1989(G) Axonite Grey BX GTi Automatic

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
nomisf

1989(G) Axonite Grey BX GTi Automatic

Post by nomisf »

Hi All,

We have had this BX for about a year, has served well until it mysteriously stopped running a few months back. Its not in bad nick, Lacquer is peeled on the roof, but I can't see any rust. It will start and run until it warms up, then sounds like the timing goes out and it refuses to run until it cools. I don't have the time to fix it, and am looking to go for a jap classic this time anyway!

It has MOT until August 1st 2012 and no tax, will need to be trailered away.

If no one wants it, its going to the scrap yard in the sky at the end of the week, otherwise 200 ono takes it.

Any questions to spafrost@gmail.com.

Located in Reading, Berkshire

Last edited by nomisf on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BX 19 GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Sounds like a fuelling issue to me?

Please dont scrap it, they are getting rare now!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Try unplugging the vacuum advance (it actually retards it but hey) hose from the dizzy and blocking it off.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
BX Meteor
BXpert

Re: 1989(G) Axonite Grey BX GTi Automatic

Post by BX Meteor »

nomisf wrote:Hi All,

We have had this BX for about a year, has served well until it mysteriously stopped running a few months back. Its not in bad nick, Lacquer is peeled on the roof, but I can't see any rust. It will start and run until it warms up, then sounds like the timing goes out and it refuses to run until it cools. I don't have the time to fix it, and am looking to go for a jap classic this time anyway!

It has MOT until August 1st 2012 and no tax, will need to be trailered away.

If no one wants it, its going to the scrap yard in the sky at the end of the week, otherwise 200 ono takes it.

Any questions to spafrost@gmail.com.
Where do you live (closest town if rural), if you're near me (Loughborough) I'll contact you

If you're not near me, it's still a good idea to post your location to get interest
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

DON'T scrap it! :( Anyone on here interested?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Location, location, location.
nomisf

Post by nomisf »

Ah, thought my location was being displayed.

I am in Purley On Thames, Just Outside Reading (RG8).

I have been trying to get it running for months, It has new or tested second hand everything, dizzy/rotor arm/cap/relays/fuel pump/rail/injectors. The only thing original is the ECU and metering head.

I dont want to scrap it, but its now at the point where I just don't have time or motivation for it, nor the money to spend tracking down difficult parts - hence my offering it here first!
BX 19 GTi Auto
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Re: 1989(G) Axonite Grey BX GTi Automatic

Post by Mickey taker »

nomisf wrote:Located in Reading, Berkshire
:lol:
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

My guess would be the air-flow meter has a fault meaning it's fueling too much, and as the engine gets warm it's just too much fuel. Does it run at a fast idle without stopping (eg 2500 RPM)...As a car of this age idles at around 850 RPM, the tracks in the airflow meter can get worn in one place as even though it is roughly still, the marginal fluctuations in idle speed can wear out the track at this point. Does it start to smell rich from the exhaust? Either that or there is a split somewhere in the air inlet piping meaning its metering a certain amount of air and only getting this certain amount minus the bit that escaped. Mind you, being a non-turbo it would be a vacume meaning too much air and not enough fuel.

As a crude test, mark the position of the air flow meter tuning allen bolt and experiment by turning it out to decrease the fueling, then if that fails turn it in to increase the fueling. In fact rather than marking the position it is just as well to count the number of turns to the fully screwed in position.

I would check these things and then replace the ECU. Should make a decent car for someone. I don't know my auto's that well but I would guess that there is some kind of added complication too.

Also, I don't know if the GTi has one, but some cars of this era have a wax-stat operated flap that takes warm air from the exhaust manifold when the cars cold, and cold air from elsewhere when its warm. Could it be that this has failed or that one of the passage-ways is blocked?

Adam
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

nomisf wrote:Ah, thought my location was being displayed.

I am in Purley On Thames, Just Outside Reading (RG8).

I have been trying to get it running for months, It has new or tested second hand everything, dizzy/rotor arm/cap/relays/fuel pump/rail/injectors. The only thing original is the ECU and metering head.

I dont want to scrap it, but its now at the point where I just don't have time or motivation for it, nor the money to spend tracking down difficult parts - hence my offering it here first!
Damn, too far for me ....anyone else interested in a BX with 5 months MOT for £200 ?????
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

It would be a great buy for someone. I would buy it but now is a bad time...In the unlikely event its still available in a month or so I would, but somebody is bound to get this one before then. It looks really smart.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Not another petrol not running right :?: :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

:lol: :lol:
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Anyone know what happened about this car? A GTI auto would definitely be on my shopping list if I had any dosh - which I haven't (anymore)