Newbury instead, it's quite nice there and routes North/South/East/West very convenient there.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

BX Meteor wrote:Why not move to Newbury instead, it's quite nice there and routes North/South/East/West very convenient there.
Because herself senior's gone and bought a pad in Shinfield rise ... (and just across the road from the biggest chav estate in the whole festering dump) :shock:

Can I come and live with you? I cook and clean very well ..... :wink: :lol: