BX 16v for sale

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

His car, his choice though surely?

Carl, I think there's still good money in that. Sometimes you can have sort off offdays on eBay where cars don't fetch much at all and other days they go nuts.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Of course its his car and his choice but it just seems to offer it as a donor.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Aye, but if it brings the money in then surely that's all that matters to him?
Vauxhall apologist.
csg100
Confirmed BX'er

Post by csg100 »

It's been advertised on 4 or 5 forums for weeks now Tim, and it's been on a week long auction and only made £255 and that's to someone who would have broken it up. I didn't want to go down this route, but if no-one is willing to take on the car to sort it out I've got no choice. I need the money from it and the space on the drive ASAP.

If a BX'er wants to make me a sensible offer I'll happily let it go to them and will take it off ebay. But so far no one has stepped forward.
1990 BX 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Thats exactly the problem. ^^^

Plenty of tidy cars get offered for peanuts on this forum, or cars that are good underneath and need minor TLC. People are quick to judge, yet not stump up themselves. The nubmer of tidy BX's that are advertised on this forum vs the number that actually sell must be as high a percentage as the number of people who don't regret voting Labour in.

We had to Ebay that black 16v. I had to Ebay the 16RS the other day.....one of the tidiest mk1's I'd seen.

Phil had to Ebay his auto.

Tim's had to ebay numerous models.

And Billy

Plus numerous others......

If they keep getting ebayed, they'll keep going for peanuts and they'll keep having to constantly dodge the scrapman....even if they're good cars.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I think that there will always be more BXs that become available, than there are potential new owners within this Club.
Quite a few cars have changed hands within the membership over the past few months, and no doubt that will continue.
I reckon we are back to the main problem, which is storage space. There are a lot of members (myself included) who would gladly keep another 2 or 3 BXs with a view to further restoration somewhere down the road, but they simply do not have the space available for another car.

Also, we are (allegedly) in summertime, which is the time of year when a lot of people actually DO some restoration work on the cars they already have. Consequently, some cars will also become available that have been "restored" to some kind of working use, and thuis add to the "BX Pool" coming from eBay and the like!

If people are looking for a cheap, relatively simple, longish-term project, they will be more reluctant to part with a bigger sum of beer vouchers to start with! Therefore the free, or very cheap, cars will move around quicker and easier than some of the better models (such as good valvers) which need a bigger investment to begin with.

I think that quite a few members have one BX which is in almost daily use, and another currently SORNed in some stage of repair. To add yet another to the waiting list is simply not an economical, or logistical, possibility for most people, no matter how good their intentions.

The older these BXs become, the smaller the number of people who wish to keep one for everyday use. The only way to find homes for all the extra BXs which are 'saved' by members, would be to physically increase the numbers of people who want to own a BX!! Difficult job!!

That probably reads like a load of old tosh.....but I've not long been up, and need more caffeine!

Regards,
Dave
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Makes a lot of sense actually Dave and I completely agree with Kitch and Carl too. We can't make people buy BX's on here (or anywhere else for that matter) so eBay etc has to be the answer.
Look at that 1.6 auto I had, cracking car with very low miles and would have been mint with very little work yet ended up going cheap on eBay to someone who only wanted a medium sized auto and didn't seem to care if it was a BX. Did I complain? No, it got me some money which it wasn't going to fetch on here. I honestly reckon unless you've got an extremely rare car or one that holds personal sentimental valu to yourself then it doesn't really matter how it ends up if you get your asking price or somewhere near.
Carl's done everything he can to try and make sure an enthusiast buys his and alas it's not happened so it's entirely his call what he does with it and how he advertises it.
When/if my early Metro hits eBay I'll be praying it doesn't go to a banger racer but if no-one else steps in then that may happen.
Vauxhall apologist.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I agree with everyone's sentiments on here, i sympathise with those who want to save everyone going, but thats just not realistic. I now own 3 BX's, 2 of which need repairs if they are ever to see the road again, & cos i dont know how to do these repairs will be sat on my drive until club members come visiting sometime in the future.

Also when they are sorted i wont be needing all 3, add up just the road tax costs alone, then insurance for all of em, just not economic. So at least one of em will have to go, presuming of course my marriage is still around. Wife now refers to us as the pikey's on the road, due to the number of old bangers we have......

So anyone got a huge warehouse thats watertight????
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

We still need to do those arm bearings when i get chance Mulley.

BUT which car are we going to do them on?
Over and out from me
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

All 3 :D, only kidding, i think my latest one is ok. Hmm, which one out of the other 2 to do first?? not sure as i need help on both of them & doc is dropping off a 2nd hand head so either would be ok Ian.

I can possibly have a half day sometime next week if that fits in with your plans? depending upon the weather of course....
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Good point about the weather, i'm not doing it in the rain!!!

Have you rigged up the vice yet?
Over and out from me
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

I havent rigged it up, does it actually need attaching to something solid or is it ok to just be on the ground??
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I'm not sure my back would take it if its on the floor.
Over and out from me
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

I'm sure i could rig it up round my father-in laws garage, would mean a drive of a couple of miles. So they could be removed at mine & then sorted elsewhere, to then return?

I dont have any sort of bench type set-up in my garage so dont have anything i could attach it to, a tumble dryer perhaps???

Er, sorry about the thread hi-jack guys....