Negative earth leads

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Mothman

Negative earth leads

Post by Mothman »

I need a neg earth lead if anyones got one going spare? Battery to gear box to body.
Hopefully in reasonable condition, the one on Gloria is shot.

Andy
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Re: Negative earth leads

Post by Vanny »

Make one, i wouldn't fit a second hand one no matter how good it looks.

Personally i have an array or cables and connectors from halfords because they came with the car, but i do find the 'Shark' branded battery terminal pretty good.

You can also get what you need from Pole Volt automotive supplies, or if you really have to, and can cope with poor customer service, then try Vehicle Wiring Products.
Vantman
BXpert

Post by Vantman »

I have used this company for cables,leads,etc. Virtually on my doorstep as well!

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/category/Ele ... hes,b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brian.
2003 Saab 9-3.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Vantman wrote:I have used this company for cables,leads,etc. Virtually on my doorstep as well!

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/category/Ele ... hes,b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brian.
i would not use the replacement terminals shown in that link as they rely on two screws biting into/through the cable core,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thank you all very much for your help here. Ile leave it to Malcolm as to what to do next but feel it would be a good idea to make one up myself.

Andy
Vantman
BXpert

Post by Vantman »

citronut wrote:
Vantman wrote:I have used this company for cables,leads,etc. Virtually on my doorstep as well!

Brian.
i would not use the replacement terminals shown in that link as they rely on two screws biting into/through the cable core,

regards malcolm
Yes,the seperate terminals are the two screw type but the made up leads are crimped both ends.
Brian.
2003 Saab 9-3.
Birotor
BXpert

Post by Birotor »

Re comment on Vehicle Wiring Products: I have had 15 years of marvelous service - what have you done to upset them!
1974 GS Birotor, 1972 GS 1220 FIA Gp 2, 1992 BX 16 TGS, 1951 Velo-Solex, 1953 NSU Max 250, 1972 Honda ST50, Daughter has 1990 BX14 TGE
Previously owned include 1983 BX14RE Leader, Porsche 924, 1972 Porsche 911T, 1973 Porsche Carrera RS 2.7 (FIA Group 4), 1974 Porsche Carrera RS 3.0 (FIA Group 4 ex Le Mans), 1969 911 T/R (FIA Group 3 ex Le Mans), 1981 Porsche Group B 3.3 litre World Endurance Championship, 1991 Footwork Arrows Porsche Formula 1 (ex Alboreto & Caffi),
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

citronut wrote:
Brian.

regards malcolm
Erm, i have replacement terminals that hold onto the wire with a single grub screw, and have never had any problems. I have however seen many failings where people have tried to crimp there own terminals!

You can always tin the ends of the leads to get a better grip!

As for VWP, i can only assume you've never called them, or simply haven't spoken to the miserable and unhelpful 'sales' rep that i have. When i'm putting in a £300 order i don't see any problem with clarification on a specific type of connector which was badly labelled in the catalogue, and I see no issue with asking for a lead time. Said sales rep seemed to think it wasn't worth dealing with me, was abrupt, didn't answer my two simple questions and eventually hung up on me.

Compared to Pole Volt, who has all the time in the world for even the most mundane questions, and will advise if he thinks something is missing from the order, on not required based on a description of the task, i know who i buy from! Infact the Pole Volt man has even contacted AMP/Tyco to try and source one of the stupid bloody connectors in the BX that no one sells, failed, but at least he tried!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Vanny wrote:
citronut wrote: i would not use the replacement terminals shown in that link as they rely on two screws biting into/through the cable core,

regards malcolm
Erm, i have replacement terminals that hold onto the wire with a single grub screw,

the starter will be trying to draw about 70A through a heavey cable with the terminal held on by 1 or two grub screws,

not very satisfactory IMO,

you can buy battery terminals that clamp onto the cable core which are a lot better

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I have foundthese type of battery terminals perfect for a quick and efficient fix for split BX battery post terminals as you can quicly cut off just the clamp bit leaving the intack soldered lug on the cable to bolt this new terminal over.
Here is a new one before fitting next to the old cut off lug from the one you can see fitted. I have some of these lugs available if anyone needs one.

You just have to file two little slots in the lug with a round file (red arrowed) to allow the bolts to clear as the lug is just ever so slightly too wide.

Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

:) That's a neat idea - I've previously just shortened the cable and used universal screw terminals. Not that it's ever given me any problems though.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

citronut wrote: the starter will be trying to draw about 70A through a heavy cable with the terminal held on by 1 or two grub screws,

not very satisfactory IMO,
Not sure i see what the problem is? With the grub screw your compressing the cores of the wire onto the surrounding, getting probably ~30% of the braids contacting the surrounding. With the clamp arrangement you're getting more like ~20% of the braids in contact. In terms of current transmission I'd have thought the screw type connector are much better. The clamps i use have individual holes for multiple connections too meaning your not trying to cram several wires into one fixing.

If it's mechanical load that concerns you then i guarantee i can swing my weight off the grub screw arrangement, and if there is that much load on the cable in car, then your engine has fallen out!

I agree that the clamp method is a good arrangement, but i don't see that the grub arrangement is in any way worse in this situation. Personally i find the clamps too be unsightly relics, and only really a quick bodge solution.