WANTED Bosch Fuel pump

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
bx tgd
Confirmed BX'er

WANTED Bosch Fuel pump

Post by bx tgd »

I have a 1.8 td tgd 1990 on g reg i am wanting it to run on vege oil, but am sure it has a lucas pump, has anyone got a bosch one kicking around they want to sell??

does anyone know if the changeover is a nightmere from lucas to bosch? does anyone run on red??

cheers
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

What do you plan to do about the injectors then?
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

hate to ask the obvious but where in the country are you?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Re: WANTED Bosch Fuel pump

Post by docchevron »

bx tgd wrote: does anyone run on red??

cheers
That would of course be totally illegal on the public highway.

It's not difficult to swop from a Lucas to a Bosch or V.V. but as pointed out above, you will need suitable bosch injectors and pipes aswell.
Also worth bearing in mind the recent discussions on the viability of using veg oil in Bosch pumps and the peoblems it can bring before thinking you're on to a winner...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: WANTED Bosch Fuel pump

Post by Way2go »

docchevron1472 wrote:
bx tgd wrote: does anyone run on red??

cheers
That would of course be totally illegal on the public highway.
I seem to remember that the red stains all the mechanical parts it comes into contact with and these stains remain even if you switch back to derv. So if inspected by the ministry for any reason, they have a valid reason to fine you and crush your car. :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

not if the vehicle spent a large proportoin of its life on a farm paying tax on the agricultural use red diesel (and i'm bloody counting on that if i put the land rover back on the road!). I believe these days the staining is not simply a colour but also a pigment that needs a filter to be seen, and hence it might not look like there is staining but under the right conditions it can likely be seen.

I do have a complete Bosch pump/injectors/pipes non immoboliser type, and while it is fitted on an engine it has stood for some time. I'm also unlikely to be able to post either (not in the near future at least), hence asking about your location
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

It is near impossible to remove evidence of running red diesel.
If a vehicle has been used (usually in an agricultiral sense) and then you wish to use it on the public highway you have to get a letter from the vehicle inspectorate to say it once used red diesel but doesn't any longer.
If you are caught with red diesel in it you will get right royally, er, well, screwed.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
bx tgd
Confirmed BX'er

Red and bio Etc

Post by bx tgd »

Thanks for all your help and suggestions... i will considor what you have all said, although i am pretty anti forcourt as the prices are absolutley CRAZY!!! i live on the south coast so i am not sure where you are in the uk bosch man?? not to clued up on diesels although i have worked on cars since i have been drivng. have to find a way to poke fingers up to the government who are bleeding dry the adverage class family man through exorbadant taxes and ever rising costs.... but i nust admit the bosch swap over sounds a mission if it includes injectors and pipes etc..
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Changing the injectors and the pipes are the easy bit.
Fitting and timing the pump up is the fun bit.

Exactley where abouts on the south coast are you?
Somewhere picturesque?
If so I may be available at some point over the next couple of months, and I might just have all the bits you need!

bx tgd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bx tgd »

I am about 10 mins away from chichester in west sussex, some nice areas around here. Arundel, chichester itself, brighton for something a little .... cosmopolitan, south downs for walks and hampshire up the road, "the new forest" about 40 - 50 mins away, lovely place beautiful countryside historic woodland wild ponies and cows, nicel little villages there and country pubs. my pump is definatley a lucas, i looked at it tonight now the evenings are drawing out i can see more. i would be interested in the parts seeing as my car has only 50k on it it would be a worthwhile changeover, hopefully it will run on 75 vege 25 derv..... keep me posted and let me know how much you want?? also have you done this work before?
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

So a few of us in that general area these days!
docchevron

Re: Location

Post by docchevron »

bx tgd wrote: i would be interested in the parts seeing as my car has only 50k on it it would be a worthwhile changeover, hopefully it will run on 75 vege 25 derv..... keep me posted and let me know how much you want?? also have you done this work before?
Parts you can have for free, I dont need them, I dont run an N/A anymore.
Even so, I'd be cautious about running "the veg" even in a bosch pump equipped car. They dont like it. Not longterm anyhow..

Time is stooopidly tight at the mo, and I'm probably not going to get a proper free weekend for a couple of months TBH, but if it's not uber urgent I'm sure something can be arranged.

If you need it sooner I can always post the pump, pipes and injectors down to you.

As for doing jobs on cars, nah, I never lift the bonnet, I'm no expert, I just play one on the internet! :wink:

bx tgd
Confirmed BX'er

Pump

Post by bx tgd »

Thanks that would be great, i am in no major hurry for the pump etc, as for the xantia pump.... not sure, is it just a bolt on job?? know anyone who has done it etc??
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

There's loads of BX's running around with Xantia pumps on.
It's no more difficult than fitting any other pump really.
A pump is a pump is a pump etc...