parts clearout

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
BX Meteor
BXpert

parts clearout

Post by BX Meteor »

I've been busy trying to sort out the BX and trying to sort out my garage.

I have far too many spares in my garage and it all needs clearing out, because I want to continue with restoration of my "real" car (British), which my grandfather bought new in 1952 and I have had since 1974. The car has sat untouched in this garage since 2004, with parts filling up the space around it.

As I pull out the stuff I will advertise it here, some of it is new, and some came off previous BX's that I've owned in the past and scrapped.

To save on postage costs, I can bring a lot of it to the X rally, for collection or distribution.

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

How much for the saucepan? :lol:
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

mds141 wrote:How much for the saucepan? :lol:
or the horse's head in middle pic ??
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

sod the bx bits tell me about the daimler Brian (for I believe thats what it is ) model, lump, what needs doing , I am liking what I see
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Mickey taker wrote:sod the bx bits tell me about the daimler Brian (for I believe thats what it is ) model, lump, what needs doing , I am liking what I see
I'll second that! It does look rather interesting, now that's a proper car.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

It's a Daimler Consort, I have the original receipt and log book etc.

The Consort is part of the models in the DB18 2½ litre sequence, with epicyclic semi-automatic gearbox coupled by fluid flywheel to the 2½ litre straight 6. This design can be traced back to when Daimler bought Lanchester, and then war production of the Daimler Scout Car in WW2.

Initially Daimler used the name "Fifteen" for models with the 2½ litre engine. Then in 1946 they called it, with amazing ingenuity, "The Daimler 2½ Litre". In 1949/50 they made some changes to the body and brakes, and called it the "Consort". Then in 1953 they made some more changes and called it the "Conquest". But basically, the chassis/engine/transmission is not much different all the way through.

There are variants built onto the chassis, with bodywork by Tickford, Hooper, and Barker. The Barker Special Sports is a fabulous car and is worth at least double that of a Consort.

My grandfather could have bought the Jaguar Mark VII instead of the Daimler Consort, but he thought the Daimler marque had more snob value where he lived in Manchester. Although the Jaguar Mark VII is a far better looking car IMO with the engine from the XK120, I've been told that if he had bought a Jag then it would have rusted away, as Daimler used thicker steel and aluminium in critical areas of the body.

The chassis on my car is in excellent condition, because in 1976 I stripped the car down (but left the body on the chassis) and sanded the chassis and painted it with Kurust (or whatever it was in those days) and then layers of primer and black Dulux paint, which is still as good as when I painted it on. However, my grandfather never put anti-freeze in the engine, and in the winter of 1963 the cast-iron block cracked in his garage. Water would weep out of a corner (the cooling system is not pressurised) and I found another engine in Loot in the 1980's which I went to collect in my Ami Super Estate. I stripped that engine down and rebuilt it but it really needed a re-bore. I want to take it out again and re-do it properly. I still have the original block and wonder what to do with it. The original woodwork and instrumentation is in fairly good condition, but the drivers seat and passnger seat both need to be recovered. The leather in the back is OK ....well it only got a good workout with my Uni girlfriend, though I was also stopped by Plod with 11 in the car, 6 in the back and 5 in the front. It would have been 13, but 2 girls decided to leave the Koh I Noor in a taxi.

The car itself is not worth a lot of money, in 2007 I saw one go on eBay in superb condition for about £10k, but now they would struggle to reach £5k.

However, the registration (original, and I got a proper V5 back in 1980) on my Consort is ..... xxx 911 ... which is worth more than the car itself ever will. I want a Porsche to match the Daimler reg plate !!!

If I win the lottery, I want a massive air-conditioned garage to do a complete body-off restoration. I also want a Barker Special Sports, and a Daimler Dart. That's all I want, not asking for too much from our maker. Oh and a Humber Hawk too.

Right .... hopefully some prices and pics of BX parts later tomorrow.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

and I thought I was being greedy wanting a wolseley 16/60.
lovely car Brian and I hope it do's return to the road one day , it certainly deserves too, its not about what its worth its about its pedigree and the memories it holds.

FFS we have to think of it that way or we wouldent drive BX's :lol:

now stop blabbering on about the past and get your spare parts listed so we can see if theres anything worth blowing our pocket money on :lol:
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

oh and I dont suppose theres a round thingy in any of those boxes ?
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Mickey taker wrote:oh and I dont suppose theres a round thingy in any of those boxes ?
you never know until I get to the back of the garage, a lot of it goes back to 2004. I've already found 2 Bendix rear discs, and some Bendix front pads, and I bought some cheap ebay rear discs and pads for this BX a couple of years back :shock:
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

umm looking forward to seeing the list of your hidden treasures

( do s that sound wrong or is it just me :lol: )
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

Last edited by BX Meteor on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Mickey taker wrote:umm looking forward to seeing the list of your hidden treasures

( do s that sound wrong or is it just me :lol: )
Nah, doesn't sound wrong, 'the list of' spoils it, if you'd just said seeing you're hidden treasures - now that would sound dirty!
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

see "parts clearout part2"