Wanted: BX without a sunroof.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
mr shifter

Post by mr shifter »

why dont you just open the sunroof and drive with your head sticking out!!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

:D
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Alas, I'm really not interested in a petrol model. The mileage I do is quite high, so every MPG counts. Plus I much prefer the torque delivery of a diesel, have done for years.

As it is, I have to drive with the sunroof blind open, but I still contact the headlining at the back corner of the opening. To have your hair brush on the roof of a vehicle is surprisingly irritating.

I may look into lowering the seat, but I can't imagine that will be easy.
this might be a signature
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Wind back the seat backrest?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

This reminds me of when I had a VW Scirrocco GTi with a metal sliding roof - I found I shrank during the day - and always had to recline the seat in the morning just beyond what I felt was comfortable (it was a heavy little brute to steer) and could raise it back in the evening!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

tim leech wrote:Wind back the seat backrest?
Not being funny, but do you honestly think I haven't tried that?...... and every other combination of seat back/base position!

My comfortable driving position is massively reclined anyway (better hope any passenger behind me doesn't want any legroom) with fairly straight arms. If I wind the seat backrest back any further, I won't reach the steering wheel!

To be honest, a BX is one of the smallest cars I've ever owned for an extended period of time, (Except the X1/9, but that's a very odd shape car) and I'm wondering if I don't just need a car with a larger driving space.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Was only a suggestion! :roll:
M

Post by M »

DavidRutherford wrote: To be honest, a BX is one of the smallest cars I've ever owned for an extended period of time, and I'm wondering if I don't just need a car with a larger driving space.
You want to try 6 months in a MiniMetro matey - the BX is a luxury cruise liner with hoooooooge seats by comparason. Removal of some of the foam (no more than half an inch) in the seat squab will give you increased head room - but you may find the seat lacking confort after this excersise.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I know Doc wont like this but have you tried a Xantia? theres a load more cabin space in them and the drivers seat is height adjustable, and at the moment there so cheap.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

tim leech wrote:Was only a suggestion! :roll:
Please engage brain before operating keyboard :wink: :D :D :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

:D Well who knows some people do drive aroudn with there heads right against the screen! (ok mostly women)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Marty wrote:You want to try 6 months in a MiniMetro matey
No, thanks, if it's all the same!

I've driven numerous metros before now (with the infamous peg-controlled choke knob) and every single one of them was an utter disaster. The only plus-point about them is that whatever you get into afterwards feels like a massive improvement. Even the later K-series engined models are rather dire.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

XM :D
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

ken newbold wrote:XM
Don't think I haven't considered that.

Want to swap yours for a BX DTR turbo? No? Whyevernot?

I'm in the process of putting one of my 405 TD estates back together at the moment, which although may have a more comfortable driving position than the BX, is nowhere near as smooth on the road. Maybe I need hydropneumatics in a 405. Hmmmm.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Can't you modify the seat frame by cutting and re-welding the frame so as to get a drop of a couple of inches?

Easiest way I suppose would probably be to cut a section out of all the uprights 1 inch more than the desired drop and then join them along a i inch square section tube - so as to avoid a large amount of re-alignment. Right angle section would probably do as well as square.