Genuine Request for Help .............. GTI 16V

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Daughter in Law

Genuine Request for Help .............. GTI 16V

Post by Daughter in Law »

Hi there
Firstly, thanks for letting me in!
My father in law, a proud owner of a J Reg Grey BX GTI 16V, died suddenly following a short illness about 8 weeks ago. His car is too big and too powerful for my Mother in Law, and we need to sell it and put the funds towards a smaller newer car for her.
The car has been used near daily until about 2 months ago, and now its used a few times a week, for short trips. It was MOT'd at the end of April, and is taxed. It has been kept in a garage overnight for the last 10 or so years (since he has had it), again until about 2 months ago. The interior is very tidy - never seen children action, so no nasty marks etc!
Any advice you could offer me regarding the best place to look for a suitable buyer etc would be gratefully accepted.
She did think of using it as a trade-in, but I know they would seriously under value it, and who knows what its fate might be ...................
M

Post by M »

Hello there

Very sorry to hear of yours and your mother in laws loss. If there is any way you can email me some photos we can put them up on the site and invite some offers in
(bxclub@bigfoot.com)
If you were able to MOT the car, it would add considerably to the asking price - there may be a member of the club near to where you / the acre is that can help out.
good luck.
Daughter in Law

It is just MOT'd Marty - about 9 weeks ago - all fine and dandy - its being driven now by my Mother in Law, till we can sort out her new car. She isnt happy driving it far, as its too big for her, not to mention too powerful!
M

Post by M »

Doh!

I read that as MOT's till the end of April - I am a numpty!

Well a decent valver with tax and MOT should command anything from about £700 upwards I would have thought, but I will let people like Dave and Doc put their values on it as they know more about valvers than I do!

You can advertise it on here, the BX16V club (someone will link in if you do an advert on here anyway) and there are other sites like pistonheads (again its likely someone will link in).

The CCC dont do non member adverts, but the word can be put out in the magazine / website that a non member has a desirable car to sell and Car Mechanics magazine do free adverts and I have shifted one of my cars that way (with free photo) as to Practical Classics magazine. Ebay could command a good price (especially if one of the pug boys wants the engine) but that would cost to list and sell and can be fraught with pitfalls.
Last edited by M on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daughter in Law

Brilliant!
I know my father in law would have wanted the car to be driven and looked after - he loved it! He was 69, so not doing bad to be driving a car like that!
Have emailed my Mother in Law to try and get some pictures over to me, and mileage etc.
Any advice VERY gratefully received!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Very sorry to hear of your loss, and condolences to you all.

As for the car, Some pictures would be really useful, as would an idea of mileage etc etc.
Prices do seem to be on the raise again for valvers, although I'm not sure if that was just a spate of people really wanting one rather than a trend given the cost of fuel and running a car now??

Whereabouts is the car based?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Daughter in Law

Its in Petersfield, Hampshire (about 1/4 mile from A3), but once she gets her new car (not bought yet) then we will probably bring it up to us (Junction 3 M3 - very close to M25 and M4, so very accessible)
Daughter in Law

This is currently the only image I have - will have to try and get down there on Sunday and take some more photos. The mileage is quite high, 183787, but very well cared for and maintained.

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Sad to have to sell a car under these circumstances but it happens to us all I expect! What kind of interior does the car have, and it might be worth mentioning if it has air con or anything like that.

Valver values have recently been on the up as Doc said. You might be able to find it a good home, but advertise carefully.....there are many Peugeot 205 owners out there who have no time for the BX and will cut one up to remove the engine alone. They sometimes pay silly money too!

Petersfield is about 20-30mins from me, so if members want it looking over I'm happy to help out, but it certainly sounds tidy. If I didn't already have one, I'd be over with some notes :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Daughter in Law

It's got air con, and an alarm. The interior is in great condition - never had children in it to mollest it!!
M

Post by M »

Dear DIL, I think our friend Kitch is angling as to whether it has a fabric or leather interior, if it has leather (and we now know that it has air) expect to be trampled in the rush.... :wink:
Last edited by M on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Not for me, unfortunately, but others may need to know if indeed the aircon works. As it was originally gassed with (R12) gas which is now illegal (!) but many (including my old GTi auto) are OK with something called RS24 - but in rare cases (who knows, this one?) have been converted to R134a.

Apologies in advance for the gobbledegook, but if it works then that's halfway there!

Obviously sad circumstances, but the more I follow this the better the car sounds and it should find a good home.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Daughter in Law

Hiya - thanks for interpretting for me - sorry to be a little 'green' but its a learning curve (though that doesnt mean I can be done over!!!!!!!). Fabric upholstery, and yes, the air con does indeed work. As far as I know, the only thing that doesnt work is the passenger side window motor, but I know thats quite easy to rectify. The only reason for sale is his death, otherwise he would still be driving around in it happy as Larry! (whoever Larry is!). It was maintained by a BX fanatic from near Epsom who moved to France a few years ago (probably known to many of you, but I cant remember his name now for the life of me).
I suppose I should admit at this juncture that I am a 2CV girl myself, although sadly, my last lady left me and was replaced by a modern faceless beast when me and my husband had to share a car (he couldnt get the gears!)
Thanks chaps - anymore questions/advice very very welcome!
Daughter in Law

My mother in law told me on the phone last night that there is also a spare bumber (??!!) and some other wheels in the garage...........
Daughter in Law

Also, she just told me that the car used to be serviced by John Witty et al, at Witmun Engineering (they race BX's too I think) so they will know of its provenance.

Update - she has JUST bought a new car, so we could do with getting this moving. We do want to get as much for it as possible, to put towards the new Peugeot 207 she has just bought!!!