It's got to go - 1987 19TRS Auto E141 WHR

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
rayfenwick
1K Away

It's got to go - 1987 19TRS Auto E141 WHR

Post by rayfenwick »

Sorry guys, but my hand is being forced..

Money is incredibly tight, and shows no sign of improving. SWMBO and I have had a long talk, and she's sensibly persuaded me that I need to downsize the fleet until things improve. If I don't get down to a sensible (for the circumstances) number of cars, find a job I can do and find somewhere to live before September then it's over between us. It's the wake-up call I've needed, and as much as I am a certifiable petrol head and Citroen junkie, the choice between her and my cars is a no-brainer.

Given what BXs are selling for (peanuts unless a nice diesel, a GTi or a sorted 4x4) I can't justify putting the money into my BX, and I need to get it off Graham's drive ASAP. The CX TRS will be going too, I've backed out of purchasing the Visa convertible and even the XM is in danger of going.

I need something cheap to run, and my recently secured 1983 Mercedes W123 240 diesel is the sensible choice of car to keep. I'm going to hang on to the CX Prestige for now, it's out of the way on mum's drive and I'll hopefully continue the restoration in dribs and drabs until things improve.

So, I could probably get more at the scrap metal dealer than ebay for the car, and given that it has been given away several times with BXClub I can't see there being any takers - even Richard isn't saving BX's at the moment...

So, If someone wants it for scrap money, come and get it (trailer required) otherwise I can sell some bits on here and then weigh the rest in.

It's not a light decision - I'm quite attached to the car, and feel sorry for it, but emotions for a tatty lump of metal and plastic are thrown into perspective when faced with losing Natasha...

..and she IS right - having 5 cars when I can't afford to put fuel in any one of them is a bit silly, and at 38 I'm too old to be living at my mum's, and too intelligent and skilled to let my illness beat me and sit home doing nothing when I could find a job and make some money, and build a future for me, for us.

There you have it, I will be down to one Citroen, and my daily drive will be an old Merc. Quite a change, but I need to do something, and I can't wait much longer to do it. I'll still be here, however, and will own a BX in spirit at least until things improve and I can have a tidy GTi 4x4. You don't get rid of me so easily :)

SO, if anyone wants this car, or pieces thereof, let me know. Bear in mind I'll need to be able to drive it to the scrappies, so that will limit what I can remove. The CX 22TRS is for sale also, so give me a PM if interested.

Thanks everyone.
Last edited by rayfenwick on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Ok Ray

A difficult one but Im sure I speak for us all when I say I understand your decision, after all they are just cars.

Lets hope it finds a good home as youve done quite a bit work already.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Thanks Tim. Yes, I'll be disappointed that the work already done and the parts I've fitted will be largely lost. I've some new parts (brake disks, ball joints, link bars etc) that I can sell, and there's also the things like the radio flap and some other interior bits that I've sorted. The inside is clean and tidy, other than the driver's side footwell needing a shampoo, but the paint is rough, the tailgate has peeled in places, passenger side doors need replacing... if you've got the bits and fancy an early petrol auto it's a great buy for £120-ish - it drives really well, engine & gearbox are spot on, and other than the octopus issue there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with suspension, brakes or steering. The couple of times I've driven it I've been impressed with everything. As it is, I can't look it in the eye, so to speak... :(
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

All I can say is that I'm pleased to hear that things are on the up with you and Nat. :)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Good! Old chunks of metal are very easily replaced at any stage of life, more important heart strings aren't that easy. good luck Ray.

Just a quick point on the old Mercedes; W123 series finished production in 1985 with the odd 86 registration + the 230 was a petrol unit with the diesel being the 4 cylinder 240 or 5 cylinder 300, As I also have a great fondness for the W123 series is it one or is it the later W124?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

mat_fenwick wrote:All I can say is that I'm pleased to hear that things are on the up with you and Nat. :)
Thanks Mat, me too.. :)
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Defender110 wrote:Good! Old chunks of metal are very easily replaced at any stage of life, more important heart strings aren't that easy. good luck Ray.

Just a quick point on the old Mercedes; W123 series finished production in 1985 with the odd 86 registration + the 230 was a petrol unit with the diesel being the 4 cylinder 240 or 5 cylinder 300, As I also have a great fondness for the W123 series is it one or is it the later W124?
I can proof read words, but numbers elude me :)

It's a 31/12/1983 registered W123 240D. :oops:
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Best wishes with all that Ray - I'm sure you're doing the right thing. Citroens are bit like women anyway - one is a challenge - more than one is madness! (unless you have VERY deep pockets!) :D
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Ray,

im trying not to ask, but how much for the 22TRS?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

It's fine. It's no secret really. The car cost £360+£170 train and petrol to get it home.

I've spent £400ish (materials plus very cheap rates to my brother) getting everything done for the MOT (passed with no "misery hiders" - there's no rust other than minor scabs where trim pins go through the body (which will be tended to)) and had new Brembo rear brake discs fitted, correct Blaupunkt gooseneck stereo (cassette and CD!), new over mats and of course the dreaded tax.

I'm into the car for about £1100 as it stands, and I believe it is easily worth it. However...

I'll be collecting an identical car, same year, same model, same colour, but with a sunroof, which will solve the problems of the flat bonnet paint, cut parcel shelf carpet and scratched rear door on mine, plus fog lights, map light and a rear louvre!

These will push the value up a bit, as it will be visually much nicer, and have some nice toys, plus will give me some spares for this and the Prestige, and I can then scrap the remainder (assuming the car is as rusty as I think it is...)

So, as it is now, somewhere around a grand with the tax (already a loss...). As it will be in a couple of months, about £1500, but again that's with no profit at all.

What's a rust-sorted CX worth? It's up to the buyer and seller to reach an agreement on that, as always :) But I saw rustier CXs for sale at £2000+ at Wetherby...

Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I can understand your meed to recoup what you have in her Ray, but its too rich for me at the moment im afraid.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

I know I'll probably end up losing on the car, but only financially.... :)

I've had a great time if I'm honest, and I'm sure Graham has enjoyed it too. Not every moment perhaps, but I'm sure the overall feel is that it has been worth it.

If you (or anyone else) wants to put in an offer via PM that's fine with me. The worst I can do is say no :)

I won't let it go for pennies, because I know it's worth more. CXs rarely come up for sale these days, and when they do they're either rust-buckets or they're good cars with a big price tag. The TRS isn't as glam as a Pallas or as powerful (or thirsty!) as a GTi/Turbo/2. Diesels are rare, and expensive when they do come up for sale. The TRS is probably the most practical to run as a daily driver, and I've nothing bad to say about it. I'd rather keep it, but it's not practical at the moment to be paying over a grand a year in road tax alone when you're only on sick money, so some have to go.... :(
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Well, the final entry in the diary of my BX ownership is here. E141 WHR has gone back to Richard, and at least it's tidier than it was when it arrived, so I don't feel so bad about it all in the end. I did my bit, so to speak.

Whether it ends up on the road, of by being broken so that others may live, it's a lot better than the weigh-bridge.

So now I'm BX-less. I can't see me having another for a while, but when circumstances improve I wouldn't rule it out completely ;) I'll be sticking around, if no-one minds :)

Last edited by rayfenwick on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'm sure we could see it again one day. I was a lovely drive.

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Philip Chidlow wrote:I was a lovely drive.
Was you really Phil? :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad