Wanted. Red ends (ooh er)

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Wanted. Red ends (ooh er)

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Anyone got spare end caps for the red trim on a 16v front bumper?

Thought not.

Byeee! :D :roll:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

U may struggle mate as I did, I have some spare red trim if u need any u could cut down
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks, as always Tim. I think they are like the end caps you get on those thin curtain poles for nets, you know the sort of thing. I will patiently bide my time and see if I can get the proper item - or something that does a good me too... But thanks for the offer, Tim.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

tim leech wrote:U may struggle mate as I did, I have some spare red trim if u need any u could cut down
YOU :evil:

Sorry to be a grammar nazi but that doesn't half piss me off.
Vauxhall apologist.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Steady on u :lol:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, Billy I tend to find txt spk a trifle irritating in some instances, but Tim's contribution should be viewed in the spirit it was delivered: one of offered assistance.
What are we all going to do? Should we all start correcting each other's spelling or grammar?

Not on this forum if I have anything to do with it.

Leave your personal irritations away from my post, mate :wink:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Philip chidlow wrote:Well, Billy I tend to find txt spk a trifle irritating in some instances, but Tim's contribution should be viewed in the spirit it was delivered: one of offered assistance.
What are we all going to do? Should we all start correcting each other's spelling or grammar?

Not on this forum if I have anything to do with it.

Leave your personal irritations away from my post, mate :wink:
Point 1) I didn't say Tim's contribution was not 'in the spirit'.

Point 2) Nobody's perfect: no-one seems to mind spelling mistakes but 'text type' is inexcusable.

Point 3) You (just like I) don't have anything to do with it. Just like you don't have anything to do with the server on this forum but saw fit to complain about it non-the-less.

Point 4) Well, see point three really.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

OK. Let's leave it there then. :shock:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Actually, let's not.

Who says text speak is inexcusable? (Not that I like it).

And, although I did complain about the server issues I acknowledged the time and effort put into running the forum - I was just expressing frustration that I know was shared by many others.

So Billy unless I've missed something you haven't been given the role of assessing other member's contributions, so please, in the spirit of the Club, lay off. Please?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Philip chidlow wrote:Who says text speak is inexcusable?
Many people do, myself included.

The point of text-type is that it uses less characters but still get the basic message across, which is appropriate for an environment where the number of characters is severely limited, such as a text message.

Anywhere else it is completely and utterly unnecessary, and is a major irritation. As far as I'm concerned, the more times it's pointed out the better. Poor spelling is one thing, bad grammar is another, but text-language is a general dumbing-down of the English language. It grates badly.

as nicked from www.sniffpetrol.com
this might be a signature
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Philip chidlow wrote:Actually, let's not.

Who says text speak is inexcusable? (Not that I like it).

And, although I did complain about the server issues I acknowledged the time and effort put into running the forum - I was just expressing frustration that I know was shared by many others.

So Billy unless I've missed something you haven't been given the role of assessing other member's contributions, so please, in the spirit of the Club, lay off. Please?
Erm, you complained about my contribution to this thread didn't you, or is it a case of one rule for you, another for me?
I was also expressing a frustration that I know is shared by others but actually expressed my personal opinion on the matter. In case you didn't get what I said Philip it was that I (that's me) think text type is inexcusable and, for the record, it's actually banned on all the other forums I use where the age range of the members/users are considerably lower than the age range of the users of this forum. I'm not perfect (never said I was) but neither are you (as my point about your message ref. the servers hopefully got through. I honestly don't see my view on idiotic text type being any worse than complaining about the wonderful free service we've all enjoyed on this forum thanks to Jon.
The spirit of this club has always been that people help each other out, no question of that, so please don't patronise me by pretending to speak for others and I won't do the same.
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I'm totally lost, what on earth are you on about, 16v's don't have end caps? certainly not red ones. If your talking about the red trim insert in the bumper which the last 20mm of each end always falls off of revealing a small hole, well it's just fallen off, they are originally a one piece affair and don't have seperate 'caps', best bet is that U (sp?) take Tims offer and glue in a bit of old stuff as you'll be waiting a long time for a 'cap'.
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

I agree with David.

There is no point in communicating in whatever form if one's intended meaning is not immediately apparent. We do have considerable local variations in vocabulary, often extending to a regional dialect. All of which is fine, given the reader or hearer comprehends that dialect without the possibility of misunderstanding.

Without such comprehension we are reduced to the limited vocabulary of body language - posturing for effect - or the hidden meanings of, say, dogs who, rather than shake paws, prefer to sniff ars*s and b*lls Having met Phillip, I believe he knows my preference!!

Auntie BBC's standard of received pronunciation is an excellence understood the world over. I have had the privilege of living in the Eastern Bloc where English was learned from the BBC World Service. And what a standard of communication that offers. Twelve year old Polish and Czech children with a grammar and vocabulary far exceeding a Sky TV News presenter.

Between American English (?) and sound bites we've lost one of our greatest possessions - the most expressive language the world has ever known. We've allowed an exchange of this language for text - speak, only American English bridging the gap.

I refuse to deal in text - speak, sound bites, slogans, slang Caribbean - speak or any other misrepresentations of the English language. However, I willingly help a non-native speaker to use better English.

None of the above detracts from speaking or writing in the spirit of something. So what spirit is Billie and Phillip writing in!

That should set the cat among the pigeons!!!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I didn't really expect this. I will draw a line under it as I may well have misrepresented my views. I do not agree that txt spk is appropriate in normal communication. However if others, who I respect, fall into this abbreviated form of writing, then I do not particularly mind. Especially when the message is one offering help.

I'm sorry if I've upset anyone here. Those who know me will understand that I am egalitarian and democratic. Apologies to those I have upset. Really.

Vanny, I am new to this game (ie 16v ownership!) but some other cars I have owned did have such 'end pieces' - obviously not having another 16v as reference I drew the wrong conclusions.

I stand corrected.

(Christ, I wish I had kept my mouth shut, so to speak!!! :roll: :wink: )

Before I bid goodnight, my daughter suggests .... dat u lt shd liten up tbh n btw i fink tht txt tlk is da shizzle. so suk on tht.! =)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

For those of you who don't like txt type, why don't you just ignore it.

I can see no mention anywhere on this site that says you can't use it.

I don't give a monkey's why you don't like it (keep your personal issues to yourself). These criticisms have added zero value to this thread.

If you had wanted to debate this, why dont you use the appropriate section of the forum instead, that way anyone who is interested can be involved, & anyone who isn't, won't.

A ruined thread about bumper trim, well done, & you've managed to piss some people off in the process, including yourselves!!!