Possible Change of Circumstance.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Possible Change of Circumstance.

Post by Tim Leech »

As we know the most popular phrase at work is the "credit crunch", the two worst affected areas are the housing market and the motor trade. As some of you may know I work in the latter.

I wont go into too much detail, but after a meeting today which involved a "restructure" and "salary review" is going to leave myself and quite a few people very much worse off next year but thankfully still employed for the time being so we can try and ride out the storm.

The reason for this post is my biggest non essential outlay each month is my collection of motors, storage costs insurance etc. For now there is no immediate rush to do anything, I would rather live in a box than sell my SD1, the Xantia and TRS have no real value at all and the 16v is still in need of alot of work and would be used as a donor if I sold it.

So it is with heavy heart that I may think about parting with the GT.

The question to you boys and girls is, if someone is serously interested in a unique car that thay can cherish please let me know. If you want a cheap run about to be used in all weathers then with respect pease dont bother!, it needs to be garaged and used sparingly really to preserve what is a very rare BX.

Thanks.

I am sorry to have to talk about this but its a case of needs must.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
roughbert
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Possible Change of Circumstance.

Post by roughbert »

Roverman wrote:So it is with heavy heart that I may think about parting with the GT.
Have you considered swapping for a decent estate which you can sell to - er - me?
David Brown 1190
LDV Convoy
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Tim don't rush into this. This is a BIG decision. You may regret it later. No chance of just laying it up for a while?
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Only if it comes without the louvre :wink:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

demag wrote:Tim don't rush into this. This is a BIG decision. You may regret it later. No chance of just laying it up for a while?
The problem I have is that the new "arrangment" will last at least for 12 months to see what happens, laying the car up is not a problem but finding somewhere to put it maybe as it needs storing inside ideally. At this moment in time Im paying best part of £100 a month on storage, my drive isnt big enough for all of them.

Im not desperate as of now but will need to do something sooner rather than later, plus is has 11 months MOT and has just been serviced/cambelted so is more saleable but obvioulsy being this time of year I will struggle
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Why not sacrifice the the TRS, keep the GT & just buy a decent cover for it to save on costs, its not like you will have to leave it outside for years, just until your financial security looks up. That wont do it any harm.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Sorry to hear the news Tim, perhaps not the best time for your company to have brought it up - at least wait till after Christmas!

I don't want to pry or anything, but is there an option to give up on the company car and take extra salary in lieu, just ride around in a cheap BX or similar?

Best of luck anyway.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I can hand back the company car and save the tax I pay BUT they wont reimburse me, but as the car is a demonstrator if I dont use it to go home in etc it will just sit there so they wont pay me anymore. I also get a fuel allowance which I wouldnt have if I used my own car.

I will see what happens in the new year when it kicks in.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Isn't the Xantia more replaceable than the GT? Surely the GT is the one to hold on to - Xantia are still 2-a-penny
As an alternative, do what I did with the Triumph. Buy a decent cover for it (and I can recommend one which is breathable, doesn't leak and has lasted 3 years without deterioration) and find a caravan storage place. There should be one near enough - when you think how many people have caravans but no where to keep them.

I was happy with the security where I kept the Triumph and it was a gravelled area so no weeds/grass etc. That cost £200 for a year.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Any other Xantia yes, this one was owned by my late father from new and is like part of the family hence why Ive hung on to it.
nstarmore
BXpert

Post by nstarmore »

BX Bandit wrote:Xantia are still 2-a-penny
pre-anti sink series ones in that condition certainly aren't, although, I suppose, compared to the GT they are.

Personally, I would love to take on your GT tim but I have neither the sort of money that you should expect for something like that and the garage is still full up with 16valve unfortunately but I do hope that if you do still have to get rid that it goes to as loving a home.
Nic

- 1995 Xantia SX TD (daily hack)
- 1987 BX 16V (project)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

My Xantia is one of the very first anti sink models, its a Nov 94"M" with drivers airbag and the Chevrons in the grille, I will hold on to the GT until I can find a suitable candidate and will adevrtise it in the Citroenian and Car and Classic if needs be. I really dont way to get ride but who knows what 2009 holds.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Roverman wrote:Any other Xantia yes, this one was owned by my late father from new and is like part of the family hence why Ive hung on to it.
Ah sorry Tim I didn't realise that, very understandable. I could never let my grandads Triumph 2000 go for similar reasons. Consider the caravan storage option as it may be better than you thought. I was pleasantly surprised to place the T2000 there for a bit.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The Xantia is in just one of those places sitiing between some old Jags and lots of shiny new caravans which is paid up until April 2009.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

In my experience putting up adverts without a price is almost pointless Tim. Give people a clue on the price and whether it's definately up for sale and you'll soon sort the genuine ones out from the penniless fools (not that anyone on here is a penniless fool I'm sure).
I expect you'll be gutted to see it go but at the end of the day it is just a car and your financial well bing is surely more important? Possibly be worth asking the buyer to give you first refusal should they sell it again in the future too?
Vauxhall apologist.