Whaletail?

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
mountainmanUK

Whaletail?

Post by mountainmanUK »

Having today removed my old (knackered) babywalker rear spoiler, I have been considering replacing it by a black rubber (?) whaletail!

How easy are these to come by? Which BX models would have had them fitted as OE? Does anyone know of one for sale?

The old babywalker had obviously been on and off the car a few times previously, as I discovered a multitude of sins! The nearside rear bolt had at some time been ripped out, taking a 2p sized chunk of tailgate with it. Similarly on the offside, but with slightly less damage! All this was hidden under the spoiler when fitted, but it essentially meant that there were only the two forward mounting screws holding it on!
Good job I never needed to push the car!!! :wink:
Temporarily covered the gaping holes both sides with good ol' duct tape!

Cheers
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The black rubber whale tail type was fitted to MK1 GTs, and MK2 19TR/TZS and TZI models only so quite rare. They do show up from time to time, you could fit a MK2 P216v type rear spoiler but I tink there bonded on and difficult to get off, I do have a 16v P2 tailgate gratis if you wanted to try fitting it.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Hi Tim!

Is it the P2 spoiler that you have, or the full tailgate with spoiler attached:?
Might be worth just swapping the entire hatch, if the spoilers are a tw@t to remove!!
If it's the hatch that you have, what colour is it? Condition (rear screen demister etc)??

Cheers matey! :D
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You can get the spoiler off the hatch, but you have to destroy the hatch to do so.
By far the easiest way is to change the hatch complete.
If your fitting a P2 whale tail you really have to fit the side pods aswell, otherwise it looks crap, just like my TD does at the mo...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Hmmmmm.
Think I'll just bung some goo in the holes, and fit that Olympic Blue babywalker that I bought at the CCC for £3. (After spraying up of course!)

Don't fancy having to repaint a full tailgate, complete with whaletail!

Doc! What are these 'pods' of which you speak? Are they kind of side extensions to the spoiler, that sit on the rear quarter panels? :?
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Spoilers free to anyone who wants it, if not its going up the tip :D
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Is it still attached to a hatch, Tim?
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Indeed it is. Also have a spare 16V rim with scrap tyre (anthracite) which Im tipping unless someone wants it.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

mountainmanUK wrote: Doc! What are these 'pods' of which you speak? Are they kind of side extensions to the spoiler, that sit on the rear quarter panels? :?
Indeed they are mate. Take a look at this:

heres a better view of the red car minus the side pods:

Like every other body jit part on a BX they are glued on, theres a skill to getting them off without breaking them, although Vanny may have some attached to a car he might part with??

If you get the hatch from Tim and want to remove the whale tail from it, remove the two plastic bungs (one in each corner of the tailgate, undo the two 10mm nuts, then get yourself a big blowtorch and heat the underside of the tailgate below the spoiler, get it VERY hot, that will melt the glue and the whale will pull away, but you'll need LOTS of heat, and patience.
The tail itself is a substancial piece of fibreglass, is heavy, and well made, so you'd be very unlucky to damage it in the process, although the tailgate will be FUBAR afterwards..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...