Wanted - WAXSTAT for choke on 1992 BX16 Auto, Solex carb.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
athena girl

Wanted - WAXSTAT for choke on 1992 BX16 Auto, Solex carb.

Post by athena girl »

I have got my super low mileage, beautiful pride and joy BX16 at my local independent, Shalford Green Garage, but they are struggling to get their hands on a WAXSTAT for me. Can any one help me out and get my care back on the road, love Athena Girl.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Re: Wanted - WAXSTAT for choke on 1992 BX16 Auto, Solex carb

Post by Paul296 »

Have sent you a PM re: a possible lead - good luck 8)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Is the carb a Z1 32-34? What is wrong with the original Waxstat? I found it was the diaghrams in the autochoke mechanism that were more of a problem, and be very careful because you can/will break one part of the mechanism which I have not found a replacement for if you try and change both diaghrams. You need to change the diaghram with the long metal L shape piece and leave the other. Also clean out the passageways in the black plastic housing which allow fuel through into the carburettor. You will find the original diaghram with the metal L shape will be stiff and hard and will not work properly - old age.
If you remove the Waxstat be careful, there is a lot of load on that spring. However if on removal the plunger does in fact move relatively freely it may actually be OK. The wax does deteriorate over time I have been told but I am more suspicious of the rubber diaghram and newer petrol additives.

I take it, you have an Athena, in which case all 3 taxed ones left OTR according to HowMany Left are Forum members.. Hurrah.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the first thing i would check is if the stat housing has closed up due to corrosion in the coolant through ways,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)