1993(K) BX 19TXD Dark Green (sadly has to go)

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
ianE20

1993(K) BX 19TXD Dark Green (sadly has to go)

Post by ianE20 »

:(
My wife's car, 208500 miles, runs well - used regularly for 100+ mile runs until last month, good tyres, new starter 2000 miles ago (while on holiday in Anglesey). Has given superb service for 6+ years.

But MOT fail on:
Rear suspension units leaking (both sides)
Suspension fluid leaking (somewhere at the front - just started)
Corrosion on offside outer rear suspension mount - otherwise none.
Metered smoke level a bit high (but advised that should clean up with a fuel additive)

It really needs to go, but feel it is too good to scrap, and I haven't the time to sort it for daily travel to work.

Based Gloucester
Any interest?

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 ... 03copy.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 ... 02copy.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 ... 01copy.jpg[/IMG][/img]
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

I've got one like that --- 1993 K-reg Triton green.

The leak at the front might well be the short leak back pipe from the height corrector to the octopus.

If the rear spheres have recently been changed there will be some unavoidable spillage which could easily be mistaken for rear suspension leakage.

I wonder what exactly is corroded on the rear suspension and if it is repairable.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
ianE20

1993 BX

Post by ianE20 »

i was assured by the MOT man that it is the suspension units leaking (struts?), not a problem with the spheres. At the front. it is a steady drip when running, and certainly has left a damp patch on the drive!!
:cry:
ianE20

Post by ianE20 »

Again - re: corrosion - advised that it's easy enough to weld up . The expense is in the suspension units (I'm told) - c£75 each at GSF.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

There is a discussion here on overhauling rear struts whiich might be of interest,
http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7139
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The octopus leak at the front may be an easy fix, without the need to replace the whole octopus. But the rear cylinders leaking :(

I've never come across these with a slight leak before, it usually gushes out when they leak due to the high pressure involved.

You've not mentioned a price for your car but to be brutally honest, you'll be lucky to find someone to take it on, unless it's VERY cheap or free. Scrap value is about £60 these days so I'm afraid that's probably all it's worth especially with the high mileage. :(

My advise would be to offer it free to someone who would be willing to repair it (assuming you'd prefer not to see it go in the crusher) or find time and repair it yourself. With a couple of new rear cylinders or even secondhand ones it could give many more years service.

Best of luck.

ken
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Good point Ken. There'll always be one person who'll take a free car. However that is, of course, entirely your call Ian. Be nice to find someone willing to give you at least something for it and take it on. Tom, any good to you? Assuming the price is right it must be better than that rough red estate advertised or spotted on here?
Vauxhall apologist.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

cavmad wrote:Tom, any good to you? Assuming the price is right it must be better than that rough red estate advertised or spotted on here?
:? Don't think Tom's comfortable with the BX Image any more Cav :shock: Seem to recall that he's selling what he's got and moving to an upmarket marque. No doubt he could renovate it though as the one he's selling has loads of new bits on it as described on his posting info.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
ianE20

Post by ianE20 »

Thanks Guys - I guessed it might only be a freebie!

Re the slight leak - I put the suspension on high earlier today - thought I'd have a closer look - yep it's now gushing!!

I think ken must have jinxed it!!

any takers - starter has to be worth £20!?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Any nearer Ian and I really would have had that (at a fair price too) but alas distance is against me, plus I should have another Citroen here tomorrow and space at a premium I'm afraid.
Good luck with the sale though, someone should snap that up.
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I take it the MOT has expired, but what about the tax?

by the way, why can't I get your photo links to work :?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I take it the cars in Gloucester?
I'll have a look at it, and if it's tidy enough looking, I'll give you £60 for it, and promise not to scrap it, if it's a hatch not an estate.

But it will become a 19TD.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

:D good man
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Well done Doc !

The pictures don’t work because there is an extra [\IMG] at the end
Image.

Ken’s temp octopus fix together with some great advice on octopus replacement is available here,
http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

A set of alloys and a good clean would improve the looks no end, well done doc.