Electric Diesel fuel heater

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Electric Diesel fuel heater

Post by ed4ferrets »

Earlier BX's were fitted with these, anyone have one for sale?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

They were?
Why the hell would you want one Ed?
You're not going that evil veg oil route are you??????
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

..that_
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Especially not on a Lucas pump!
You'll kill it!

BTW, what the bleeding hell are you doing up at this time of night mate?

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I'm less sure that such a thing ever existed, certainly for the UK market anyway.

There are plenty of aftermarket inline fuel heaters out there, but you'd be better off with a fuel/coolant heat exchanger.
this might be a signature
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

docchevron1472 wrote: You'll kill it!
Yes, I'll second that. Lucas pumps are great performers but such delicate little flowers. They like only real dino diesel with added lubricity and if given a strict diet of that, last forever and a day. Even if they become incontinent in old age, as they frequently do, it's a doddle to replace their seals.

I rate them as being better performers than the Bosch VE. The only thing the Bosch has going for it is it's toughness.

When I strip my dead one I hope it'll reveal just waht damage veg or bio does to them. It can act like the health warning on the side of a fag packet...

Later XUD's had a small fuel heater under the fuel filter housing and it was thermostatically controlled. In the cold the fuel runs around a labyrinth cast into the thermostat housing before entering the filter proper. These can be recognised by the fact thay sit on top of the thermostat housing and have a domed lid. I reckon it would be feasible to transplant one onto an earlier XUD by exchanging the whole thermostat housing.

However well you heat veg before showing it to a Lucas, it'll still spit it's dummy eventually. If you really want to go veggy, a Bosch pump is an absolute must.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

What early XUD-engine'd BX's did have was a fuel pre-heater built into the water pump inlet manifold, on the back of the block. These were notorious for going porus, and were a bit of a load of bollocks really. Bypassed, the engine still works just as well as it ever did.

For a decent veg-oil set up, you need twin fuel tanks, a change-over (divert-type) valve on both the flow and return, pre-heating, line heating, tank heating and a shut-off fuel bleed timer.

And a bosch pump. (although a Lucas one will last a very long time if the setup is done like this, as you never overload it with viscous SVO, it's always at temperature.)

I've had plans to do this for ages (and now finally all the bits) I'd budget on spending the best part of £500 to do it all properly.

Thereafter you do of course need a supply of oil, and the ware-withall to pre-condition it as necessary (filtering, handling etc.)

A lot of effort really. Does your mileage warrant it?
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Don't the seals on Lucas pumps tend to react badly to anything other than dino diesel, or have I been misinformed?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Veg oil is still more expensive that diesel, so i've stopped using it....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Costco apparently do the best prices on SVO.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Dont know what their prices are like, however, i doubt its 50p a litre cheaper than diesel which is what it used to be & worth taking the risk for pump damage.

If its just a few pence cheaper, i'd rather use bio-diesel which is slightly safer. Infact the best oil to use is sunflower, its got a lower viscocity & can work much better in winter (doesnt freeze as easily) than standard rapeseed, downside is that its more expensive.....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

mat_fenwick wrote:Don't the seals on Lucas pumps tend to react badly to anything other than dino diesel, or have I been misinformed?
Lucas seals fail even on the finest dino Mat. It's very common to find a Lucas weeping from the throttle and fast idle spindles. The upside is the seals are very easy to replace and it can be done in-situ as well :D

Experiments I've done with old Bosch seals show they react to veg after a while and on the Bosch it's a much more involved job to replace them. new seals though are good for veg and bio, being (I believe) made of viton.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

DavidRutherford wrote:I'm less sure that such a thing ever existed, certainly for the UK market anyway.

There are plenty of aftermarket inline fuel heaters out there, but you'd be better off with a fuel/coolant heat exchanger.
No, assuredly UK BX's were indeed fitted with the electrical diesel heater in question, my grandfather purchased an early MK2 19RD estate when it was about 3 years old (registered late '86 IIRC) which was fitted with a Bosch pump and the electrical diesel heater. I believe C15D vans of the same period were also so equipped...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

citrojim wrote:I rate them as being better performers than the Bosch VE. The only thing the Bosch has going for it is it's toughness.
Erm, I rate the Bosch MUCH more highly than the Lucas, although my car is presently equipped with a Lucas pump. Although that will change.
You can just do so much more with the Bosch pump if you're methodical.
When you get it all setup just right the Bosch pisses all over the Lucas.

CitroJim wrote:Later XUD's had a small fuel heater under the fuel filter housing and it was thermostatically controlled. In the cold the fuel runs around a labyrinth cast into the thermostat housing before entering the filter proper. These can be recognised by the fact thay sit on top of the thermostat housing and have a domed lid. I reckon it would be feasible to transplant one onto an earlier XUD by exchanging the whole thermostat housing.
Yep, it's dead easy, and a good thing to do!
David wrote:What early XUD-engine'd BX's did have was a fuel pre-heater built into the water pump inlet manifold, on the back of the block. These were notorious for going porus, and were a bit of a load of bollocks really. Bypassed, the engine still works just as well as it ever did.
Agreed. they are pointless PITA things.

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

MULLEY wrote:Dont know what their prices are like, however, i doubt its 50p a litre cheaper than diesel which is what it used to be & worth taking the risk for pump damage.

If its just a few pence cheaper, i'd rather use bio-diesel which is slightly safer. Infact the best oil to use is sunflower, its got a lower viscocity & can work much better in winter (doesnt freeze as easily) than standard rapeseed, downside is that its more expensive.....
Even ten pence per litre cheaper is worth it though surely? I ran a BX almost entirely on vege oil for quite a few months and far from harming it I swear it actually ran better, cleaner and faster on the stuff mate.
Vauxhall apologist.