Clearout

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
artic-steel
BXpert

Clearout

Post by artic-steel »

I am having a clearout & 2 almost complete cars, one saloon (TXD silver) & one estate (TGD white) are going very soon, I booked their removal before placing this ad because i have to be brutal, clean out of space.

I will be at the national next Sunday so can bring parts there to handover in person or for onward travel.

Let me know what you want & i'll see if i've got it.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Sunroof cables? Don't know how they fit but mine are hanging out.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

demag wrote:Sunroof cables? Don't know how they fit but mine are hanging out.
Don't know how rhetorical this question is but...

The bit on the right-hand side is where the sunroof motor attaches in the centre...

...and at the other end the cables are attached to the black plastic bits at the sides of the sunroof. The whole cable run is under black steel covering, from memory about 3 sections per side.

These are 'before' images of mine, complete with rust and loads of crud. A good cleanup and lashings of grease works wonders!
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Ah thanks Baldbazza. Those are good piccies.

I'll have a more in depth look when I get time.

Does the headlining have to come out just to get a look up there?
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

Oh yes!!! Although you can see some of it with the sunroof open.

If you do drop the headlining, don't make the mistake that I did - take the sunroof glass out first. Can't remember exactly how but basically it's a case of tilting it up then undoing the screws around the inside of the glass (one of those flexible screwdriver thingies helps). From memory the black plastic runners fixed on the side of the glass can then be unclipped from the whitish sliders shown in the 2nd picture. All pretty straightforward really and I think I since saw it in the Haynes BOL.

Taking the headlining down is easy, albeit heavy in an awkward sort of way. Screws at the sides, visors, interior lamps/sunroof motor all out. Might have to take the pillar trims out as well (don't break the brittle interior lamps and careful with the trim clips).

On mine, the drain tubes were glued at each corner and were a bit of a fiddle freeing them and supporting the headlining at the same time. However this was helped by a large amount of sticky goo that was applied to the sides towards the front and which also needs to be removed (or at least the seal broken).

Then it's to work with a camera first (to remind you which of the many small bits went where!), then a wire brush, rags, tub of grease... then as they say, reassembly is the reverse.

Result - beautifully smooth operating sunroof which, one of these days, the sun will be out long enough to make use of!
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Sunroof cables? Don't know how they fit but mine are hanging out.
As far as I recall from my sunroof-dismantling days (Ah, the joy of having an estate now) the cables sit under covers which have to be removed carefully for access. In fact I see BaldBazza's mentioned this in his post. Do you still have the covers over the cable runs? Without the covers in place there's not a lot to stop the cables springing out of those runs.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Neil
Confirmed BX'er

Getting BX back on the road

Post by Neil »

Hi Artic Steel,

I just tried to send you a PM, but I'm not sure if it went or not. So apologies if you received it several times, in addition to this.

I wonder if you can help with the following:

I have just had an accident in my white 1988 16 RE. I've had it for exactly a decade, so don't want it to be the end of the road.

I would be grateful if anyone could assist with the following. Obviously I don't expect anything for free and would expect to collect:

The passenger side front wing + the plastic protective piece underneath.

The front bumper.

Both indicator lights.

Thank you.

Best wishes from Neil
Best wishes from Neil