Gti 8v starter motor problem

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Gti 8v starter motor problem

Post by rutter123 »

Just of late the starter motor has started to occasionally make a hell of a noise but not turn the engine 2nd try is usually ok, makes a horrible grating noise and the rev needle goes to max, im guessing its days are numbered, is this starter the same fitment as any other i.e 1600/1900 petrol models, peugeot? Or is it specific to gti's?

I have a new diesel starter motor here on the shelf but im guessing that would be quite different gearing/teeth from a petrol? Although almost identical from the outside.

Or could this be a simple fix?
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
citronut
Over 2k

Re: Gti 8v starter motor problem

Post by citronut »

not sure on the difference in the gearing if any ( i dont think there is ), but the diesel starter has a gear box built in for extra torque,

if your is miss meshing sometimes this is usually the solenoid not thowing the starter gear in firm enough

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
David
BXpert

Re: Gti 8v starter motor problem

Post by David »

The starter motor off a diesel will physically screw on to the gearbox & the teeth are the same for the flywheel, But I don't know anything would be in the way on a GTi engine for it to fit.

Personally I would first remove & internally clean your existing starter, usually dirt causes them to stop working properly.

If that fails, then you could try using your diesel starter or getting another GTi starter for it.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).