BX fuel gauge

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Neil1

BX fuel gauge

Post by Neil1 »

Hi there,

The fuel gauge needle on my 1991 TGD has started to wobble around. Does anyone have an idea if dirt on the sensor could be causing this?

Best wishes from Neil
Best wishes from Neil
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: BX fuel gauge

Post by Tim Leech »

Could be a bad earth perhaps? worth checking the tank sender.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi bud,

this happened to me on my TXD a while back. I easily cured it by just pulling off the lead at the top of the tank and giving it all a good clean and scrape with some sandpaper and Bob's your Uncle, job done. Problem has never returned.
Hope this will sort yours.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Senders can play up. On the Mk1, I pulled it out, cleaned it with petrol, made sure the slider was sliding properly and put it back in. A very simple job but watch out for fuel spills. Tried doing the same on the Mk2 but needed a new sender.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

The tank sender is playing up on my TZD and is one of the few things I left on my old TGD when I scrapped it. Doesn't matter how many parts you save 'just in case' it is always the bit you didn't save that you end up needing #-o . Mine isn't eratic just inaccurate, It can show 3/4 full one minute then 1/4 full 2 minutes later.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Defender110 wrote:Mine isn't eratic just inaccurate, It can show 3/4 full one minute then 1/4 full 2 minutes later.

I thought they all did that? i know a couple of mine do that something to do with the bigger tank.
Neil1

Post by Neil1 »

Thanks to you all! I am definitely going to have a go at cleaning it.
Best wishes from Neil
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Neil1 wrote:Thanks to you all! I am definitely going to have a go at cleaning it.
Try the contacts alone first incase this is the easy 'quick fix' before dismantling the lot.

Andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Tim Leech wrote:
Defender110 wrote:Mine isn't eratic just inaccurate, It can show 3/4 full one minute then 1/4 full 2 minutes later.

I thought they all did that? i know a couple of mine do that something to do with the bigger tank.
Is it just me Tim or can you watch the fuel guage going down in front of your eyes with the 1.6 petrol BX?

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The tank on a 1.6 is smaller than some of the bigger engined cars, I always found my 16TRS to be quite good on fuel to be honest.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Mothman wrote:
Tim Leech wrote:

Is it just me Tim or can you watch the fuel guage going down in front of your eyes with the 1.6 petrol BX?

Andy
You can with a valver pulling a caravan!! :cry:
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.