Wanted - dashboard black plastic trim closest to the windscreen

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Adrian E
BXpert

Wanted - dashboard black plastic trim closest to the windscreen

Post by Adrian E »

Hi all

Haven't been on here in years! Had a look at our p1 16V last weekend, which although getting an MOT every year hasn't really been used much (it's done less than 5k miles in 10 years! The most recent MOT was a mile after the one a year before)

It needed a few bits for the MOT (steering rack gaitors and a rear wheel bearing) and that's all sorted. It wouldn't start at the weekend, which I suspect is the fuel pump but waiting for the garage to look at it (my tools were 150 miles away and the suspension is on the floor)

I noticed the plastic trim closest to the windscreen has a full width crack running front to back, behind the dash cluster and about 6" in from the A pillar. It feels like it might be a seperate part to the dash, but didn't try too hard to pull it up in case I made it worse. If they are, does anyone have a mint spare? Clearly it's not postable as it'd be smashed to a million bits, so somewhere in the South of the country would be ideal.

Cheers

Adrian
1988 Citroen BX GTI 16V p1
2002 Audi S8 4.2
2011 Audi S5 Sportback
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Wanted - dashboard black plastic trim closest to the windscreen

Post by rutter123 »

I think you will find most if not all demist panels are cracked in one way or another, i have a spare one on the breaker but that too is cracked, good luck finding one that isn't split. I think sun damage after 20 odd years or more makes them very brittle.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Adrian E
BXpert

Post by Adrian E »

It's a weird one as it's been garaged the vast majority of its life - it's a clean break so worst case I may be able to glue it back together...
1988 Citroen BX GTI 16V p1
2002 Audi S8 4.2
2011 Audi S5 Sportback
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I was driving my mates Mreg TZD estate at the weekend, I noticed that too now has the same crack although this one is just left of centre. It's been years since I took a dashboard out of a BX but from memory the part we're talking about is sort of plastic spot welded to the main dash. Would be possible to get apart, but would need sticking back together with sikaflex or the likes.
They think it's all over, it is now!