BX Mk1 19RD estate - £SOLD

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

A garage? Nice one. Probably more useful than a BX estate in need of work I must admit...

Sale isn't quite on hold, but I'm not eagerly pursuing it either. Will crack on with the work, though as the expenditure rises, I might become less inclined to haggle!
scooters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scooters »

somkey on start up is likely to be the starter engine and or the positive battery cable and or the main earth if it is still playing up after the glow plugs - as I am sure you know the smoke is uncombusted diesel - the missus will love that all over the garden,washing, cat etc - what can happen if this is still the situation post glow plug change is that the starter motor can be down on efficiancy usually because either:
a/the brushes are fecked
b/ water has got into the motor and has sat causing calcification of road salts (this just happened with a 2004 Focus I am working on with exactly the same symntoms)
c/ bits of metal dust get into the starter motor and decrease the efficiancy

a diesel starter motor has to engage the first piston with a serious WHAM to ensure compression and ignition - usually abotu 750 RMP of ommph - any less than this and the engine will splutter into life. The starter motor needs to be at optimum efficiancy - it may even sound strong but is just that wee bit too tierd to actually get it moving.

drop in current can also becaused by an oxidised positive battery cable and or an oxidised battery negative cable.

I would remove the starter motor, take it to bits, giv e it a really good clean - make sure the brish3es are ok and if not replace them, remove and check the cables oxidisation can lurk inside them, clean and grease all earth points and give it a spin and see what happens. This fixed the Focus I'm working on despite the garage saying the glow plugs were at fault and replacing the whole glow plug system 3 times without success.

2 other causes of this can be:

1/ a less than 100% battery - you shoyuld use calcium batteries with these oil burners as they hold their max current better
2/ worst case is that you have a dual core flywheel - and it has failed - I don't know if the XUD has a dual core flywheel - many post 80's oil burners do - it cuts down on vibration by having a free wheeling second flywheel which is engaged by the starter motor teeth and is whammed into the flywheel proper by it's spinning - a bit like a centrafugel clutch in a Daf :lol: - after years of this action the mechanism can get screwed, the teeth chewed and the whole shebang needs to go to a workshop or be replaced - a big job which means you might as well replace the clutch while at it. Unlikely to be this but if all else fails.

Worth noting that many many diesels go on like this for years without any relability issues. If you try everything else and it is still playing up then suspect the flywheel but I would leave it until the next clutch replacment, unless you are into lying round under the car leering at the little octopus to get your pervy kicks :lol:

GLWTS Ian, shame you are moving it on - but hats off to you for saving it
1991 BX16 TGS Meteor (arriving soon)
1996 306 TD
1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Quadcam
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'm not entirely convinced it is a diesel-not-burnt problem. Unburnt diesel doesn't tend to have a blue tinge to it in my experience - more grey. That said, it's got a lot better since I bodged up the primer with sealant! A temporary measure until I get a new pump head.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: BX Mk1 19RD estate - £495

Post by Dollywobbler »

Price drop to £495 or sensible offers. The fact that I've done absolutely nothing with this car over the past two months suggests that I just don't have the time/funds to progress this one further, so better to sell now while there's still Tax and Test on it.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Ian

I will copy the advert to the CCC,
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Tim. It's been fun, but I'm just not going to get this one finished!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Thanks Tim. It's been fun, but I'm just not going to get this one finished!

Its much better off than it was, having known what a money pit the DTR is and how much worse (sorry) your car is PLUS you have to keep using it I can understand.

It really needs taking off the road and having a full strip down.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I may have to concede that this will be the best course of action. It's much more solid than it was though. I just can't fund any further work at the moment. In fact, until we shift some cars, I can't fund any work on any of my cars!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If I wasn't busy trying to get my motorbike license, as well as finding a better commuter bike than the Chinese crap I'm currently using, I'd be really interested - Oh well:-(
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Will you just Shhhhhhh with this evil temptation!
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

*Looks at Jayboy's signature* There must be some sort of deal possible. No MOT worries for you! Perfect car! ;)

I'm not helping am I?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Jayboy wrote:Will you just Shhhhhhh with this evil temptation!
Sorry. I refuse to remove the temptation! My incomings have reduced a fair amount over the summer, so I just can't move this project forward anymore. Sale would include a replacement nearside sill, as well as loads of other Mk1 spares (including a dashboard). I'm sure some movement on price would be possible... It really does need to go - preferably to a serious BX lover...

Ian
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

There's really not much interest in this is there? I'll have to take some For Sale signs to the ICCCR.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I have entertained ideas of buying it for a long-term project, getting it ship shape and turning it into an RS auto (16 auto petrol with LPG, after sorting out the GT of course). But, as usual ideas will have to remain as ideas due to financial limitations.

It would be trés trés cool to have 2 MK1 rare BX's in the same colour though, wouldn't it.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Tom buy it

This picture does give me a serious trouser event though:

I wonder if my parents would let me store a car in their massive garage...
ImageImageImageImageImage