Fuel filler wanted

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Fuel filler wanted

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Hi,
Has anyone got a spare fuel filler neck they don't mind parting with, mine has rusted away at the top so now the fuel flap is not held closed. At first I didn't think it was too bad so was going to try and remove it from the car and repair it, but once I started it became obvious there wasn't really much left to repair.

The car is an 8v GTi, not sure if the fuel filler neck is different at all on the different models; although I guess diesels may well be a different diameter

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I believe there was a thread which had a detailed breakdown of this particular part which can be ordered from citroen direct. It might be either in jonkw's blog of his ex-valver or another section? Try the search function to find it.

I doubt anyone has a spare, probably best just to get a brand new part(s) rather than 2nd hand one's which might not be upto the job anyway. Mind you, if someone does have a good cond spare, then ignore me :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

If you do seek out a S/H one, try and find one off a diesel; rather less likely to be rotten. Does increase chance of misfueling however (petrol's have a narrower neck into which the diesel nozzle does not fit IIRC?)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

2nd hand one's which might not be upto the job anyway
True, I guess there is quite a chance a second hand one may not be that much better. I wasn't sure if this was a common thing to rust through, or if I was just unlucky.

My first thought was just that new parts from Citroen are usually very expensve for what they are when it comes to Vehicle specific parts. I'll have to find out how much they want for it.
try and find one off a diesel; rather less likely to be rotten. Does increase chance of misfueling however
It is not too bad for me as I have only ever had petrols; I guess if you own one of each it is easier to forget and put the wrong stuff in, if you are having a bad day. Although if the diesel one is wider would I need a different fuel flap as well? or is it only the neck further in that is narrower on the petrol?

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

These were available new from citroen last time I checked, bought a used one for a 16TGS as my local citroen dealer are rubbish and got the wrong but 3 times! :roll:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Checking pr-net, it would seem that the diesel and petrol used the same filler neck and cap, so should be a direct replaement.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You gota be a bit careful there.
Initially all were the same, but later the petrol neck was modified with a smaller hole and a flap.

The correct part number for a petrol filler neck is : 96 127 564
and they are still available, or they were a few months back when I bought one!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Not cheap from Citroen though at £38 :(

Mind you at least a new one should have another 20 years life in it. :)

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Okay, I have got to get round to doing this now with the MOT approaching rapidly.

Unfortunately I can't get on to the citroen service site anymore to look at the diagrams.
I spoke to my local Citroen dealer who says on his information it says there is another rubber pipe or something that is needed as well as the filler neck itself, he wasn't sure if the design had been changed or not to need this extra part or if Citroen were just suggesting replacing this bit as well; the problem being this other mystery part is no longer available.

Docchevron, did you have to change anything else as well? When you say it was modified later, do you know when this modification happened? would that part number be the correct one for my car? 1989 8v Gti rp number 4244?

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

I had another look and found the blog refered to in an eariler reply.

thread

There seem to be a few part numbers refered to and am a bit confiused which one I need, as the blog also refered to getting the wrong part.

Mine does have a flap, did some bx's have a separate fuel cap? but I don't think the nozzle is particularly narrow, I don't have another to compare it to, but I used to be able to get the 4 star/LRP nozzle in when that used to be available, so I am concerned if I ended up with one too narrow that the cap part of my fuel flap wouldn't fit.

Thanks in advance
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k