Wanted: GTI/16Valve

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Kitch wrote: In my experience, paying top money for a car doesn't guarantee mintness. Better to start cheap and put money where you know it needs to be :)
Very very wise words that.
Any BX will now be at least 15 years old, so you're never going to get a "MINT" one, they just dont exist, there are alot of GOOD ones, but never mint.
If you have the time and talent then buying a ropey BX and going through it repairing as and where needed is by FAR the best approach.
Then you know what you've got and can take pride in having made it that way yourself.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

stuart_hedges wrote:My God, that looks good in black.
It does rather. Are the red pinstripes original? (Not that it matters, just that they set it off very well).
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, looks great Chris. I'm always intrigued by the various vehicles that one can see in the background of your photos - looks as though you'll be busy for several millenia!

2K for a very good ( a relative term) 16v seems about right when you think what other featurelss junk you can get for that money!
In France the good ones get high prices too, and they're so rare here that a good one always goes for a lot of €€€s
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

mat_fenwick wrote:
stuart_hedges wrote:My God, that looks good in black.
It does rather. Are the red pinstripes original? (Not that it matters, just that they set it off very well).
Erm, well THOSE red pinstripes aren't original! I stuck them on earlier this week, but they replaced the original 3mm red pinstripes that were on all the old panles, so yes, as such they are original, although from new it had a second strip in silver (4mm) just above the red stripe but it looked awful so I removed them many years ago!

You're not wrong Todd, there's always a vast collection of rubbish up the farm, but it always gets done in the end, although for some of them I think I'll see my end before the buses do!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Malcolm

BX 16valve GTI

Post by Malcolm »

:( Yes funny things do happen through e-bay it seems there are different rules for each person.

I have a car for sale as above just waiting for a bottom hose to be fitted and a thermostat casing but my garage says they cant find either so I am in a bit of a quandary at the moment BUT if I can get this sorted out the car will be for Sale, for around £600 with a full MOT on it.

My e-mail address is GowMS@aol.com or tel No.01728688086
I live near Ipswich in Suffolk
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

You have a 16V for sale??

Pictures??

Erm, bottom hoses are getting hard to get hold of, although the main stealer in Bristol can still source them, so they must be available somewhere!
And if you get really stuck for a thermostat housing then a ZX 1.9i (later engine) housing will do the job.

raggerminder

RE: BX16 valve wanted

Post by raggerminder »

funny things do happen through e-bay
Sadly, my experience wasn't even an ebay one.

PM sent.

Rob
The light at the end of the tunnel is just another train...
raggerminder

Nearly Done

Post by raggerminder »

Hi All

I've gone mad, underpants on head and pencils up the nose and bought a CX. Drove it home nearly 300 miles today and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Now just waiting for my out of pocket expenses regarding the valver to be reimbursed by the vendor and I can draw a line under the whole sorry experience.

By the way my BX 1.4 is still up for grabs if anyone wants a good one! :)

Rob
The light at the end of the tunnel is just another train...
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

What CX have you got dude?
Turbo????

Piccies????

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

It Come off in me hand!

Would this fit the bill?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Ooooooooooooohhhh!
Thats REALLY pretty.
And not all that far from me...

hhmm... and it's really pretty...
Although, one blue tint rear light, one smoke...
Shame, and I sont have any blue tint lights..

But, thats stooopidly tempting that is..
Although, do I really need another car? No, but...

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Nice colour.
roy.hassell
BXpert

BX Wanted /For Sale.

Post by roy.hassell »

I was the owner of the Red 16Valver which appears to have raised so much interest in its recent sale. In response to the comments for and against the story I can only say there are two sides to it. Yes, the prospective purchaser, Rob, did offer to pay the asking price of £1095 but no deposit was made although offered. He is a teacher in Darlington and the car was in Hampshire. Yes I was in no hurry to complete the deal and Rob was unable to make the trip down before Half-Term which was 4-5 weeks after initial contact so one could hardly say he was putting himself out to take delivery. He had already told me it was a toss up between mine and a CX in Ayrshire. No I did not remove it from sale, would you with those time frames, but equally so I wouldn't let anyone else view it although I was quite happy to supply details. At all times Rob was kept informed and supplied with copies of e-mails to other ( more than one ) interested parties so he was well aware of developments. The eventual purchaser first offered £1500, which was rejected because of Rob, then £2000, and agreed upon £2275. It was me who offered to refund Robs train fare, and the HPI carried out at my suggestion, not the other way round. That cheque for expenses was sent prior to the eventual collection of the car so there should be no complaints there from Rob. As for those who mention Small Claims Court, get real !! How many of my critics if they were being totally honest with themselves would have turned away the higher price, sight unseen, money upfront ! Rob was aware of the facts at all times and could have equalled the price if it meant so much to him as a specific car if it was ' The One.' I too am disappointed, but that is not in the actual transaction, but in the fact that someone felt it necessary to air their views in such a way. In closing I ask how many of my detractors saw the original ad--if they had they would have known how much I put into the car to restore it and maybe, just maybe would realise it is still undervalued !
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Very well put. I for one can understand fully your position. And what an excellent price to get! Well done. We were only going on Rob's information so yes, it seems there are clearly two sides of the story. Club chat can get a little, let's say heated.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

If I asked to buy a car from someone but said I couldn't collect for 4-5 weeks and could send nothing in the way of a holding deposit, I don't think I'd be the least bit surprised if it was sold in the meantime!

And if I were in the seller's shoes, I'd have probably taken the £1500 without hesitation! :lol: A deposit/payment and written reciept hold a car (that'll get you into the small claims court)...word of mouth does not, unless you happened to record the moment! A gentlemans agreement is generally adhered to on a club forum and should always be between friends, but between strangers it holds as much water as a Goverment promise. Money talks!

Plus to be honest, if someone is insane enough to pay £2275 for a BX then you wouldn't stand much chance against them! It was probably one of their old cars they wanted back for sentimental reasons, and if they've got it, they'll pay nearly anything sometimes!

I side with the seller on this, but then I also can't think of a more postive thing to happen for the original prospective purchaser. £1095 for a BX, valver or not is too much*

Theres an early red ph2 on ebay right now. Ends in 4 hours. It's at £650 now, although given the bodywork even that might be pushing it! But mechanically it's good....I know the previous owner who sold it for an SD1 last year!
I'd definately sink my money into that one, get the polish out and get some smart repairs on the body.

*unless it's a 4TC!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)