Wanted

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Wanted

Post by mnde »

In order to help solve my BX16 crisis quickly, I may need one of the following to get the car up and running again:

Coil (later wedge type with 4 pin connector, not cylindrical with spade connectors)

Ignition module

Ignition wiring loom (i.e. the LT wiring between the module, coil and earth)

N.B. I am not a solderer, so I can't mess around with trying to replace single wires.

If anyone has any of these items in known good condition, please shout and I'll send a PM if my electrical tests tonight conclude that I need one or more of these. Time is of the essence because I'm moving house 1st July, and this Sunday I'm going to Tunisia for a week!

If I can't get it fixed I will either offer it to the club for a token amount.... or free if necessary (MOT until April 08, tax until July 07, lots of recent expensive work done), or.... it'll be scrapped :cry: . I cannot afford to have it recovered and repaired at a garage.

Thanks,

Mark.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Become a Crimper . . . . if you don't like soldering.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/searc ... imp/page/1
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

This is a worthwhile car and worth saving - but Mark has better things to do this month than learn to fix fiddly bits of Citroen deep in the chevronic pit of oily electrical doom.

I have - very rudimentary and out of practice - soldering skills but I intend on spending more time helping Mark and his lovely girlfriend move house than chasing electrical gremlins in a 20-year-old French car at a time when we've all got a lot going in our lives.

Help please! If we can get the whole fleet up and running with a few replacement parts and worry about chasing gremlins later, that would be good.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Thanks Jeremy and Stuart :)

Obviously I'd be upset to have to scrap the car, as it owes me a lot of garage bills: cambelt, rad, clutch, octopus, rear arms etc. and it's still only done c 98,000 miles, all the susp spheres are good, etc... Hopefully it won't come to that. But in all honesty, who is enthusiastic enough to come and trailer away a non-starting BX16?

Well, I've taken a fair amount of further multimeter readings which I'll post back on the Technical page and see if they mean something to someone. Thankfully my 151,000 mile GSA is in excellent health and performing like a car of substantially less mileage - on its original engine 8)

Stu: Moving date is provisionally 1st July if you're free. Lucy thinks you're a star and sends her thanks :) I'll email you soon.

Cheers,

Mark.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

It's all about karma. I owe a move, so even if I can't muster a vehicle I'll be there with my (admittedly limited) muscle power ;)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

As it happens, I am due to be in roughly that neck of the woods on 31st Jun / 1st July, and would not only be happy to come over (with soldering iron) and see if I can assist, but if it would be of any use in moving house, can also come up in one of the largest vehicles to display a Citroen Badge... A C25 LWB&Hi-top panel van. Any use to you? Could probably save several dozen car journeys.....
this might be a signature
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Thanks Stuart, and my word David that's a mighty kind offer, thankyou! :) We were looking at hiring a Kendals van @ £60 per day, but not sure what their opening hours are on a Sunday, cos we'd need to return the van same day otherwise we'd pay double.......... I'll have a word with Lucy and get back to you.

In the meantime more multimeter readings have carefully been noted and recorded here:

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6046&start=30
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

£60 per day? Given that you just know they're not going to be open when you need them to be, and hence will end up with a £120 bill, you're most welcome to make use of the big blue one. Events like this are exactly why I have it.

You do need to have plenty of Weetabix though. 3.5 tonnes GVW and no PAS. :mrgreen:
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Is it like this?

We would be very grateful for the use of your "big blue one" :) I'll be in touch shortly! Will let you know re. the BX. At the moment it's still very much "en pannes".

Mark.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

That's very much more like the first J5-variant van I had, which was a Talbot Express:

Which was a 1300kg SWB normal roof variant. It was also as rusty and rotten as they come, so when it came to MOT time, I didn't even bother. Instead, I got another one. The two are together here:

The replacement one is a C25 1800kg LWB high-top variant, and is a much nicer vehicle. Was free, as it needed a clutch. (which is a swine of a job on these. Very much akin to a CX)

So the answer is yes, sort of like that, but bigger:

In fact, big enough that I can (at 6') walk around in it. With a new clutch, and a change of seats from the godawful standard ripped-to-shreds van seats to a pair of MK3 Cavalier seats, it's a surprisingly comfortable vehicle to drive.

Plus, it (astoundingly) does over 30mpg if you're a bit careful.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

You're on! Thankyou :) I'll get in touch re logistics nearer the time.

Cheers,

Mark.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DavidRutherford wrote:Plus, it (astoundingly) does over 30mpg if you're a bit careful.
:shock: Better than a BX19 Petrol then? :wink: 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Got 36 out of my Gti, its all about skill :D
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Way2go wrote:Better than a BX19 Petrol then?
Yes, but progress is nowhere near as rapid. :lol:

In actual fact, this one suffers from its raised roofline. The smaller red one used to manage low-to-mid 30's, despite being the same (2.5D) engine.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I'd love a C25 van, but I'd stuff a CX 2.5GTi Turbo engine in it with a DTR box. Wouldn't care about the fuel consumption, but it really would be the fastest van in the west!! :D
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...