2 X Red TZD Turbo Estates { for sale} Photos here now

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Bxaholic
BXpert

Post by Bxaholic »

The A60 has a 1500 {1522 maybe i dont know} BMC diesel engine, not very good, by the standards set later on in diesel cars. They tended to break crankshafts if you exceeded 50mph! But this one still fires up, its a shame really its standing there, as the body is in excellent condition, with only face rust on it, the bumpers are shot, but my old man has brand new bumpers for it, maybe one day he'll get round to do it if only to get the registration back.

The first BX has served me very well, and i've looked after it, but to be honest the only expense i've had on it are the rear arm bearings. I just think its a bit of a waste sitting doing nothing in the garage, there again if theres no interest i'm not that bothered if stays there for years. I did take photos of it underneath yesterday only to find after i put it back in the garage they were very blurry, the underside of it is worth seeing, as i sprayed it when 5 years old and three times after, the boot/spare wheel area/cross member for example remains like new as when it came out of the factory. So if anyone if after one, they'll find it hard to find one like this one.

I've also decided since the first post after reading a few posts here, it can go with 12 mot for £500 {no offers} and the second one which is well worth saving can go for scrap value.
RED 1993 TZD Turbo EST. 182,661miles
My everyday car for last 9 years, about to be seperated {July 2008}, and then i'll be Bx'less first time in 18 years....
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I think the BMC(?) 1500 diesel engine was popular as a marine engine in the day with boat owners. I'd imagine it's excrutiatingly slow and incredibly rare now? If he does restore it would you mind posting some pictures up? Sorry to sound like an anorak but I'd love to see it.

Back o/t:

I would think that £500 is quite a fair price for your estate and a genuinely interested buyer would snatch your hands off. I've got a few things on the boil at the moment and if anything sells I'll certainly be interested. I don't think you're going to have it for too long though, as I said it looks a remarkable specimen.
Vauxhall apologist.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

My father had a 1985 Sherpa pick up, which had the 1798cc version of the same B series diesel engine. It really wasn't all that slow, certainly as fast as the 'York' diesel Transit that replaced it. It's main problem was the fact that it *hated* starting, on cold mornings it had to be towed.

It was better after it was rebuilt but.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Bxaholic
BXpert

Post by Bxaholic »

It is the same engine as the one used in the J4 van {blimey must be getting old to even remember one of those, and the J2!} my dad has quite a few of those 1522 BMC ones and the 1798cc ones as well, there is a Marina in the back here with that 1798 engine {an unfinished project of a few hundred years back}
Cavmad, you're right the 1500 was painfully slow, actually extremely slow, had one in the above Marina when I was a teen in the 70's, people of the same age as me had Tiger Avengers {wow remember them?!} and RS 2000's. So you could say I missed out on being a boy racer!

Back o/t

I think what i'm asking is fair price for both sides, I just have a feeling this BX will go on to do epic mileage {if continued to be watched after of course} Another thing I forgot to say about this car as well was the fact that the coolant has been changed on this car every 25,000, after a recommended tip from someone when I bought the BX i've always used Mercedes Benz coolant for its superb protecting properties, despite it costing an arm and a leg. The engine oil used has always been Shell Rimula, and Total LHM when changing that green blood.
My everyday car for last 9 years, about to be seperated {July 2008}, and then i'll be Bx'less first time in 18 years....
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Wasn't that BMC diesel really a revamped Perkins marine diesel or was it a Petter?

And wasn't it the same small Peugeot took over and developed into it's own small diesel for cars? Later a turbo was added.

My good mate Alan from Ripon had an Orion with that flat non-turbo Peugeot engine in it, at a time when Fords diesels couldn't be made to work well with a turbo. Bl**dy awful car: heavy, sluggish, manual steering and 0 - 60 in three weeks I think! My re-built Dyane was better than that. It only took a week to reach 60....

I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but a vague recollection tells me...
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

To take us further off topic...

The engine fitted to the A60 above is fitted with a dieselised version of the Austin B series engine, which in petrol form was fitted to all sorts of BMC vehicles from the A40 to the MGB and Marina. The diesel was fitted to a many boats and also BMC vans, and was available in first 1.5 but then 1.8. It has *nothing* in common with Peugeot engines.

The Orion would have used the crap Ford 1.6 Diesel, Fords own design, and a fairly pathetic motor. Nothing in common with Peugeot engines... The Peugeot link is with the Sierra/Cortina (and possibly Granada?) which were fitted with Peugeots old-but-good 2.3 diesel engine. Known as the 'Indenor' engine, it first appeared fitted to Peugeot 404 taxis and Peugeot commercials, and was gradually developed over time until it became the 2.5 TD lump in the 505. Not in the same league as the CX diesel but....

And, to bring us back to the world of Citroen, what was the standard fit H van diesel option? The good old Indenor XDP as fitted to the 404 above!
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Bxaholic
BXpert

Post by Bxaholic »

The Granada had the 2.1 and also a 2.5 peugeot engine fitted, the 2.1 was a crap engine, the 2.5 was painfully slow, there is a 2.5d Granada here.
Dont know much about the Ford Orion diesel engine but one thing i do know is that there were a few around here that went onto do epic mileages. One died just short of 400K.

Back O/T

Peterdrivepast.com wants the first BX.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

That's right, it was the 504 that got the 2.3 wasn't it...

The Ford 1.6 was reasonably reliable (more so than the later 1.8 in fact) it was just fairly underwhelming when compared with the wonderful XUD, being slow and unrefined!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

As the off topic king of this forum (nowt to be proud of I know!) a) didn't they also make a 2.3 diseasel Granada? and b) the best oil burner ever is the Perkins 2.0TD engine. Fact.

Bxaholic: is the first BX Peter wants the MOT'd estate?
Vauxhall apologist.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

cavmad wrote: the best oil burner ever is the Perkins 2.0TD engine. Fact.
I think your confusing 'best' with 'smokiest' ;-)
Bxaholic
BXpert

Post by Bxaholic »

Cavmad, its the MOTed BX Peter wants he is picking it up on the 14th.
Unless I sell the other Bx, i'll do the things required on it and get slightly more than scrap value, i wont allow it to be scrapped, as imo apart from fade marks on the hatch and much less polish its not far behind it, and much less mileage at 141k. Cavmad or anyone, you're not interested in a 1.9td Xantia SX in lovely condition by any chance?

O/T

I'm sure there was only the 2.1 and 2.5 in the Granada, and 2.3 in the Sierra. Dont know anything about the perkins 2.0td, apart they had a distinctive sound/noise! Some say it was a cracking engine whilst others said it wasn't, so i dont know. Its the same with the XUD, whilst i've had two BX's totalling 450,000 miles with no problems whatsoever, quite a few people have had head gasket problems with them.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Sticking a seperate new ad up for the Xant is probably best mate. Had a 2.3 Sierra diesel, truly dreadful car and almost as slow as a Carlton 2.3 diesel I once owned.
The Perkins Prima (I think they were called Prima) engines really are superb things: the n/a ones were quick/torquey enough (I had a couple of LDV200 crew buses with those engines in and they didn't half fly) but the turbo was something else. It'd embarrass many, many fancy petrol engined cars, especially when in the Maestro shell.

Peter's got hinmself a first class example of the BX there in my opinion and I'm sure he'll be pinching himself when he buys it. Can't be many left as nice as that now?
Vauxhall apologist.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

They were called the Prima, and I have to say the LDV 200's with the Prima engine were faster, more economical and altogether more pleasant than the later ones with the XUD9A... Why they barely made any XUD9TE models, I have no idea.
Bxaholic
BXpert

Post by Bxaholic »

I've had the xanty on the side of the road here since Sunday, a lot stopping but as yet no takers, not sure how much its worth tho. It can go for £500, do you think thats too much?

Hardly see any Maestros left on the road now, see a few Montegos now and again tho. I agree with you on the Sierra 2.3d, it was out of date when Ford introduced it, although my dad swears by them, he says unlike the newer cars of today he can do everything to it himself, but imo that doesn't make it a good car/engine.

Peter will be quite pleased with the Bx im sure, some people are very surprised i'm selling it and tell me i should keep it, but I honestly think the car will be better on the road rather than locked away in a dark garage i'm just pleased someone on here has had it, i wasn't going to sell it elsewhere.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

cavmad wrote: the best oil burner ever is the Perkins 2.0TD engine. Fact.

You are spot on Billy. Superb engine.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...