Desperately trying to preserve a 16v and not break it!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
spike

Desperately trying to preserve a 16v and not break it!

Post by spike »

Hi there. I've just joined in order to save my poor 16v that bust the cambelt back on 22 march. Jayboy posted it for me, priced at £700 but by 17 April it was for breaking at £400. I did get a load of flack from you lot figuring I didn't look after it, but I reckon I spent over £5k in 7 years, & got replaced all of the bits that need it most. Since I am not a mechanic, I could at least chuck all the money it needed at it and stay poor! I have been through receipts and the cambelt was changed at 94.3k (before I bought it), then 100.4k, then 104.7k, then 132k before it bust at 150.2k. The maths shows 3 belts in 56k – proof of my looking after it despite not being a car mechanic!
Anyway, I want to get it to an enthusiast WHOLE and I have been disappointed by the response – but I do have a number of breakers ready to start on it for the engine, for wheels and various bits, for the aircon and spots, and possibly for all the interior. I shall hold on to the bumpers and anything else that is of value for as long as I can. See it on Autotrader or ring me ASAP on 07940 878592 / 01202 827771/ adam@adamdesign.biz PLEASE![http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z90/ ... 6vpic1.jpg][/img]
Last edited by spike on Fri May 04, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I am not aware of this case, however, from reading this it souns as though you have taken care of it. If the cambelt is still broken then £200-£350 is about right if its in good to excellent condition. If its in below average condition, you should be looking to give it away. Sure, you may get a fair amount for parts, but unless you dismantle it yourself, your looking at the scrap weigh in value of £50. Id say you'd be better off giving it to someone who wil save it as its a rare car, maybe for the scrap value of £50 if thats all you can get, as its the BX friendly option. Good luck getting it saved. By the way I ant find it on Autotrader....
spike

Quote for renovating the engine - £800-£1500!

Post by spike »

Hi there – appreciate the quick response! I was quoted between £800-£1500 for the repair, then some new tyres for the imminent mot and I just couldn't afford all that! Of course, if you know what you are doing then your estimate + some of your time is probably right, and the car is in good nick and has had a lot done to it. Anyway, I had to get a reliable car asap since I'm doing job interviews around the country etc, and I have now got a new car, so a renovation project is not for me to deal with anymore in terms of time and money.

Sure, I DO have interest in breaking the car and I can make money out of it, but the point is to try and conserve the car and the marque. However, it seems though I am flogging a dead horse really, and I'm going to have to break it, – I seem to have no option due to the prevailing lack of interest. I am still open to offers but they are going to have to be quick to keep it in 1 piece! Thanks again for responding!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Spike. Sorry to hear the response wasn't good in your view. I think we are, collectively, a bit cynical when it comes to values, but with yours as it's a rarity it is a difficult conundrum. I hope you are able to find a happy balance between the reality of disposing of it while recouping some of the costs incurred during your time as owner... It does sound like it just needs a competent BX fan to bring it back to life!

Calling the Doc, Leroy, etc.!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Oh, and it looks far too good to break in the picture you linked to. Nice in silver...

C'mon someone - it's got A/C too. 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

What sort of money would you realistically let this car go for, Spike? I have to be honest, I think the reason you've had problems is you've been asking more than the car is worth.

A broken 16v is worth less than broken 16v spares, because no one wants the whole car. I saved one last year, and jointly saved another with Carl (csg100) and I may be interested, but most of my money is tied up right now. I could save the car, but I doubt I could give you much for it now.

PM me if you're interested.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
spike

Chuffed at getting a very quick reaction from readers!

Post by spike »

Hi everybody! I am very impressed at the quick response to the forum and it makes me feel that it was worth registering! It was a guestimate to price it at £400 as a job lot but then I know that a rear bumper cost in excess of £700 cos I had to buy one! Front bumper probably the same etc, but I take your point about carting it away, storage etc.

The response ref breaking has been an offer of £150 for the engine (complete) for a conversion, and interest in the rest would be about the same again. So, to preserve the car, with receipts, aerolift wind deflector (boxed, unused), Pleiades hydraulic pipe emergency kit (boxed), spare bulbs, CCC mags, Millers VSP, pulley belt, touch up paint etc - take away for £200 cash, FINAL PRICE. But you need to ring me NOW and book a time to collect since I have to put off breakers eg Brian King!

I do hope that someone can manage this – it really may be the last chance to salvage her. Give me a ring on 01202 827771 or 07940 878592 and I'll tell you more! Cheers for your support and sympathy!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't suppose you're local by chance? I'm in Hampshire.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
spike

In Dorset but just over the border!

Post by spike »

I'm in Verwood, just North of Ringwood so I can't be too far away from you!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Sounds like a save is on the cards?
spike

Hope so!

Post by spike »

Hi there! It would be nice to keep it whole – I just have to be realistic that I need to keep everything moving on – this is the best time for me to get it sorted. If I don't get any luck preserving it after a week or so then I'll have to break it – I certainly can see there might be interest from various parties, so it will at least do some good.

It's certainly been heartening to hear from genuine enthusiasts – I just wish that I was a mechanic and could save her myself!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Adam, did we once meet at a CCC rally in London a few years back. :?:
spike

Hi Ken!

Post by spike »

Hi Ken! We may have done I'not sure, but I knew your name through David Woollard who used to run the BX section at CCC. When I joined the CCC near the start of my 16v ownership I was trying to get a handle on the various maintenance issues and David did mention you to me!
spike

Hi everyone!

Post by spike »

Just to say that the old ad in Autotrader must have run out and I didn't get a renewal notice as I did for the last renewal! But I have just placed another web ad for 2 weeks with 9 pics on it – it may take a little time to go live so be patient.

If anyone wants extra pics (eg engine, interior etc) sent to their personal email address, then just send me a 'pm' with your personal contact details and I'll get back to you straight away.

Thanks for all your help and encouragement – by the way, Brian King is having the wind deflector!

Cheers

Spike
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yeah I think we met. I can't believe you are considering breaking your car, I know circumstances can sometimes over rule our passions. But it seems tragic that a car like yours that has had so much love and money lavished upon it could now be broken.
I know, they all have to go sometime! but not before their time.

The 16v I bought some bits off and Shaune bought the shell a few weeks ago wasn't too bad and was saveable, but no where near as nice as yours.

Stick it out, keep the car in one piece, the right person will come along. [-o<