GTi 8v - with issues - but maybe?

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
stingraynick

GTi 8v - with issues - but maybe?

Post by stingraynick »

Hi,
I've been on the look out for a BX for some with no particular preference in mind, although I originally thought along the lines of TD.
But for a little while now I've been open to the idea of any model.
I've tracked a few in eBay, seen one or two, bid (and lost) on a couple. Perhaps I'm undervaluing.
Rare for me is to find one locally, 3 miles from home.
It is the earlier GTi, in black, with about 85k miles, full history, known by the seller (garage) since he sold it new. Looked after it ever since apart from one service. 2 owners, company bought but the second was the company car driver. So one driver from new.
Engine sounds fine, lifted up nicely, no obvious leaks oil/LHM

Sounds excellent, BUT....
- MOT runs out and ABS wiring has burnt out and apparently will need replacing for new MOT
- some slight rust forming at the inside of the rear door openings, scabby but not major looking and not really burst' through yet
- four or five 5p size rust scabs just in front of the electric sun roof which works and apparently seals as it should
- hint only of rust showing above the hinges to the front drivers door
- laquer gone in various places, bonnet, roof and spoiler. Recommendation would be remove laquer in full, base spray (black) and re-laquer
- interior tired, with covers deatached/loose, particularly on the drivers seat which also has a hole.

Compared to some, according to descriptions/photos this is not a very attractive example in terms of condition. but it is similar to those I've seen in the flesh. Except another 8v that was 2 years old when I drove it, and 1.6 ?$% 'A; reg that I also drove when new!

My questions are, should I go for it? Would you go for it? How much with MOT and paint tarted up? Anybody care to lead me on this one or .....?!

Regards, Nick
Southend, Essex
Currently DSuper5 (daily driver), previous Citroen GS, 2CV (*4), Xantia (*4), Plurier (well, my partner's).
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Scrap value in all honesty.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Nick

Welcome to the forum, there are some nice examples still out there, its a case of finding them, the one you mention sounds like about £150 worth (scrap value), mending the ABS sounds interesting, interiors are common and easy to replace, BUT if its rotten in the rear door shuts (those scabs may turn into GAPING holes if prodded) then I wouldnt bother.

It depends on your ability and how much you are willing to spend. A Nice GTi 8v is still sub £1000 these days, does it have to be a GTi or just a nice example. Diesels are more popular and more common but finding one thats not done massive miles and been used and abused can be tricky.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
stingraynick

Post by stingraynick »

Thanks for the replies.

I guess you've probably crystallized my gut feeling and that is to walk away.

I am looking for a nice example, probably petrol with hindsight, GTi would be good. I know I've missed out on one or two really nice ones recently based upon comments here or there where people have known a particular example.

I guess I was being a little persuaded by the mere proximity of the car. I've missed out on a couple because I wasn't quick enough or they're perhaps too far. Travelling can easily add 20% or thereabouts to the value of a car.
Nick
1972 DSuper5
1999 Xantia V6
Still looking for my first BX....
Previously GS, 3 2CV6's, 5 Xantia's, ZX and XM V6.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Nick

I see your down south, which seems to be where alot of BX's come from, my own TZI came from Southend! Theres a few other members around your area too which I am sure would be willing to assist in finding the "right car".

Also worth keeping an eye on autotrader and www.carandclassic.com.

I help run the "bx side" of the Citroen Car Club, and get a few cars offered to me, I will let you know.
stingraynick

Post by stingraynick »

Thanks (Tim?),

I did look at an estate I saw advertised through the carandclassic website but warning lights came on during the test drive.

I'm pretty sure I've contacted the seller of the white Pilot as well and it's no longer for sale. The description of the car might match the one I saw today.

I should have tried for the 1.6 Auto bought/sold recently!

Regards,
Nick
1972 DSuper5
1999 Xantia V6
Still looking for my first BX....
Previously GS, 3 2CV6's, 5 Xantia's, ZX and XM V6.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Nick,

Yes Tim Leech here from the CCC, bide your time, Im sure a nice car will show up soon.