flexi's required??

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
bx tgd
Confirmed BX'er

flexi's required??

Post by bx tgd »

Please help. I have a haynes manual coming from e-bay. most diy i am ok with on a car. My bx feont flexi pipes which somehow locate onto the lower part of the off side strut and push onto some metal pipes have perished and split. the car seems to drive fine with no apparent leakage of green life blood from the pipes. has anyone taken on the work before, if so how easy is it to replace the flexis and how do they locate to the lower part of the strut?? some kind of metal clip retaining a plastic body which the flexis go into. Does anyone have any of these flexi pipes and the plastic body for sale?? i am taking the bx to france in august. hope it is going to be reliable, i have every faith in her.. hope someone can help

geoff
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Suggest you try posting in the technical section with a query like this, but also try the search facility on this forum first: an awful lot of advice has been given on topics like this before. You're then in a better position to know whether you'll want to use the For Sale/Wanted sectionto get what you need.

This one's a DIY job for sure.

The front strut return pipes, to give them their correct name, are freely available from German Swedish & French (Citroen original parts), and Eurocarparts (copies). They both sell new metal clips, as the old ones lose flexibility & shape over time and can get mangled in the process of removal. Both companies have websites (if you don't order online it helps a lot to quote part numbers at the branches as not all staff can find BX parts easily).

A broken or perished strut return pipe is fair game for an MOT tester, who normally takes a hard line on anything involving Citroen hydraulic fluid, even if it's in the low-pressure part of the system which ultimately feeds back to the tank on the right wing of the car.

The job becomes clearer with the replacement part to hand: the 2 pipes at the top join a single lower section with a square opening, which sits flush over an opening at the back of the strut, held in place by the clip which fastens round the strut.

One tool is essential: a pair of carpenter's pincers for removal/fitting of the metal clips, which won't fasten/remove easily otherwise. Some people have used large jubilee clips instead of the Citroen clips, though these don't grip in quite the same way. It's also a good idea to give the lower strut area a thorough clean both back and front before embarking on the job: it gets quite mucky down there.

In general, for things like this, have a look on the BX DIY site: it's easily googled and mentions a lot of good BX-specific stuff.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
bx tgd
Confirmed BX'er

pipes

Post by bx tgd »

many thanks for your response. The job is now complete and all is well, the car seems more floatier now, weather this is true or not is not clear but its fixed and thats good, now i can make my way to the nationals this weekend and hopefully locate a tow bar for my bx....

fingers crossed

thanks again

geoff
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

New front strut return pipes should make very little difference to anything except the cleanliness of wheel arches/calipers/hubs, and need to buy lhm. Glad to hear they're done.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.