BX Mk1 19RD estate - £SOLD

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

BX Mk1 19RD estate - £SOLD

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ok, here we go. Due to my usual tendency to change cars, I'm offering the Mk1 estate for sale.

Off the road for three years, I resurrected it and got it MOTd. It had welding to the boot floor and tailgate hinge over Christmas, at which point the badly dented rear wing was somewhat improved.

Has since had the seats replaced, two front doors replaced, the tailgate replaced, the accumulator replaced. Has also had a new radiator, water pump, timing belt, battery, RH front suspension wishbone, thermostat and two tyres as well as a complete drain and refill of the LHM.

Does that mean it's finished then? Not at all! There is still work to do, which is reflected in the price I hope (which is less than it owes me).

The engine is smoky on start up and seems slightly down on power. Suspect an air leak. It's had new glow plugs. The steering assistance is intermittent. Suspect a duff pump and/or FDV. The gearbox has no first gear synchromesh. The rear doors are rotten (one Mk2 replacement can be included in sale). The passenger side sill is dented and rotten (a sill will be included in sale). The roof above (and probably around) the windscreen has rot and will need attention, and I reckon it's crusty beneath both washer bottles. Some tailgate wiring is still needed.

However, it is driving and it did easily make it to Lincolnshire and back for the X Rally! You'll struggle to find another. I'm asking £795.

I don't wish to be without a BX, so will consider a swap/pt ex. Would like to try a Turbo Diesel, but I'm open to pretty much anything as long as it's in good condition - hatch or estate.

There are 27 pages of 'warts and all' history here. viewtopic.php?t=14865

Sale includes tax until August, MOT until September, a Mk1 dashboard, a Mk2 rear door, lots of wheel trims, a Mk1 steering wheel and probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

Last edited by Dollywobbler on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It was the RH ball joint that was replaced, and both wishbones & bushes. Also had glowplugs and a front brake caliper.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Jeez. We've done so much I've forgotten! Did we really change both wishbones? You're absolutely right about the RH balljoint and caliper and I also forgot to mention that I've purchased a RH track rod end which will need fitting at some point.

EDIT - yes, despite me forgetting, we did replace both wishbones. Fortunately I've kept a pretty good photo record of work carried out.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

has this car just passed the MOT if so how much did you pay the tester :shock: :wink:

as usualy rot on the sill and skuttel/washer bottle area should fail,

sounds like before you did the work she should have bin a breaker,

i shall run and hide now :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I think the sill was an advisory. I don't think the scuttle rot is that bad, though I do take your point. I think it got missed to be honest.

It certainly has come back from the brink. It will need further restoration work, but it is a working project rather than an utter basket case.
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

You've forgot to mention the usual stats from howmanyleft.com, the word "mint", the fact it'll massively appreciate in value and that the numberplate in itself is worth £1,000,000 :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Could always swop my N/A diesel Estate. The TZd is a keeper for me ime afraid.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Can't say I blame you for wanting to put some miles on the TZD after all that work! Have you got a thread on the TXD?
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

No, i havnt Ian.
bought her off Feebay 6 years ago and done 20k in her since then, now up to 129k.

A good motor but not perfect. Mot'd in March, pm me if you would like more info.

Andy
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Please some masochist take this on. I can't believe you're getting rid of it Ian. I think you'll struggle to get that price though no matter what you're invested. If someone has got a Mk.1 donor vehicle lying around that would certainly help with its rehab but it does need some off-the-road attention

I was given a Mk.1 estate better than this purely because the owner had seen my masochist certificate and was more interested in its survival but I couldn't take it on.. the amount I've invested in mine and I doubt I'd get that money for it.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Can't say I blame you for wanting to put some miles on the TZD after all that work! Have you got a thread on the TXD?
Having seen the car myself, I can confirm (asides some yellow paint in rather odd places) its in excellent condition! And very shiny for a red car.

Plus has the more (user friendly) Black GTi Stylee interior....
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

[quote="toddao"] If someone has got a Mk.1 donor vehicle lying around that would certainly help with its rehab but it does need some off-the-road attention
[quote]

He's already got half my DTR :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I've got to be honest and say I was very suprised when Ian took this car on in the first place. I don't thinkmthere are many out there who would have and even less who will be willing at that price i'm afraid.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I don't see why you'd need a donor vehicle to make this one sound again. People seem to assume it's a complete wreck because it has some rust and some dented panels. It's really not that bad! I wouldn't be driving around in it if it was.

As for the price. I'm hardly going to advertise it at the minimum I'd take for it am I? I'm not going to let it go for peanuts though. I'd like to sell it, but it doesn't mean I have to.
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

If I hasn't just bought a garage today......
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari