A leather clad lovely

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

I thought there were phase 1 and phase 2 in all BXs? They all had shorter indicators at the front didn't they on the early models and some differences to the instrument panel?

Anyway my car is an 8v GTi, so are the rear lenses of all the other BXs apart from the 16v interchangable?

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

You are thinking of Mark 1 and Mark 2...

The Mark 1 BX has the smaller orange indicators at the front, and the proper Citroen style dash.

Phase 1 and Phase 2 refers to the early and late (post August '89) Mark 2 BXs .

The lights are different, but they are completely interchangable... I'd put the later lights on, but that is a matter of opinion.

The lights on the 16v are no different to all other BXs.

Hope this clears things up,
Matt
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Hi,
Thanks Matt, that's exactly what I was thinking of. It didn't realise there were different phases as well as different marks :)

Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Phase 1 and Phase 2 only refers to the two versions of the BX 16V, other wise its Mark 1 for the PRN style dash and Mark2 for the rounded dash models.
davidc

Post by davidc »

DJ - Did you get my PM
TZI & TRI Estates
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Righty ho, I am back in BX land and sorting out the parts, here's a definitive list of who's having what:

Boot cavity cover, mirror control unit: sold to Matt H (bxclub). £2 + postage tbc.

Rear light clusters (grey), lock set, driver's mirror, boot light, clock tray: sold to thanuttiscotsman (bx16valve forum). £24 + postage tbc.

Rear light clusters (phase 1 type), sold to Rob_E (bxclub forum). £5 + postage tbc.

Seats, parcel shelf which I forgot to list, steering wheel; sold to nstarmore (bxclub). £60, pickup to be arranged.

Gearknobs x 2; sold to Mark Hughes (bx16valve forum). £2, will bring them back to Manchester tomorrow.

Sunroof deflector and headlamp guards; sold to Cossie (bx16valve forum). £35 + postage tbc.
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Matt H wrote:The lights are different, but they are completely interchangable...
I don't think this is quite true actually. The multi-pin plugs that power the rear light clusters were different on early models - the earlier ones had a joint that was like a pinched ribbon folded over with a sleeve that fitted on top. Maybe these were mk1 lights?
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

The light cluster on mine (the LH side anyway) has two big mulitplugs and one small one; the small one I thin is a feed for the number plate lights and of the large ones, one is the feed from the rest of the electrics and the other is the connections to the right hand side. All the connections on the bulb holder are on a kind of very thin plastic PCB some of this wraps around to the back of the bulb holder and is folded over a raised piece of the bulb holder to form the connection the multiplugs slide over.
Is this the old type of light cluster? if so would a newer type fit on my car?

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I don't think this is quite true actually. The multi-pin plugs that power the rear light clusters were different on early models - the earlier ones had a joint that was like a pinched ribbon folded over with a sleeve that fitted on top. Maybe these were mk1 lights?
I'm quite sure that the later type back lights will fit straight on all pre '89 cars, as I have done it a couple of times in the past on Phase 1 16Vs, with no ill effects. Was just a case of unplugging one and plugging the other one in.

Was a couple of years ago now, but I'm pretty sure there was nothing more to it than that. I know that there were complaints of earthing problems with the earlier cars, and this was sorted on the later ones, so maybe this has something to do with the differences you mentioned?

I think I have a pair of Phase 1 back lights in the garage, so I'll have a look tomorrow and see if there are any differences with mine :)

Regards,
Matt
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Matt, i think your getting very confused between Mk1/Mk2 and Phase1/2

Mk1 refers to the early pre 1986 BX with the PRN dash and short square front indicators.

Mk2 refers to ALL cars after this.

ALL 16v's are Mk2, however there are two Phase's of 16v, the Phase 1 which looks like any other Mk2 BX and the Phase 2 16v which has the fibreglass/GFRP full body kit.

Mk1 rear clusters dont fit Mk2 cars or the other way round in my experience.

BX Mk2 rear lights where never significantly changed (there are a small number of a different designed circuit board from early Mk2 cars, which dont fit the later style) and are ALL subject to the same wiring issues.
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Okay... Now I understand

Sorry I don't think that I was being clear enough last night... I know from personal experience that the smoked rear lenses off a K-reg BX 19TXD fit onto an F-reg Phase 1 BX 16v without any problems.

I wasn't sure if they were compatible with Mk 1 BXs or early Mk2s, but now I know that they aren't... Thanks for clearing that up.

Seeing as Rob_e has an 1989 GTi, I would have thought the later lights will fit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Matt