Subframe

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
tim leech

Subframe

Post by tim leech »

Cars up on the ramp having the driveshaft changed and the various rusty holes welded up, I notcid that the subrame where it bolts to the body is completely shot and has a hole in it. :cry: Poking about worries me on how much rust there is on this seemingly tidy car.

Are they specific to the 16v, and has anyone got on that isnt rotten or been welded up.

Thanks
Last edited by tim leech on Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

I have a complete subframe off a 16v which I was keeping to one side just for such an occasion if thats any good
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

What condition is it in Leroy and how much is it, Mymechanic mate is welding a plate on this one for today but I will need to replace it ready for the MOT.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

All Mk2 subframes are the same Tim (although obviousley the anti-roll bars are different depending on what spec car they are fitted to), and it's not uncommon for them to rot there. I'm somewhat amazed your car passed an MOT recentley though frankley.

On the plus side, changing the front subframe is not too bad a job, if I were you I'd rip Leroy's arm off, get his subframe and spend a day getting oily!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

my mk I 19RD subframe was as bad if not worse than yours Tim thats why I made sure that I got one off when I got a spares car. The subframe still has the drop links etc attached so is ready to bang straight on and as the Doc says its not as hard a job as you may think...

£50 but I can't post it though you could send a courier down? Or collect yourself for the same price i'm sure.
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks mate i will have it but wont be able to get down to fetch it until the end of the month due to work and money constraints.

I take it the engne doesn t have to come out to replace it, it wont be thats changing it wither as its beyond my capabilities, how many hours are we thinking baeraing in mind we do have a 4 poster ramp.
Last edited by tim leech on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Na, the engine can stay where it is! It's pretty straightforward.

Shant go into massive detail here since it's the wrong bit of the forum, but basically, pull the driveshafts, undo the bottom ball joints, unclip the pipework at the rear of the subframe, undo the and remove the two cover brackets that go over the strut return pipes at either end of the subframe, undo and remove the bottom engine mount, undo the hardy spicer joint onthe steering, undo the bolt that locates the gear linkages to the steering rack, remove the height corrector control rod and pipes, the HP pipes that run across the bottom of the bell housing will need unclipping from the front of the subframe and a few other bits that will be fairly easy to see and drop the subframe out complete with rack etc.

Build up the other subframe on the floor, and fit it all up.

One man could do it in a day, but if you aint done it before, allow yourself a weekend, and as usual, take all the safety precautions when working under a car..

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

Doc you da man...

Tim no problems mate end of the month suits me as i'm on holiday for most of this month anyhows...
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

BCXM wrote:my mk I 19RD subframe was as bad if not worse than yours
Bearing in mind that MK1 and MK2 front subframes are fairly different...
this might be a signature
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Cheers Leroy, btw you dont want to buy a lovely Athena do u lol!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I have just scrapped one of them as nobody wanted it. :oops:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
BCXM
BXpert

Post by BCXM »

@ David

yes they are different but you can put a MK II subframe on a Mark I. My mechanic put a MKII subframe and retro fitted power steering on my 19RD...

I do like that 16 mate as it happens...only problem is if you drive the 16 down how would you take the subframe back up?
2003 Peugeot 307 Estate
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

BCXM wrote:.only problem is if you drive the 16 down how would you take the subframe back up?
Er, train? Bus? Push bike?.......hhmm, maybe not!

Yeah Mk1 and 2 subframes are interchangable, the main difference is the Mk1 had bearings for the wishbones, and the Mk2 had bushes.

Back in the dim and distant when BXs where plentiful and still worth money, a fair few Mk1's got converted to Mk2 subframes after rot crept in..

docchevron

Post by docchevron »

hang on, I've had an idea!

If you strap an engine to the subframe, and a pair of wheels, Tim could drive it home!!! :lol:

(Yep, I've been on the sauce again :oops: )

stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

All bcxm needs to supply is the engine - I've got a set of wheels belonging to Tim in my shed a couple of miles away from bcxm :)