GTi Engine + Gearbox + Bits.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
roy.hassell
BXpert

GTi Engine + Gearbox + Bits.

Post by roy.hassell »

" And now for something completely HEAVY !"
Once again the car is the GTi 8Valve manual with one previous owner.
It was apparently fed on a diet of Mobil 1 from new, changed in its twilight years to Halfords own Fully Synthetic. Mileage covered is about 109K with History.
So what is for sale this time ?
Whats Good,
Engine, gearbox, starter motor, alternator ( dubious function ),inlet and exhaust manifolds, exhaust if wanted, ECU Unit, Air Flow Meter, Injection System, NO HP PUMP, water pump, distributor, leads, coil, ignition amplifier, etc.
Whats not so Good,
Collection from Basingstoke only, you will have to remove it from the body yourself and as I have no lifting gear, you will need to provide your own !! Sorry.
However,
Can be seen and heard running prior to your dismantling to ensure you are happy.
How does £185.00 for the lot sound. ( COMPLETE ONLY )
Feel free to pm me with interest and/or comments.
Once this is sorted the follow through will be a non leaking Radiator at £30.00 plus if you want to risk it, carriage at cost, or collection.
Once again pm's gratefully received.
Thanks,
Roy.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Is that £185 for the engine and box Roy? if so that's big money you know, and a complete car could be had for less and driven away. Also most scrappys would only charge £50-£100 tops for the engine and about £20-£50 for the box and they would be removed for buyer.
No disrespect but I think you'll struggle to see that kind of money for engine and box.
Vauxhall apologist.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Agree with you there, Billy!

A complete 8v GTi with MOT until March 2009 and Tax for a couple of months, went last week on eBay for only £155 (and it looked pretty decent too!).

I very nearly went for it myself, but I've still got the "only one car space" problem here! :( (Did you see it? T'was in Macclesfield IIRC?)

@Roy,
It would need to be bloody near perfect, with low miles, very clean, and already removed, to be genuinely worth that much money!
Good luck to you if you get it, but I seriously doubt whether any BXClub member would be prepared to pay such an overinflated price.

Regards,

Dave
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

And all these years I've been bloody giving engines away for free.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I could probably have retired by now if I was more mercinary....
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
roy.hassell
BXpert

BX GTI Engine & Box.

Post by roy.hassell »

OK you guys. I bow to your collective knowledge. I genuinely have no idea of the value of BX Bits. So in view of that lets call it £100.00 then.
Does that make more sense bearing in mind it comes with all the bits ?
Your comments are welcomed,
Roy.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

As others on here will concur, I'm a bit of a fan of the GTi (8v). I can only say (please don't misunderstand, I think it has a value) that I doubt any BX owner would consider all the effort in removing the engine and refitting it to another BX to be worthwhile. Maybe if it was a TD with A/C...

As has been pointed out a decent GTi can be got from anywhere between £0 and £300 (or more for low mileage examples). My synthetic oil fed and utterly cared for, 1 owner GTi auto (albeit with 208k on it) cost much less than £200. OK, the owners knew it might be worth more, but realistically it was what someone was willing to pay.

And that goes for the GTi you have. Is the rest of the car not worth saving and removing the engine is staving off a trip to the scrappers? Either way, in my opinion, no matter how good the engine is and even with it removed, it's still a case of asking for offers and seeing what you can get. Sad but, I think, true. As it is still in the car, needing removal: £50?

HOWEVER. There is a possibility: Peugeot owners... try advertising on a Pug forum... A tired 1.6 205 GTi would be an interesting project recipient, maybe? Just a thought.

Best of luck, though Roy.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

It's the engine and box he's selling Phil, not the whole car.
Roy, realistically as stated probably fifty quid tops as it's still in the car and even more realistically you'd be very lucky to find someone full stop if still in car though that shouldn't stop you trying.
As suggested above try a 205 owner's froum as the engines would suit one of those.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sorry, didn't make myself clear ( I know it's just the engine, but it's in the car), but I understand what you mean. I really hope the engine finds a good home - whatever car it ends up in 8)
roy.hassell
BXpert

Post by roy.hassell »

Thank you Phil for your constructive suggestions, I do actually mean that and I am not taking the xxxx !
As I work my way through this quagmire I have received similar suggestions to yours in that the Peugeot site might well be a better option as the Peugeot ' boys ' I am told, tend to throw their pennies around whereas complete BX's seem to be available for peanuts ( wrong way around when you take the vehicles into account, in my opinion ).
I could go on for ages but enough I feel is enough.

As for cavmad, well I am sorry ' mate ' but it seems I can do no right in your eyes so I guess its down to a duel of stale buns in the early morning mist. I have arranged for Pamela Anderson in her Baywatch 2 piece to be my second so that at least will give you something to look at and perhaps give me a chance to get a bullseye !
roy.hassell
BXpert

Post by roy.hassell »

Due to the lack of knowledge on my part IF there is any interest the two prices above are now cut by at least 50%.
Yes I know the engine,gearbox, and all the bits are in the car, not removed, but I do not have the facilities to remove them and with the posted wisedom, I would probably be wasting my time at any price !
So there you have it,

Engine, Gearbox and all that £65.00 complete except HP Pump.
Radiator after the event £15.00

Over to you Chaps.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That's got to tempt someone. BX or Pug. Best of luck, Roy.
roy.hassell
BXpert

Post by roy.hassell »

Thanks Phil.
Roy.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

roy.hassell wrote:Thank you Phil for your constructive suggestions, I do actually mean that and I am not taking the xxxx !
As I work my way through this quagmire I have received similar suggestions to yours in that the Peugeot site might well be a better option as the Peugeot ' boys ' I am told, tend to throw their pennies around whereas complete BX's seem to be available for peanuts ( wrong way around when you take the vehicles into account, in my opinion ).
I could go on for ages but enough I feel is enough.

As for cavmad, well I am sorry ' mate ' but it seems I can do no right in your eyes so I guess its down to a duel of stale buns in the early morning mist. I have arranged for Pamela Anderson in her Baywatch 2 piece to be my second so that at least will give you something to look at and perhaps give me a chance to get a bullseye !
Roy, a couple of points: firstly you do not have to apologise to me mucker, your views are your views and if you want to advertise your stuff however you see fit that is, of course, entirely your perogative. I was just trying (and probably failing!) to point out what I thought would help out.
Secondly it's not a case of being able to 'do no right' at all, not everyone is going to agree on everything and (to me at least) it's no big deal fella.
Not a fan of Pamela Anderson sorry but make that Emma Bunton and I'll walk to your house from here and paint targets all over myself so your stale cakes don't miss!
Vauxhall apologist.
roy.hassell
BXpert

Post by roy.hassell »

Right oh.
I consider that us kissed and made up.
Lets move on ol' cavmad.