1973 citroen GS 1220 club spares/repair FREE!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
ren16tx
This weeks BX legend
This weeks BX legend

1973 citroen GS 1220 club spares/repair FREE!

Post by ren16tx »

Citroen GS, 1973/M reg, been standing 5 years,and needed welding then! not run since,
proberly too far gone,unless you can do it yourself,or are rich! but good for parts,
car in the reddings, cheltenham,
car must be removed within the next week or so, or it will be scrapped!
contact me for further details
simcauk@yahoo.co.uk
chris :cry:
GSA X1,GSA estate, GSA PALLAS C-matic,Simca 1100,Renault 16TX auto, yellow Visa super E, wanted mk1 bx!
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

I'll do my damndest to get this...I'll get a quote for how much recovery will cost and get back to you our trucks never been out that far!!!
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
ren16tx
This weeks BX legend
This weeks BX legend

Post by ren16tx »

BCXM wrote:I'll do my damndest to get this...I'll get a quote for how much recovery will cost and get back to you our trucks never been out that far!!!
i can get the GS back to Farnborough for £150,
c
GSA X1,GSA estate, GSA PALLAS C-matic,Simca 1100,Renault 16TX auto, yellow Visa super E, wanted mk1 bx!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Wouldnt it work out cheaper to buy a 2nd hand trailer & then sell it once you have finished??
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Thank goodness I'm one over my permitted car limit already! Good luck guys. I hope it gets saved or recycled.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Here are some pictures that Chris sent me, taken by a local CCC member a few days ago:

:(

Really needs saving... Apart from door bottoms, the panels look decent, although doors had dents in them. Underneath is where the welding's required. It drove nice and smoothly 3-4 years ago, and the ride (at the time) put my GSA to shame.....

There really are not many of these early Series 1 GS's left.

Mark.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That's not too bad. I would've expected lots more visble rot. Way beyond most to do up, but that doesn't make it not worth saving. There must be someone with the space and skills to take it on.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Shame.

Really doesn't look too bad. Superficially it's a mess, but looking closer I've driven worse as a daily driver!

Space? Yes.
Skills? Yes.
Time? Not a chance.
this might be a signature
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

me 2!
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

Don't undersestimate just how much work a G needs to put back on the road. Even the rear spheres and onboard disc brakes are tricky to do.. The Semi Auto I had was beautiful to look at but had no floor. I think Chris spent over a grand on doing just that..So unless you are able to do it yourself it's really not worth doing.

I can't take it away anyway i've put my name down to too many cars. I have a GS now let someone else try and make something of it.
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I would love that but thats way beyond my skills sadly!
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

That's a set of MK1 trim to tidy up a later car and lots of rare spares. Break the bodyshell up in handfuls and recycle the parts. If you want a GS, www.gs-gsa.org is the place to go.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Chris and I are still in a dilemma. We were surprised by the photos, if truth be told, thinking it would be full of holes by now after 4 years or so.

Me'thinks an urgent rescue may be on the cards... We can't break it for bits (or store it for later restoration) without collecting it and bringing it back to Surrey. If Chris doesn't arrange collection, by the end of the weekend probably, the guy who's farm it's sitting at will arrange for it to be taken to a scrapyard where it will no doubt be crushed IN TOTO.

The thing is, it's 150 quid just to get it back here. I wonder if anyone on here, local-ish to Cheltenham, with some free time and a trailer/recovery truck, might be able to offer some help? - should Chris and I decide we're not letting it go... :-k :| :(

It's a toughie, it really is. As I understand it, there are only around FIVE 1971-73 UK model year GS's left on the CCC GS/A register.

Thus the sad scenario is that even if it was broken for spares.... all the other early GS's in the UK have all the bits they need anyway, and we won't be able to shift any of it.

I wish the GS section would show the same enthusiasm for cars like this, that members of this forum show for Mk1 BXs! In fact there's been more interest shown in this car on this website from BX owners! There's been absolutely no interest on the GS/A yahoo forum, and I'm about to post a last-ditch plea on the CCC website itself. The market for GS/As is sadly still in "survival of the fittest" mode. The best cars now command a >£1000 price tag, whereas cars that need work often can't even be given away. People want cars that need minimum effort - understandably... as it's very expensive to restore a GS to a good standard, unless you have the time and expertise to carry the work out yourself. The "GS restorers" are few and far between in the UK - in comparison with some of the "crazy" ground up restorations (even of GSAs) that I have seen and read about in the Netherlands GS club.

Here's a bit more of the story behind this car.

It used to be owned by an elderly chap called Michael Jorro, who had a farm and a barn, containing 4 GS's, a GSA, a mk1 CX estate, and a myriad of spare parts, engines, wheels, you name it. He was forced to have a clear out, thus all the cars had to go, and he invited all and sundry to come and help themselves to anything they wanted. I paid £50 to save this white GS... another club member saved a similar green one, which has subsequently been restored, and yet another took on his red GSX2 which is "work-in-progress". A rare GS Basalte shell had to be scrapped sadly, along with a GSA Special and the CX, after it had been stripped (T reg, rotten as hell).

We agreed with his friend, who owned a farm not far away, and had carried out lots of repair work on these cars over the years, that we would drive the white GS over to his, and he would carry out some under-floor repairs. To which end, Chris later sent him £350........ Time passed, we didn't hear anything from him.... The car was by now registered on SORN in my name - so I had the V5 and kept getting DVLA renewal reminders.... More time passed..... We couldn't get in contact because at some point we mislaid the guy's address and tel no....... But we got no contact from him either! Neither of us had the time to enquire among local members, or go and try and find the place once more.

Then recently, his wife contacted us out of the blue! Told us he'd been ill for a long time with back trouble and hadn't been able to work on the car. That it needed moving shortly if at all possible, or it would be taken away and scrapped.

All in all, a very sorry affair. I wish the car had never gone to him and that I'd been in a position to trailer it back to Surrey there and then. At that time I was still living at home - so another "old banger" on the family drive, when I had the "rolling-resto" GSA there already equalled "Not A Chance In Hell!"

Anyway, there we go. Having saved it once from the scrapyard, that same fate is now looming once more.

Regards,

Mark.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Mark, do the Webbs know about this car? I know they've already got a G, but they also have space and enthusiasm...
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Thanks Stu. I have an idea that they are registered on the CCC website, so I've posted a link to this thread on the GS forum there!

Cheers,

Mark.