Pricing up repair after attempted theft

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Pricing up repair after attempted theft

Post by maxgreenwood »

My BX16TXS was broken into the weekend before last - Attempted Theft - Back window smashed, attempted start by cutting ignition cables. Unfortunately they treated it incredibly roughly and ripped the whole dash binnacle out, steering cowling, stalks, and the barrel was stiff afterwards - key not turning all the way etc.. A right mess. It doesn't feel good, i liked the car and I am nervous about what problems may lurk if i choose to put it back together.

Anyway, my insurance company have a garage examining it. I told them i may be able to source second hand parts for repair, otherwise it will probably be a write-off which is where the BX community comes in..

The garage informs me I am looking for: (In Black)
1.A dash pod binnacle complete.
2.Steering cowling, indicator and headlight stalks, and associated screws.
3.Ignition barrel or at least the wiring loom if i can repair this one to retain the original key with central locking etc.
4.A rear door (offside/drivers side) quarter panel window - the small trapezoid shape one.

They said something about the steering column being twisted - is this even possible?!
The car had been moved a bit by hand.

So if anyone has this stuff, message me and let me know how much you would like for it with postage to Dublin to enable me to price it up. Any general advice or thoughts also appreciated.
Many thanks,
Max
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Pricing up repair after attempted theft

Post by rutter123 »

Bastards!!! I should think these parts will be fairly easily obtainable from somebody on this forum, try Barry at Bourne Citroen (Lincs).your steering column may well be twisted if they have tried to force the steering lock.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

If parts are coming from a few suppliers/members it may save significant postage costs if you can persuade one of them to take delivery of all and arrange a consolidated shipment to Ireland.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Bad luck Max, I think it's partly because these cars can be opened with a screwdriver jammed in the door lock!.

The rear screens are available - the AA can supply in the UK green or clear NOT bronze. When the b'stards attempted to nick my 14 they bent the steering outer column. The plated part that is bolted to the bulkhead, trouble was I did not find out until after replacing the ignition barrel and wiring, I was driving down the road and nearly did not make the first corner - it was SO stiff. If you can replace (best option) or at least bend straight make sure you check the steering before you drive it. I got away with bending back and re aligning it, as well as ensuring the lower rubber bush was pretty central and in place. It was quite a nasty shock to find oneself nearly unable to steer.... :wink:

Chevronics have a s/h ignition barrel and wiring, maybe they would split it.

Give them a ring or e-mail as they may have some of the other parts too. There should be the odd scrapper around with black interior trim. If the quarter light is acrylic or polycarbonate it may be possible a plastic sheet stockholder could cut the part. Depends if it has many lugs or hook parts. However these plastics are glueable and you can fabricate stuff pretty neatly with it and reasnable strength too. The 'smokey' colour is probably a standard tint, at least in acrylic, though I know from designing stuff it may be a factory option tint not generally available to the general public.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I think the window is available new on ebay? I have a dash binnacle you are welcome too, its from a diesel though.

Barry at Bourne has loads of BXs being broken so can probably help.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Thanks everyone for your kind offers and advice. It looks like the insurance company will give me some money to fix it up myself, so i may be in contact for some of those bits - (Tim that would be great thanks - my dials are still in place, so i think i can just replace the surround, stalks and steering column cowling).

I am however, worried about the bulk head being damaged or the extent of the damage to the column. I really don't want a can of worms revealing itself. It is going to be a lot of time to sort it out, which i'm not sure i have.

I've told them i'd repair it, but they have offered a sum comparable to the going rate for good Bxs for sale in the UK at the moment to write it off. It's a difficult call. What do you guys think?
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

It's a tough one, it's not a rare or desirable model but a tidy low miler abs of course all bxs are rare now, could you swop the engine/box into the TZS? They are very rare indeed now.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

The TZS has gone now Tim, this one is not that tidy- two big holes in the boot need welding with new metal, it has other wheel arch rust will need attention and sunroof is seized (cables out before my time) but pretty solid apart from that, although havnt looked that deep behind bumpers etc. drives great (or did)

I also need to reregister as Irish (€720 minimum! Might be able to present a case for 3-400 based on value and condition) otherwise the Revenue will seize it (already fined me €200) so as you can see a write off would be an easy way out of that and enable me to get something else, but I don't like scrapping cars for no need, especially when rare and fun to drive, which is why I'm considering repairing it. But lack of spare time to organise this is against me.
Merlin
My Cars: Citroen Xsara series 1 Automatic 1.6 sx ( try find another I can[t)
Citroen BX TZD Automatic ( dropping to bits Back bumper split Inner wings with a patch)
Citroen ZX 1.9 Automatic quite solid but slow old thing (Something to do with accelerator pedal set I think)
Citroen Bijou (Yellow peril say no more)

Re: Repairs after attempted theft or indeed crashes

Post by Merlin »

As someone looking at straightening out a crashed BX it is a bit of a considered decision to repair an ordinary non-desirable model. I wonder if anyone can list BX models in order of desirability /rarity. This might help some of us either to keep our BX's running or donate them to keep the desirables on the road. P.S. Hope Tim still has my bits will contact him just after Christmas once the Citroen Gasser stops popping.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Just how common are 1.6 Bx now? I don't see a lot coming up for sale, or even scrapping... My money is on the diesels being more common, 1.9 n/a and the turbo versions. After that the 16vs' and 1.9 GTis' then the more 'common' models 1.6 and 1.4 petrols, but hold on, these were/are pretty decent cars. Hell, even the Citroen Cactus has drum rear brakes - does it have self levelling suspension and automatic brake adjustment?
No, and nor does the C4 even if it may call your mobile to tell you of a fault... :lol:

So do not be beaten into a position of writing off the car unless you can buy it back and fix it. BTW the bulkhead is less likely to be damaged than teh steering column 'shroud' which is fixable. My 14 steering was fine after I spent some time re aligning everything - bar of course them cooking the leaded only engine h/gasket...

Personally I quite like the 1.6 XU engines, they have foibles but are not bad units and feel tractable on the road in real world use with reasonable economy IF kept up to the mark tune wise, ie plugs/dizzy caps/carb clean etc. Gearing is good, the BX is not too heavy up front (not as good as ZX/306) for handling but predictable.

Try and save her one way or another Max, and good luck with her. Over here in the UK you can repair 'non structural' areas (ie boot side holes) not considered critical for crash scenarios with other materials. My own preference is structural epoxy and glass/carbon (do not put carbon directly on steel) as it is as stiff (probably fand stronger - I could do the calcs) but is inert to corossion. Then sand and paint with 2k epoxy and 2k acrylic/polyurethane. Good as or better than you could ever need. Check out boat building methods, if you need to know more.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I've still got the parts Merlin.