TZD Hurricane, Breaking

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Does seem a shame to have chosen this demise for the TZD when there are club members out there that would have lovingly funded re-juvenating it for several further years or more. :shock:
I think what is a surprise is that you used to speak so warmly of it and then were unwilling to let it live on elsewhere. :(
Still, it is your car and therefore you can insist on breaking it as the choice is fully that of you and your family to make. :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Hurricane
BXpert

Post by Hurricane »

Does seem a shame to have chosen this demise for the TZD when there are club members out there that would have lovingly funded re-juvenating it for several further years or more. :shock:
The main problem was that we have another car that we need to get back on the road, which has been neglected in recent years and played second fiddle to this car, and it needed many parts from this one. So selling this one and still leaving the other in a mess wasn't really thinking straight, now we have the bits we need it will be much easier to get the other back on the road, and give it some TLC after so long.

Breaking this was an opportunity, an opportunity for the other car which I feel quite disgusted over leaving it on that driveway for so long, it will be back on the road asap.
K BX 19 TXD
J BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
J BX TZD Turbo
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Hurricane wrote:
1) It doesn't look like a wreck to me.
How the hell can you make that assumption without seeing it? The pictures above do it to much justice. You come up here and see for yourself if you like.

It is indeed not beyond repair, but we have neither the time nor money to repair it, and we chose this option.
3) By worth I take it that you mean in monetary rather than rational terms. My dog of a 306 is 'worth' scrap value, but in that it gets me anywhere I want to go without hassle, it is priceless to me. Ken expressed an interest in saving your car, which I believe is rather more worthy than weighing it in.
Yes it is monetary, if Ken wishes to save this car and is serious, then please PM me and come down with a trailer asap, but I'll be asking at least scrap value for it.
4) A secondhand radiator is not worth £150.
How much is it worth then?
In my (perhaps unusual?) view, a wreck is something that *looks* like it shouldn't be on the road, and will probably incur unwelcome attention from the boys in blue. The car in question looks presentable, and (dare I say it) pretty smart from the obligatory 10 feet. Not a wreck in my book.

This forum contains many enthusiastic and mechanically able individuals who have the time, patience and spare parts to resurrect most BX's, and an excellent base for such an undertaking would be a presentable (and apparently not terminally rotten) car like your own. For a keen DIYer often the most difficult (and potentially expensive) problem to rectify is bad paintwork, which on your car is seemingly above average.

My reply took issue with the way in which your response made a judgement that your car was beyond repair based on an undiagnosed fault, when 'beyond repair' is IMHO is not a phrase in many BX club members vocabulary, and which I certainly feel a wave of anger and frustration whenever I hear it. Often heard coupled with 'buy a newer car'.

What you choose to do with your car is entirely up to you, and I'm not suggesting otherwise, and I know that it is your prerogative to recover the expensive bits that you had fitted and weigh in the rest to recover as much money as possible from the same, but this is the reason why so few BXs exist. And un-rotten Hurricanes are rare. So as an enthusiast and keen DIYer, I am surely permitted to lament this.

Oh, and I have just fitted a rather superior Nissens radiator to my 306 (superior to the previous rotten Valeo in that it has a galvanised core) which I bought secondhand off ebay for under 20 quid. Perhaps that's a reasonable indicator of the potential going rate for a secondhand radiator.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

It's a shame Ken was denied a decent opportunity to save this but there you go. I'd be amazed if you got even fifty quid for the rad on eBay or anywhere else to be honest. No matter how much it cost new it's second hand now and only worth perhaps £35 at most to most people.
Vauxhall apologist.
M

Post by M »

The thing is as Martyn says the TXD is better bodilly, but had a few issues. The TZD wasnt as good boddily, nor pipe-ily nor mechanically, so in deciding to take the one off the road and scrap it they are keeping another going. I think its now got to the point that the amount of work needed to get the TZD back into RO would be beyond most of us on her (probably not Ken or Doc or even Jon). But i do know that time is of the essence in shifting the TZD.
It needs to make way for the Micra. :wink:
I do think the rad is worth only about £50 tops though. Martyn if you havent already - try to salvage the braided water hoses from the block - they cost a bomb from Citroen.
Hurricane
BXpert

Post by Hurricane »

^ Ta, I'll try and get off what I can.

It's only got a couple of days left tops, just removing the front seats now and a couple more bits.
K BX 19 TXD
J BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
J BX TZD Turbo
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If the body has got rot then it's probably not worth saving, but it looked good on the photos.

I'd be very wary about listing your parts on ebay, they are renowned for fetching very little.
I bought a set of Hurricane seats a few years ago now, £30 and I was the only bidder, same as the brand new in box turbo rad, £20 and only me bidding.
They think it's all over, it is now!
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Do you (or anyone else) have a height corrector I could have please?
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Oh, sorry.

Front. :D
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.