Wanted: Radiator switch

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
merlyn
BXpert

Wanted: Radiator switch

Post by merlyn »

Although my BX passed its MOT with very little to be done, I have been advised that I need a radiator switch ASAP as mine no longer works.
I don't know if they are model specific but if they are I need one for a Txi petrol auto. If anyone can help me out I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, Jane
1992 BX 1.6 TXi automatic Bleu Sirene
(now sadly gone)

1999 Xantia 1.8 SX automatic Gris Quartz
David
BXpert

Re: Wanted: Radiator switch

Post by David »

Hi, Which radiator switch is it? The one that controls the fan or the one that turns the low water level light on?

If its the former your best looking for a new one as they tend to break with age.
If its the latter then why has it failed? as these are normally very reliable & normally any trouble is corrosion on the contacts.

I don't think ether switch is model specific.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

I'm not sure which one it is, didn't realise that there was more than one. I'll ask at the garage, I think that it will be the one that controls the fan from what they said at the garage but they seemed to think that it would be a real struggle to find a new one which is why I'm asking on here.
(now sadly gone)

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the usual one that shows up at the MOT is the fan switch, as they normally have the engine running with the car stationary for a period of time, which if the fan is not kicking in the cooling system will over heat,
then the tester usually ends up with hot coolant dripping on there head :shock: :roll: #-o :wink:

quite often it can be sorted by just cleaning the terminals on the fan switch/sender

here is price and part No.'s from citroen for the level sensor and fan switch

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000130647 LEVEL DETECTOR 11.33 GBP 13.60 GBP 13.60 GBP

0000126417 TEMPERAT SWITCH 27.54 GBP 33.05 GBP 33.05 GBP

you can either do a goooogly search with thise No.'s or aim them at the likes of GSF, ignore the zeros at the beginning of each part No.,

here is one goooogly result

http://www.niparts.com/OEM/C3C188/CITROEN/126417.html

they still show as available from citroen

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

Thanks for that.
(now sadly gone)

Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

The radiator temperature switch almost never fails. Its the connections to it which play up and need cleaning and remaking. I do have a new switch though if you want one at a non stealer price.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

Jaba wrote:The radiator temperature switch almost never fails. Its the connections to it which play up and need cleaning and remaking. I do have a new switch though if you want one at a non stealer price.
I'll speak to the guys at the garage and see if they can do it by doing the connections. If they insist that I need a new switch I will be in touch. Thanks.
(now sadly gone)

Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Also plenty on feebay but at a price.

Andy
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Jaba wrote:The radiator temperature switch almost never fails. Its the connections to it which play up and need cleaning and remaking. I do have a new switch though if you want one at a non stealer price.
Well maybe, but I have had two switches fail NOT the wiring or connections. The killer was the one with seized fan, blown fuse, and switch, engine was OK and warning lights worked fine. The easy test is short the switch with a loop of wire with a couple of spade ends. I have one made for this very purpose....

Not sure if related but no problems with old 1.4 (150C), both failures with 171 B2C 1.6 units.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tinkley wrote:
Well maybe, but I have had two switches fail NOT the wiring or connections.
yes i agree the switch's can an do fail
Tinkley wrote:
short the switch
me thinks this should be short the plug terminals, not the switch #-o :roll: :wink: :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Oops, thanks Malcolm, exactly that. There are three spade females in the connector and the 'loop' (test wire) with 2 male ends needs to bypass the switch (temperature thermostat) and make the circuit. Dead easy to test as when you have the circuit 'live' the fan starts when you turn the ignition switch to initial 'live' position ie warning lights on, visible on dash. If you don't get it to work with one set of possibles at the three way connector, just try the other positions - just make sure you turn the ignition off first!. Unless the circuit is itself dead, one combination will work. If I remember right, one terminal position is a no brainer from the connections but the other is harder to work out, but an either or jobbie.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

also mind what you short the pins with, if the likes of locking wire, this can glow like an electric heater element, and yoou will burn your fingers :oops: :roll: :shock: :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

You can just cut the 3pin plug off and replace with 3 6mm insulated terminals, the plug terminals were very corroded on my tzd causing no cooling fan due to no rubber boot, simple job take 5 mins gives you a chance to clean the pins on the switch too.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability