Red Baron seeks loving new home

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Red Baron seeks loving new home

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi all,

With the '2012 Chidlow Family Transportation Plan' in operation, the BX is now sadly somewhat redundant with the summer holiday (1500 mile round trip with five passengers and luggage) coming up. What's more we need some dosh to help pay for said event. But fear not! BX land, I shall return :)

Many will say don't go on holiday then! - sorry not an option for me... OR sell the 806 and get your daughter and her boyfriend to follow you across in their MX-5... I did consider this, but first, it adds £500 to the cost of the holiday: crossing via the Eurotunnel as we are, plus fuel (even if they crossed via ferry it'd still cost around £380-420 extra). Second, my daughter and her chap have never driven in France and given their general inexperience I wouldn't feel that comfortable. They'd also probably want European breakdown cover which'd add another £80 or so. So essentially I don't think it's viable. Also if it's going to be as hot as is now predicted; 33 degrees plus, then air con - (as the 806 has) would be good for the passengers and me alike.

Shame but the (or a) bus has to stay (Liz wants a bigger vehicle for her fledgling furniture buying/selling plans too) and as I say when things improve I can buy another BX - or a GS (shhh... did I really say that?!).

I know I have a reputation for high car turnover (who says the 806 will fare better?!) but as a family we have a need and, at the end of the day, I can always get another BX next year - I fancy another 8v or 16v actually - when circumstances and availability allow.

So I am offering it up here first (well, second, 'cos Kermit sadly can't buy it).

At £650ono.

Not cheap - but given its pedigree, reliability and driveability, I'd say its fair. Especially given the long MOT. If nobody here can take it on, next stop, CCC, eBay/Car & Classic... I shall need the deal done soon so CCC on Sunday a.m and eBay on Sunday pm.

Background:

A chap in the Citroën Car Club owned it for a couple of years but then had to go back to NZ so offered it to a good home. It was in need of TLC and there were some issues to sort.

Kermit and I were keen to find a BX for the Citroën Classic Challenge, and this fitted the bill.

In the end what it really needed was a bloody good clean and polish, the sunroof drain tubes clearing, some minor adjustments and lubrication, an oil change and a good rag around to clear its lungs. It had a fuel leak, front brakes were shot etc. but it was all dealt with for the Challenge.

Since last Spring it's had:
Polish (red T-Cut)
A new front bumper
A Cone filter type induction kit to replace the heavy and relatively inefficient standard air box (this has made a positive difference)
New OE cambelt fitted at 173k miles
Two oil changes with Purflux filters
New Purflux fuel filter
Fuel lines (front to rear)
2 replacement tyres (the spare's been replaced too)
A course of BP Ultimate diesel and Millers Eco-Max diesel treatment
New Bendix front discs and Citroen front pads
Reconditioned front wiper motor
Spray bar replaced
Seat base replaced
Trims repainted
Manual override switch for the fan
High level brake light
High intensity headlight bulbs

MOT is until May 13 2013 and Tax runs out at the end of November.

It does upwards of 46 mpg on a run and rarely less around town.

It even has a working original radio. The sunroof's working too. And the interior's dry. :)

It performed faultlessly over the 2000 miles of the Classic Challenge. Just this weekend it did a 300 mile round trip at an average of 65mph and returned 46 mpg.

Points to bear in mind:
There's the hint of maybe air getting in somewhere or possibly water in the fuel filter housing which VERY occasionally means you have to start it twice if it's just warm - for instance I do a run of about a mile stop, then return to the car and sometimes it'll cough. But it always does start. And it runs like a dream and really is not that far off turbo pace. It's the most eager and responsive 19 n/a I've driven. Maybe the glow plugs could do with changing in the future? (I do have a spare set somewhere I can sell at cost). However I haven't ruled out dodgy supermarket diesel so will run it with high quality stuff (plus the obligatory Millers) next week.

As is common with many a BX, the heater tap is stuck to mildly warm but the blower works fine.

Corrosion: Well, it passed the MOT with no advisories. The inner wings have been repaired in their time and are solid. The exhaust hanger's still OK, although there are some patched up holes in the inner rear wings and along the rear of the boot floor. Water tight and protected and certainly not structural, but I would get properly welded one day if I kept the car.

Being the grey interior it's nice and airy inside with sunroof, electric windows up front, rear headrests, rear blinds (the rear parcel shelve has a slight burn 'patch' on it but it's not too noticeable - but there's a story behind it as some of you may know ;)

It doesn't use any significant amounts of oil or lose/drip LHM and the cooling system's in good order.

That's about it.

I can't let it go for a 'song' as it represents quite an investment in time and money - as well as being hard to replace like for like now but the reserve set is realistic.

Also included is the über-desirable sunroof wind deflector and there's a Haynes BX book and Diesel book in the boot. The Challenge stickers have been removed, but there are a few little plaques etc. remaining on the car. They come off OK if you want.

I also have a just about brand new set of headlight protector and a spare clutch cable which will be sold separately, but the buyer of the BX will get first dibs to buy.

Phil

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: Red Baron seeks loving new home

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Tell me, chaps. Am I being too ambitious with price? The reserve I set on eBay needs to be realistic.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I don't think so Phil. If I had the spare cash I'd snap it up without hesitation. I've seen it perform, which it did on the CCC, admirably so, IMHO. Whoever buys it will undoubtably be getting a cracking voiture. Best of luck with the sale. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Philip Chidlow wrote: Image
Any chance you could get some decent pics up Phil - always helps when trying to shift a motor! :D

Good luck with the sale, but given the Barons condition and pedigree I wouldn't have thought you'd need it. Shame it's got to go though. :(
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Paul296 wrote: Image
Any chance you could get some decent pics up Phil - always helps when trying to shift a motor! :D . :([/quote]

yeah , you thought he might have cleaned it before taking the pictures :D
good luck Phil ,it looks a cracking car
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Tell me, chaps. Am I being too ambitious with price? The reserve I set on eBay needs to be realistic.
TGDs with 180,000 miles don't normally fetch £650 (although they should & more) the fact ''it represents quite an investment in time and money'' I'm afraid doesn't increase the value.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, I will be a little more realistic maybe and set a reserve a tad lower. But I agree these cars should fetch that sort of money because they're so good. Recent sales show the BX market to be a bit all over the place with some surprisingly low and some very high prices being achieved... so I could get lucky, who knows.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Well, I will be a little more realistic maybe and set a reserve a tad lower. But I agree these cars should fetch that sort of money because they're so good. Recent sales show the BX market to be a bit all over the place with some surprisingly low and some very high prices being achieved... so I could get lucky, who knows.
Yep, I think you may need to skim a 100 quid off your 650 Phil, but still hope for the best. The disparity in recent BX prices largely centres around low mileage; sub 80k(ish) and they fly off the shelf for good money. Personally, I think low mileage is a bit of an overated virtue. I'd go for a previous owner with a diagnosis of OCD everytime! :D
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Sad that your parting with it so soon after the challenge, but theres a trend with you and mpv's/bx's so see you back here in about
amonth?? :wink:
Last edited by Tim Leech on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

You know me. Seriously, if I was earning more I wouldn't sell. Liz and I both don't really want to sell. The 806 is a more practical vehicle for us given our needs at present, and yet, to change our plans just so we could keep the BX isn't something we want to do either. The way things are going, the bus will have to last us for a while before I can indulge in a BX again.

Yes folks. It really is that bad. :(
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I've dropped the reserve and started it at a modest £250. PM me if really interested and I'll give you the reserve and the club BIN.

Turns out the minor issue I thought might be due to air getting in somewhere must have been fuel contamination (same symptoms as before) and is now clearing nicely after some BP Ultimate and a dose of Millers.

And guess what - it has a BX Club sticker in the window ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0703554248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ragger
BXpert

Post by ragger »

How difficult is it to sort the heater tap problem? I have often heard of this being a weakness, but both of the ones I have owned have worked fine.

Rob
Regards
Rob

BX 1.4
XM V6 Exclusive
Fiat Multipla
VW Polo
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Not really bothered me TBH except for the time I drove to Brussels in minus 13 degrees.... could've done with a tad more heat then! I think Vanny's posted a lot about this fix. But in all honesty I haven't tried to hard to free it for fear of breaking something. It doesn't currently leak/weep - so that's a bonus in my book.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sounds fiddly, but not impossible. It's a good idea to regularly move the heater tap position - I tend to do this every time I jump into the mk1 as the tap is free in that. It's jammed solid in the Mk2.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

And if auctions aren't your thing: http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C317914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reserve on eBay is a fair bit less than this asking price so feel free to make offers. ;)