For Sale......1989 19RD Estate

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

For Sale......1989 19RD Estate

Post by Kitch »

Something I never thought I'd be doing on here, but as many will know I've recently recomissioned the estate (1989 19RD estate in silver) to the road. The thread for this can be found in the blog area.

To wind it all up without babbling on, I'm not really enjoying the car like I used to. I'm not sure what's changed; it could just be me. I like the car, but I can't help but know (deep inside) that I'd probably rather be in something sportier again, as I'm used to.

The reason this is a gathering interest thread, as opposed to an official for sale thread is because (aside from the fact I need to talk with Si who technically owns half the car) I wanted to see if there was anyone out there (like a Mike Simms, Mothman, Mat Fenwick.....people like you! :lol: ) who like the diesels as much as the more exotic stuff and properly understand and care for their cars, and might be interested in taking the estate on. If any BX deserved a rolling restoration, it's this one! I couldn't give it away, but it would be cheap for the right person.....cheaper than you'd pay on eBay or the likes. I'm looking to cover what I've put into it since dragging it out of the barn.

The important bits:

No rust underneath. Little bit to sort in the NSF inner arch and at the base of the C-pillars. Underneath it's amazingly rot-free.
Engine is peachy. In fact it's the smoothest running XUD I've ever heard. Can be slightly reluctant to start on cold mornings....I think there is air in the fuel somewhere.
Gearbox is good, although linkage needs tightening up and re-bushing. Clutch needs changing (Valeo unit supplied, along with a new cable) though now drives ok as I've modified the arm as a temporary measure. Could well last another year like this. Radiator leaking slightly, but not enough to cause an issue. A good s/h replacement is included
Suspension's good....all spheres are new (don't look it though). OSR arm bearing is starting to twang though. OSF lower arm has new bushes.
Exhaust good, but metal fuel pipes under car need renewing ideally. Suspension has been repiped though.
Bodywork is......well it's not timex, but if timex was a mk2 it might be timex :lol: It's not that bad, but it's not going to win any shows! Ideally I'd love it restored.

So, as I sit here thinking "am I really doing this" there we have it! If the right person for the most honest, reliable and straight-up BX diesel estate around is sat there BX-less, let me know!
Last edited by Kitch on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Re: G.I......The Estate

Post by Vanny »

Next you'll be trying to sell the valver!

The problem you have is an emotional attachment issue. I doubt you'll ever bring yourself to sell either BX, so the only solution is the scrap man IMHO. I don't envy your problem, and i'm glad that 50% of my cars i wouldn't miss for one second when its gone.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Vanny wrote:Next you'll be trying to sell the valver!

The problem you have is an emotional attachment issue. I doubt you'll ever bring yourself to sell either BX, so the only solution is the scrap man IMHO. I don't envy your problem, and i'm glad that 50% of my cars i wouldn't miss for one second when its gone.
Haha! No the valver stays :)

I do have an emotional attachment to it, yes. But I thought with so many other BXs getting taken on as projects recently (arguably ones worse than this one) that I might be able to do the right thing by it by moving it on just as I've put a years MOT on it.
I couldn't scrap it, no way!

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Wow....no one! :shock:

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

You may have to be patient with this one - Ian spent ages trying to sell both Timex and Green Tiger / Stripey but the both found homes eventually. The right owner for each car is out there, it just may take a while for them to find each other!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

If you just want rid then fleabay may be the way to go, shame though.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I couldnt take on another motor right now bud,

i will probably have to let my TGS estate go soon but ime sure someone will want it soon enough.

good luck.

andy
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Fair points. No point in eBaying it or anything like that, its more about finding the right home for it. I could just pull the tax off it and park it in the yard or something, but the thought will always be in my head that one day I'd have to get rid anyway.

As I say I'm pretty gutted. But its been 7 years since I last used it and something's changed since then. I think its me rather than the car though.

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

You could always modify it - valver estate anyone???
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I think it's a great car Rich and I'm sure you'll find a home for it ( if you really do sell it). Driving anything modern-ish leads to wrong comparisons and is fatal to the enjoyment of these. As you know, I run a 19RD Break as everyday transport and have a similar three kid set-up to you and it does admirably. I just dropped all claims to sportiness, accepted my lowly status in the land of bigger and brasher Mercs and Bimmers and there I go : economy and reliability with a unique style. My wife likes it too, which is half the battle, though she finds the silver driver's door with the rest of it being yellow, just a bit pikey!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:silver driver's door with the rest of it being yellow
You still haven't sorted that?! What have you been doing with your time? :wink:

Valver estate sounds right up my street...you need to drive it until the cambelt snaps then sell it to me with a 16v engine thrown in...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Gseg rebirth as an estate ?
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Mat wrote
You still haven't sorted that?! What have you been doing with your time?
gibbering and dribbling. Fatherhood really suits me :

I also vote for the 16v estate. So, that's decided then Rich. Seeing as you've got all that free time on your hands! :wink:
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Gseg rebirth as an estate ?
That's what I was thinking!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Kitch
Over 2k

Re: For Sale......1989 19RD Estate

Post by Kitch »

I'd love to make a 16v Estate out of it and G-SEG, but I haven't got anywhere close to the time needed. I've got projects for customers that aren't getting done, let alone my own!

Anyway, shit has changed and the Estate is officially looking for a new home. It's MOT'd for a year, and has 6 months tax in the window.
Showing 201,680 miles and like I said before, the engine is peachy (like pushing 75bhp peachy!), but the timing belt is due as far as years since it was last changed go. (belt supplied).
Gearbox is fine, though the linkage is pretty floppy. Still works fine though!
Clutch is tired....I've eaked out some more life by modifying the arm slightly, but really it needs a new one fitted (Valeo unit supplied along with new cable).
Suspension is good...I didn't wonder if it needed a new radius arm bearing, but the noise I had noticed has disappeared with use so it may have just been a lack of grease getting around. All spheres are soft and dandy. Struts are pretty good, but groan slightly at max height.
Bodywork isn't beautiful, but overall it's fairly straight. It needs various applications of TLC! Rock solid underneath though.....amazingly rust free undercarriage! A couple of areas need plating up top, but nothing horrific and nothing that failed the MOT.

It developed a fault today (I'm guessing air in the fuel lines) where if I left it to idle it would slowly cut out. It's fine under throttle, it's just when you back off.

Basically the car would be ideal for someone who wants a workhorse, is happy to do a bit of spannering and wants an honest car. I've owned it since 2004 and would be really happy to see it off to a better home than I can offer.

I only want £150 for it, or if you want me to leave the tax in it, £250. Seriously, that's all I want! I'd rather see it go to a good home than try and get more for it!