BX Meteor for sale

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Beekeeper

BX Meteor for sale

Post by Beekeeper »

BX Meteor ’91 H plate 1.6 petrol 79K going to be scrapped unless someone could use it for spares. No tax or MOT and is declared SORN. It was used regularly until May, hasn’t been started up since but should be OK for towing. Happy to answer any questions and open to offers.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Any faults with the car yoo are aware off, and most importantly how much is it! :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Beekeeper

BX Meteor for sale

Post by Beekeeper »

The car is my father's and was running OK but I did not think it was worth putting it through the MOT since he was finding the clutch heavy and he occasionally had problems with the gears. When I drove it I felt that the suspension was hard and I reckon the spheres needed replacing. The engine ran OK and was reliable but like any car of its age it was starting to use oil which I suspect was via the valves (I had a BX19 with a similar problem). The doors are rust free and electric windows work, seats in good condition, tailgate, windscreen, rear light clusters, headlights, sidelights and wing mirrors good, front wings OK except for a scrape on offside wheel arch, bonnet fine although it looks as though it was replaced before my father bought the car about 14/15 years ago (only one previous owner) and it is not quite the Meteor grey colour. Back rear offside panel also looks like it was replaced as there is rust down the seam where it is welded to frame inside the rear offside door area (probably accident damage and it wasn’t under sealed properly). Tyres have had their life as well as the exhaust. Just to correct the ad, I got the mileage wrong, it’s 90K not 79K. I'm looking for about £115 ono.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sounds like a donor car to me TBH. Best of luck, but in these times a good set of rust free panels/doors, electric window regulators etc. will be more attractive to some than a non-runner 16. Do you have the space/time/inclination to break the car yourself?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Beekeeper

BX Meteor

Post by Beekeeper »

Could do but there's the issue of sending the parts to the buyer which I am not sure of the costs, etc, if they don't live within a reasonable distance. Any advice would be welcome as I don't want to send perfectly good parts to the crusher. As someone who has spent his fair share in scrap yards looking for the right part, I would like to see as much of the car reused as possible.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I know there are several members in your neck of the woods...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

:? IMO this car could still do someone a good turn, but I know 16s aren't very popular and winter has drawn in, credit crunch etc etc.

Have to say though that I got my 16 Meteor for £100, fully up and running with MOT and tax. Granted the seller wanted a quick sale, but...

Could you try starting it up? since even if someone wanted to tow/trailer it, that's the most important factor.

Cheers,

Mark.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

To get the suspension raised I mean.

Mark.
Beekeeper

Post by Beekeeper »

Mark, I tried at the weekend but the battery needs charging. I'll be giving it another go this comming weekend when I next visit my father as I know it is impossible to tow it with another car unless the hydraulics are running for the suspension, brakes and steering.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The 16 petrols do get a bit of a undeserved rough deal, I was very surprised using mine at the weekend doing 280 odd miles on £30 worth of fuel all at motorway speeds, it was quiet comfy and responsive. That calculates to be over 42mpg! Cant argue with that. This meteor needs a loving new home, I hope it finds one.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Beekeeper

Post by Beekeeper »

Thanks for the sentiment Roverman, I'm in no hurry to get rid of it yet so I'll do my best to see some other BX enthusiast benefits from its demise as it has given 15 years of good service that deserves a better fate than the crusher.