Good home for J reg 8v GTi

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

With respect to David, Stuart, Billy and Tim (the combatants of old), can we have this 'out' elsewhere? I will put a bit on my blog to get things going if you like :D

I have a particular interest in keeping this O/T (believe me I'm not being selfish) as i think a decent GTi auto, high miles or not, is worth finding a good home for. And I know just the place :wink:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

roverman wrote:it's quite clear from previous posts that you dont like me
Quotes, please? I don't recall saying such a thing, but I'm willing to be corrected.

On the two occasions that I've met you, you didn't annoy me. I'm a fussy bugger, so that's no insult. In my world, "liking someone" takes time, so you're actually ahead.

Your behaviour on internet forums, on the other hand, is extremely irritating. Picture the scene: a stressed out office worker looks to BXC for some light relief at lunchtime and is really pleased when all the topics show a yellow New Post icon. Imagine the annoyance when every single one of those new posts consists of a single word, or a smiley, from you. This Has Happened.

Let's not mention throwing a tantrum because I'd stored some stuff for you, for free, for nearly six months then had to get rid because I'd been chucked out of my home because my landlord's mate needed somewhere to stay.

Re-registering and pretending to be a new member is generally considered bad news, too.

I don't think I've said anything in this post that hasn't been pointed out already. At length. Several times.

Back on topic: at other times in my life, I'd have been all over that car. But it's not right for the moment unfortunately :( I do hope someone takes it on.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Did you ever get that GTi register off the ground Philip? Numbers must be getting lower now with high fuel and scrap values and the reluctance of some people to spend money on older 'unfashionable' cars?
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Philip Chidlow wrote:With respect to David, Stuart, Billy and Tim (the combatants of old),

I feel rather left out!

As it goes, David is an absolute gentleman of the first order, he's no combatant and tells things as thet are without being rude or derogatory.

Likewise Stuart, another gentleman with elloquence.

I dont recall either ever having a pop at Tim.

Billy is Cheshires finest son, and any gripes betwixt Tim and billy was always tongue in cheek, thats how Billy is, if people choose to take it personally then it's their problem really.

Forum etiquette is pretty much universal and not overly difficult to adhere to.
As for keeping this thread "clean" of positing and clinging to topic, you've expressed a desire to have the car Phil, you've PM'd the dude giving it away, so unless someone steps in and offers eleventy billion pounds for it (which is rather unlikely) then it's all but a done deal so job done.

Lets be honest, if evrything is out in the open then it's not left to fester and it may stop someone exploding in a fit of pique down the line as happened last time.
And that did no-one any favors, including the poeple that got fingers pointed at them for expressing what alot of people thought anyway.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Fair do's. Anyway, as far as GTi register goes I wasn't exactly innundated with membership requests although some did express an interest I felt it my be a 'sub-category' too far. Best to try revitalise a BX register in order to get some readings on model-by-model proportions.

A GTi auto, as Way2go and Billy too may confirm is a nice drive - if a little thirsty for short trips. The one that this topic refers to might well have high miles but some important work has been done: but there will always be more, and that, combined with fuel costs might blunt enthusiasm. Or not as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

docchevron1472 wrote:so unless someone steps in and offers eleventy billion pounds for it
Well, it's not a 16v, so maybe a little less :lol:
db1

Post by db1 »

Well that stirred up a lot of chat :-)

I have had two PM contacts and will reply to them. Hey, maybe they will bid against each other :-)
db1

Post by db1 »

Toddao

I find that opening the windows when tanking down the Autobahn at 100MPH + is not a good idea!

I know it gets hot there. What set it all off was two things. Firstly I made the dreadful mistake of buying SWMBO a car *with* air con. And secondly, a couple of years back, we were driving down to Munich, a thing we do quite often, and it was HOT - In fact I was ill for a couple of days afterwards. So SWMBO said it was the last time we did anything like that without air con. Hers is too small for that sort of trip.

The rest, as they, say is history.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Hello DB1,

yes, I know that the A/C environment is pleasant. I was just having a bit of a laugh. However, I regularly go up and down the autobahn in the heat ( my yellow sledge tops out at 150kmph), I don't open the windows but just have the fan running. Ok, I am a bit stuck in the 80s - I've never had a car newer than 1988 .
If you're coming down to Munich then you're not too far from here - 3 hours to the east. I'm just south of the Black Forest.
Incidentally what is your next choice of car to replace the GTI?
Hope to meet you at The National - I will be driving a product of Stuttgart rather than Tremery however!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:I will be driving a product of Stuttgart rather than Tremery however!
You coming in the Merc camper then? Chances are I will be in a German vehicle too, possibly with BX in tow...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, I'm coming in 'the hill-buster'. If I set off now, I'll just about be there in time. It ain't BXquisite but it's got a fridge.( Man gets thirsty etc.)
What's your ride then Mat?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

This be my ride* Todd. Fridges FTW!

I may still come in the BX, if I get the rough running sorted, and get it taxed, MOT'd and insured... Alternatively, seeing as just about the only free daylight time I have in the next few weeks is the weekend of the National, I may take the BX on the trailer, and work on it at the show (just to continue last years theme!)

*Hopefully. I haven't started it since November since I took it off the road. And now there is no diesel getting to the injectors.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Nice van Mat, I like that a lot!
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
db1

Post by db1 »

toddao wrote:Hello DB1,

yes, I know that the A/C environment is pleasant. I was just having a bit of a laugh. However, I regularly go up and down the autobahn in the heat ( my yellow sledge tops out at 150kmph), I don't open the windows but just have the fan running. Ok, I am a bit stuck in the 80s - I've never had a car newer than 1988 .
If you're coming down to Munich then you're not too far from here - 3 hours to the east. I'm just south of the Black Forest.
Incidentally what is your next choice of car to replace the GTI?
Hope to meet you at The National - I will be driving a product of Stuttgart rather than Tremery however!
Of course the fan is just blowing hot air :-) I have to admit that we are rather taken with the new C5, hated the old one, but this is a different car. Drove one a few days ago. Have to be the hydroactive version of course. Wonder if it will last 17 years - Wonder if *I* will last another 17 years! :-) Look out for the car J190DGJ - Will only be there on the Sunday though.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

jonathan_dyane wrote:Nice van Mat, I like that a lot!
Thanks Jonathon (and sorry to go O/T again db1!). The camper conversion is a DIY job that I am part way through at present. It actually sounds nice too, at the moment it has a straight through exhaust system (as shown on youtube). The welding repairs underway in the video are now completed. (See I do finish some things!)

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad