Digit For Free. *Thread resurrected again. Page 7 this time

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Alcyone

Post by Alcyone »

Over here we consider a BX in that condition a total loss. Since a GT has the same chassisnumber prefix (XBXG) as a Digit, we would really consider buying a GT and converting it.

Imagine, repairing the rust damage under the windscreenfluid-reservoir, will involve removal of the entire dash!

Rust at the mounting of the subframe, holes in the floor, the entire rear-quarter that has to be replaced... I'd bet money that the front subframe itself is made of cardboard nowadays, the rear subframe must be in a bad shape too. Remember, the subs were the weakest spot on the Mk I's.

Surely, anything can be replaced or repaired given enough money, but isn't it the soul of the car that counts? It's bigger than the sum of it's parts IMHO. Replacing the monocoque is no big deal at all.
Amsterdam Radar: "UK747 stop climb flight level 210 for noise abatement"
UK Pilot: "Confirm stop climb FL210 for *noise*?"
AMS Radar: " Yesh Shir there is an aircraft above and you'll make a big noish when you hit"
wtr

Post by wtr »

let's post a picture of your former digit Alex;

but, as you were saying; a rhd digit is very rare. I would buy another LHD digit and build the rhd stuff in it.
The paperwork wil stil mention the car as a digit.
XBXG

Post by XBXG »

Oh dear, what a pitty to see this Digit with all this rust. :roll:

I've had 3 of them, of which 2 for daily use, but I have never so much rust on a BX.
BX 14 - Bleu Olympe - 1989
ex: 2CV ('79) | Dyane ('81) | GS ('79) | AX ('95) | 15 x BX
autofan

Post by autofan »

Welcome XBXG! :wink:
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

*Thread exhumed*

... Yet again.

It's another three years on, and how much has happened to the Digit? Well, I'm fairly sure it's rusted a bit more, and it hasn't been run in over a year, but other than that, nothing.

Which is a bit of a bummer actually, as I am now looking to have to move house, so the Digit is either going to have to be found some storage, or needs to be moved on, be it either as a project, or all the Digit-specific bits being salvaged and the rest weighed in.

... and there's no alternative this time. I've lost all my free driveway storage, and am having to clear out a lot.

Suggestions welcome.
this might be a signature
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Hi David,if you remember i enquired before about her.
Pm sent.
Richard.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

To be honest, with the way the last 12 months has gone, I remember very little about any goings-on on this or any other forum.

Are you planning a restoration? If so, read this and the linked threads carefully. This car is in need of serious work.

I would be able to assist with transport, as I have use of a car-transporter trailer as necessary.
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

I have a silver mk1 at the moment needing major surgery to mainly all body panels but shell isnt that bad. My idea is to rebuild the Digit around my shell if that make sense. My car is also the same age C reg.
Richard.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Between that car and the Digit, there's probably a whole vehicle in there somewhere.

Same colour too I believe.
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

The only panel undamaged is the bonnet ,engine runs but i think its head gasket has gone but the shell isnt bad.My thinking was that 2 silver mk1,s both needing alot would make 1 good one and that must be the Digit.
Richard.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Hello David, long time no post. I hope everything's alright after your eventful year.
I think that the Digit is perhaps a donor vehicle now or a real work of passion if someone were to restore it.
Hopefully it finds a good home and a mobile future in some form.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Fingers crossed that between David and Richard this Digit can be saved.
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

A restored Digit has got to be worth a fair bit in a few years, if not now. Very rare. But i'm not that mad. Yet. If i had time and mechanical abilities I would consider it. I'm happy with my old school carb petrol for now. I hope it finds it's second lease of life.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I would say time would be the largest compenent required to Save The Digit. After you'd finished doing that Max you'd be a qualified mechanic.

A mechanic here said to me that my yellow break was 'my teacher' and 4 years later I understand what he means. Learning by doing I suppose, step by step. Electrics remain quite a big grey area as do gear boxes!

There was a minter Digit sold here three years ago - €1500 with a year's warranty!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

€1500 sounds a reasonable european price for a rare beast.

My TZD was a bit of a teacher, and was a good one i now realise, i didn't ask anywhere near what i could have for it either.

However things are looking up - fingers crossed i will exchange my XM for some pictures of the queen i was going to say. But then i remembered i'm now in the eurozone - pictures of non-descript buildings - on Friday. The buyer has viewed and we have settled on a price, which hopefully will provide some funds for work on a new BX or two.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon